Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by ooh look who it is »

Said it before but forget playing at home on Saturday August 18 with this going on :D

https://www.elrowtown.com/en/london

Liam
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Liam »

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ I think that last year was 2 - 3 weeks - but that was because the whole of the stadium had to be made 'clean' for the World Championships. The biggest part of the seat conversion in time and cost, is the East Stand - especially the middle in-fill seats. From now on, they will be left in place for the athletics with the lower tier moved forward with just some rows at the front at the ends removed to accommodate the track. How it was for the athletics before we moved in.

I think they estimate that it's about 10 days to do the conversion now - but that depends upon how much resource you throw at it - doing all the stands at the same time will take much less time but cost far more than doing them one stand at a time. As mentioned in the PHD agreement, E20 want to know if it can be reduced to 7 days and how much it would cost to achieve - presumably capital expenditure on some 'retractable' seats!
Thanks Wembley, so that means Karren might not be lying. I’m surprised.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Would there at all be a possibility that The Divs in charge could threaten the Landlords/Govt that they'll consider building a purpose built Stadium if they don't get more their own way or is this a definite no go option? The likes of Red Ken Slave are good for finer detail understanding of the contractual agreement, just wondered if this could be a tsctic used either way.

Surely we ain't constrained to obligating to 98 more years of putting up with what we have?
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

And once again I ask Brits, do Britain really need a 50,000+ athletic stadium at the expense of tax payers?
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Liam wrote:
Thanks Wembley, so that means Karren might not be lying. I’m surprised.
It's probably worth adding to Wembley's post that it's unlikely the stadium will need to go "full" Athletics mode for a very long time. It's an Olympic and World Championship requirement but isn't needed for general athletics meets. Also, the tendering seating contractors had the LLDC over a barrel as they were desperate to get a solution sorted due to high level and very fraught board meetings about potentially failing to provide the stadium to its required configuration for the 2017 championships.

"With experience comes efficiencies" says David Bellamy. But more importantly, with efficiencies comes more money for the contractors in the form of bonus payments for earlier turnarounds.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Colours never run wrote:Would there at all be a possibility that The Divs in charge could threaten the Landlords/Govt that they'll consider building a purpose built Stadium if they don't get more their own way or is this a definite no go option? The likes of Red Ken Slave are good for finer detail understanding of the contractual agreement, just wondered if this could be a tsctic used either way.

Surely we ain't constrained to obligating to 98 more years of putting up with what we have?
It would be very stupid and probably laughed out of the room. I don't know the costs but there is no break clause they could activate so they would need to buy their way out of the contract.

A better option for them to gain greater control is to sit back and let E20 run themselves into the ground, which is what seems to be their MO. Obviously the rest of us suffer in the meantime though.

Since hugh southon/Sullivan mentioned us potentially becoming a Portsmouth, the best get-out we have is going bust. We're probably losing that particular race to the bottom though by a nose.
Last edited by Red Kens Slave on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Thekorean wrote:And once again I ask Brits, do Britain really need a 50,000+ athletic stadium at the expense of tax payers?
No. But the business plan was for a multi-purpose arena that would be profitable for the taxpayer and therefore pay itself back and more.

Clearly they ****ed that up though.
Westaam
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Westaam »

Since we are forever to be in hock to summer events, and since there will be no need to solicit for extra stadium capacity after our club is picked up by its future owner for a smartly triumphant five pence with a flourish, why not take down the Trevor Stand and substitute it with cricket nets, a long jump warm-up pit, pop star jacuzzi, nail bar, reflexology tent, foot spa and shoe shine area, shove ha-penny arcade, paparazzi slaughtering zone, ice cream milk floats, hoisin duck wrap huts and carnival stalls?

Make mine a 99.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Thekorean wrote:And once again I ask Brits, do Britain really need a 50,000+ athletic stadium at the expense of tax payers?

they dont , just take a look at the state of Crystal Palace athletics stadium and surrounds to know that people dont care about athletics . All this legacy nonsense , means we're saddled with a white Elephant
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I won’t go into a massive essay on it but the stadium could’ve been multi-purpose. Stade de France is and works just fine. Someone somewhere needs to be held fully accountable for this mess.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

hammers92 wrote:I won’t go into a massive essay on it but the stadium could’ve been multi-purpose. Stade de France is and works just fine. Someone somewhere needs to be held fully accountable for this mess.

we balls everything up., the 02 , and now this farce. we just never learn
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

well with the O2 we got there in the end, hopefully the same will happen with OS. The £20m a year loss the stadium is making (due to the non retractable seating) will persuade athletics to decamp to the revamped Birmingham stadium after the commonwealth games. That's the hope. Our new owners (I said this is the hope) can buy the stadium outright, install permanent lower tier seating and address some of the non ownership problems. For some the Olympic stadium will never be home, but for me it works quite well but could be improved in parts.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

hammers92 wrote:I won’t go into a massive essay on it but the stadium could’ve been multi-purpose. Stade de France is and works just fine. Someone somewhere needs to be held fully accountable for this mess.
Coe, Livingstone & Jowell.

100%
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

chigwells finest wrote:to know that people dont care about athletics
Not strictly true as all the Athletics events held at the OS have been very popular and pretty much sold out all sessions.

However these are the big events, and it's the smaller events like the National Championships that really struggle to get big crowds.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think when all is said and done - the Olympic stadium / the London stadium whatever you call it.... it’s nothing to be proud of.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

The stadium would probably end up looking something like this (Cagliari FC)

https://footballtripper.com/wp-content/ ... aerial.jpg
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image too large, changed to link.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I was at all 3 england games in that stadium in 1990

It was in athletic mode and everyone pretty much was upper tier as you couldnt see anything in the lower tier, however....

We had to go in the lower tier for tge ireland game as it pissed down that much you were likely to drown in the upper tier

In 1990 all the grounds england played at had running tracks, turin was the only one i couldnt get in the upper tiers for and was stuck in lower tier and couldnt see a thing, it was thaf that taught me running tracks and football dont mix

I live near a top league 1 team who have a running track and its probably the tightest ground with a track, and its pants in there too
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

chigwells finest wrote:

we balls everything up., the 02 , and now this farce. we just never learn
The O2? What the most popular music venue on earth ? That one? :wink:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

PK wrote:The stadium would probably end up looking something like this (Cagliari FC)
That's better than our ground. The roof is about equal to ours though.
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

PK wrote:The stadium would probably end up looking something like this (Cagliari FC)

I would love that, even if it reduced our capacity a bit