Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by The Sherriff »

wildkard wrote:Difficult to say. I think the c&b could, in theory, make the gap look smaller. It'd certainly give the players a better idea of where the pitch ends, which is something I'm sure I've seen a couple of them complain about.
So by making the vast area a more distinctive colour, making it stand out more and drawing more attention to it … this will somehow make it look smaller?

Righty ho.

It will make it look 10 x times worse than it already does.
Made In Leyton 1974
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Made In Leyton 1974 »

fredjstanley wrote: It is cheaper for the football. Food as well as I went to one of the athletics sessions and my mate paid £7 for a hot dog I know I paid £5 from the same catering pod within the stadium for a football match.
I hope it's not due to inflation :thdn:
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

e10hammer wrote:It's not the colour of the covering that's the problem, it's the bloody great gaps everywhere, including those covered by the stupid trampolines, it is and never will be a stadium suited for football, especially when you read elsewhere that Spurs new stadiums worst seats would be comparable to the front row seats in the upper tier at our stadium.
Pretty much nail on the head.

However there are a few that still think its alright, the distance from the pitch isn’t a problem and that the view is alright despite sitting in a different postcode from the rest of the ground.

Least last season it was **** and cheap, in years to come its going to **** and expensive.

Its totally unacceptable for a football stadium.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Made In Leyton 1974 wrote:
I hope it's not due to inflation :thdn:
If you overcomplicate catering at the football, the end result is more inflation.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Just make it Claret and stick a West Ham graphic at either end like they've done elsewhere.

It's putting glitter on dogshit but that's still better than just dogshit.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

The Sherriff wrote:So by making the vast area a more distinctive colour, making it stand out more and drawing more attention to it … this will somehow make it look smaller?

Righty ho.

It will make it look 10 x times worse than it already does.
if it's a dark, it's a negative colour which will make it look smaller next to the bright green and give it a visible boundary.

still all lipstick on a pig.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

e10hammer wrote:It's not the colour of the covering that's the problem, it's the bloody great gaps everywhere, including those covered by the stupid trampolines, it is and never will be a stadium suited for football, especially when you read elsewhere that Spurs new stadiums worst seats would be comparable to the front row seats in the upper tier at our stadium.
I think treating the gaps as dead space is a complete waste.

With some decent planning they could incorporate bars/lounges in these areas. They would have to be lower than they trampolines but there is plenty of space for that. They could even be on ground level.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Mega Ron wrote:

With some decent planning they could incorporate bars/lounges in these areas. They would have to be lower than they trampolines but there is plenty of space for that. They could even be on ground level.
Don't they have to treat it as dead space for as long as athletics mode needs to be used every so often? That space becomes occupied by the lower tier.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

The Meet: Britain to face USA in one-day athletics competition at London Stadium
Britain's best athletes will take on their US counterparts in a new two-hour competition at the London Stadium next year.

'The Meet' will be held on 21 July 2018 and involve running, jumping, hurdles and relay events.

The US topped the medal table at August's World Championships, with Britain in sixth place.

"We have a great sporting rivalry and look forward to seeing which nation comes out strongest," said Adam Gemili.

The British sprinter was part of the men's 4x100m relay team that took gold on Saturday, ahead of the much-fancied US team.

At The Meet, athletes will score points for their respective countries in nine events. The format and athletes taking part will be announced early next year.

"This promises to be one of the biggest events in athletics in 2018," said Niels de Vos, chief executive of British Athletics.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40949809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Well, that'll be fun. Watching USA beat Team GB in 8 or 9 out of 10 events.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Surely nothing a few hundred tonnes of concrete can't sort out.

Fill everything up until the edge of the pitch and the upper tiers with concrete and start again, build upwards, turn where the back rows of the upper tiers are into bars.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Mega Ron wrote:

wizzo_66 wrote:
Don't they have to treat it as dead space for as long as athletics mode needs to be used every so often? That space becomes occupied by the lower tier.
It doesn't have to be permanent. Nothing else is. They can drop the areas in for when they are required. In the East/West they'd never need to be moved would they?
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

[quote="sanchoz"]The Meet: Britain to face USA in one-day athletics competition at London Stadium

Suppose we go through the qualifiers again for europa league next season and get drawn at home first leg. Looking forward to the re-peddled once in a generation malarkey.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The claret around the pitch won't be done until October / November according to ExWHU :lol:
gosling67
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gosling67 »

Johnnyboy wrote:The Meet: Britain to face USA in one-day athletics competition at London Stadium

Suppose we go through the qualifiers again for europa league next season and get drawn at home first leg. Looking forward to the re-peddled once in a generation malarkey.
Anniversary Games scheduled for the following weekend - Fri/Sat 27th/28th July
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

e10hammer wrote:, especially when you read elsewhere that Spurs new stadiums worst seats would be comparable to the front row seats in the upper tier at our stadium.
Moved one row back from front row top tier 1966 because the top row of the lower tier in front of me obscured the view. Seems to depend on the exact position but wasn't worth £1100 & no, I'm not a midget!
Chris BMU
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chris BMU »

Planning permission has been granted for the new entrance to Statford station at Gibbins Road on the Carpenters Estate which will provide a direct route avoiding Westfield.[/quote]

I have been looking out for news of this. I had rather hoped the new exit would be in place for the start of this season, don't see any reason why it could not have been.

But not heard a thing so looks like I was dreaming again. Anyone heard any updates?
njmacleod

Post by njmacleod »

Quick question - does anyone know if there are lifts up to the Bobby Moore Upper? My 80 yr old father has just been given a stick to walk with and the stairs may prove a problem now.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

njmacleod wrote:Quick question - does anyone know if there are lifts up to the Bobby Moore Upper? My 80 yr old father has just been given a stick to walk with and the stairs may prove a problem now.
Call the t/o ask to speak to the v kind Paul and explain. Your dad is probably entitled to an ambulant disabled ticket maybe even with a carer in the last row of the lower tier.

Worth a call and on this front the t/o were fantastic to me last season :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Well, that'll be fun. Watching USA beat Team GB in 8 or 9 out of 10 events.
They used to do similar meets for country vs country years ago. I remember going to a UK v US v someone else at Crystal Palace back when i was a nipper in the 80s

I expect the quality of the US team will be suitably diluted to ensure it is a fair contest