Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Corney Beal

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Corney Beal »

[quote="Hammers28"]More trouble at the delightful Westfield last night, this time resulting in a death (on the BBC website).

Stratford Centre, not Westfield.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Denzil wrote:How long is this mystery waiting list anyway? I just stumbled upon it on the official site and it got me thinking, I know previously they were bandying about 50k figures, is anyone on here actually on the waiting list and if so how far down the queue are you? Just out of curiosity more than anything as I've never actually believed how many people could possibly be on it but they appear to still be taking applications for it.

I'd guess at most that there are 10% of the figure they quote actually on it.
According to the club, I was on the waiting list, despite having never asked or paid to be on it, presumably because I had a membership. I think it would be fair to say that the chances of me buying a season ticket are ... fairly low.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

It’s easy to understand how any tax paying football fan would absolutely despise us now. The fact our rent doesn’t even cover cost of putting on the matches is quite ridiculous. Now a £100m court case, guess tax payer is ****ing out for that as well. In all honesty when I see the state of some of my friends working in NHs conditions it all feels very very uncomfortable.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Just a reminder that the London Assembly Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee is currently live from County Hall:

https://www.london.gov.uk/budget-monito ... 2018-03-21
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

This meeting is genuinely fascinating.
Tarte Encore
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tarte Encore »

Is the table configuration at the London Assembly based on the OS? The 2 sides are miles away from each other. If they didn't have mics they'd need megaphones.
I concur that it makes very interesting listening but when you get down to the nitty gritty they're all kind of insinuating, in one form or another, that it's been one calamitous f**k up from the outset. No surprise there then.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

bubbles500 wrote:It’s easy to understand how any tax paying football fan would absolutely despise us now. The fact our rent doesn’t even cover cost of putting on the matches is quite ridiculous. Now a £100m court case, guess tax payer is ****ing out for that as well. In all honesty when I see the state of some of my friends working in NHs conditions it all feels very very uncomfortable.
don't see why they would hate us. we pay the same taxes as everyone else and we've stood to gain absolutely f*** all out of it while losing our home and getting frogmarched into a cement tomb every other week.

infact, every other supporter with a club thinking of moving ground can get some use out of the whole thing as a perfect example of how not go about it.

they will hate our owners for certain though. to which i say join the ****ing queue.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Modern wrote:This meeting is genuinely fascinating.
Sorry i don’t agree, it’s just proving to me that there's far too many people using far to many words to sort out a problem that’s is very easy.

Listening to this lot skate around the elephant in the room brings home this will take years to sort out.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

the west ham fan is giving it to the lldc about the carpet
psychoscoredthelot

west ham sent the lldc a legal letter a week
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

I've been listening for about 20 minutes and it very much appears not only were Westham naive in signing the contracts to move to the LS but the operators and landlords also didn't have a clue either how to manage it
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

frightening that these two ex lldc people get paid so much but remember so little. one left 18 months ago so cant comment so would it not be better to have current people there to try and sort it all out now.
psychoscoredthelot

hammerman11 wrote:frightening that these two ex lldc people get paid so much but remember so little. one left 18 months ago so cant comment so would it not be better to have current people there to try and sort it all out now.
yes totally agree - one thought it was a good idea for the stadium to be under the mayors control and the other didnt

it was all rather fruitless really - although i did miss the last 25 mins of it
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

if the stadium is a 1 out of 10, with a new spirit of cooperation, a big naming rights deal and both parties looking to mutually invest significantly in improving the experience, i reckon it can get to a 3.

which begs the question whether that's even worth it. thrown enough good money after bad as it is.

put every available penny into a piggy bank and maybe if i live to 100 we'll have saved enough to knock the **** down.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Belchio wrote:I've been listening for about 20 minutes and it very much appears not only were Westham naive in signing the contracts to move to the LS but the operators and landlords also didn't have a clue either how to manage it
Perfectly summarised.

Nobody seems to have grasped what it was they signed.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Assembly discuss stadium handover
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132297
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

bubbles500 wrote:It’s easy to understand how any tax paying football fan would absolutely despise us now. The fact our rent doesn’t even cover cost of putting on the matches is quite ridiculous. Now a £100m court case, guess tax payer is ****ing out for that as well. In all honesty when I see the state of some of my friends working in NHs conditions it all feels very very uncomfortable.
What total and utter rubbish!

The only reason Tax Payers ‘hate us’ for this mess is because they are incapable of thinking for themselves and so have been easily brain-washed by incompetent and biased journos.

It’s completely incomprehensible that anyone of sound mind would blame the TENANT for this mess, rather than the LANDLORD!! Or more to the point the original decision-makers who saw fit to build a single purpose fixed athletics stadium that’s good for only a couple of weeks in the summer in the first place (and for nothing else) should take the blame!

It’s really simple: had they originally built a proper MULTI-PURPOSE stadium from the outset (rather than a mind-bogglingly expensive bodged retro-fit ‘attempt’) it would have cost LESS and made MORE.

For Gawd’s sake, the Retractable-Seated Stade de France was built for the 1998 World Cup, surely by the year 2012 we could be have upgraded on that, rather than the Dog’s Dinner we ended up with?! Headbanger
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

David Edmonds, the former LLDC chairman, revealed: "West Ham were very tough, very hard negotiators. If you only have one person to take the deal or not you tend to make compromises.

"That gives people on the other side of the table the ability to question whether you are fulfilling your side of the contract.

"I recall many conversations with (West Ham vice-chairman) Karren Brady about the 'look and feel' of the stadium.

"In the contract we promised to give the stadium the look and feel of their old stadium. But the interpretation of look and feel can be quite different.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 67361.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Up the Junction wrote:Assembly discuss stadium handover
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132297

Who'd have thought it!
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I heard Sadiq Khan on the news on the radio earlier blaming us for what’s going on at the stadium because there have not been these problems with other events there and he wants to understand what West Ham are doing differently.