Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

north123

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by north123 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:For me, the focus should be on improving the situation inside the stadium
Same route as us 3, all over 50 years of age, choice of pubs is getting better, from Hackney Wick to ground in walking order
The Crate. Serve Pizzas
Howling Hops serve smoke house bbq
The White Post
WHUFC Supporters club at Stour Place. ( members only £10 a year). Only been open a few games Starting to do food also being now being sponsored by the D Brothers / West Ham !
Trurib (members only £10 a year ). Rib burgers from the rib man , beer from Truman’s reincarnation
Finally The Plough at Swan Wharf. Serve burgers, hotdogs and Pie mash liquor

Short walk brings you to Turnstiles J , K, L, M etc Search on bridge generally painless taking minutes

After game same route but in reverse, The Crate and Hops don’t like team colours after matches and can get busy with locals but ok. By the time you sink 2 after the game the mad rush at Stratford has gone

Forgot to mention German deli, never used also Forman’s Salmon again not used membership only

Our favourite being The Plough good beer and food, 95% West Ham on match days can get busy decent atmosphere,
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42320746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Westfield bought out.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

north123 wrote:
Forgot to mention German deli
Possibly the best wurst in London.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

Coops wrote:[quote="nor

Possibly the best wurst in London.
Very nice bratwurst, £4.50.

Also the bottled beer selection in the German Deli is excellent and at good prices.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

And the Deli was open before the Spurs match when The Crate and Howling Hops were shut.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

More people should really go to the smoke and bubble decent beer, first beer is free
ironmat

Post by ironmat »

north123 wrote: Our favourite being The Plough good beer and food, 95% West Ham on match days can get busy decent atmosphere,
No more, its now a gamer's hangout. That combined with the way we played when Brighton visited really made me think it was time to call it a day...
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

Being as this is the direction the thread is running at the moment, does anyone know what's happening to that heavily graffiti-ed pub by Hackney Wick station? I'm surprised someone hasn't opened it up again since we moved into the stadium.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

sandbanks wrote:Being as this is the direction the thread is running at the moment, does anyone know what's happening to that heavily graffiti-ed pub by Hackney Wick station? I'm surprised someone hasn't opened it up again since we moved into the stadium.
It will most likely end up as a block of flats, as will most of Hackney Wick. There wont be many bars or shops, just homes that ordinary people can't afford.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

north123 wrote:Any reason we don’t get replays on the large screens at either end the ground,?
They are not allowed to show contentious incidents.
Wembley1966 wrote:Because they'd sooner show adverts for the B list sponsors the club has. Really annoys me - they show the match live when no-one bothers watching and as soon as there's something worth replaying (that's non contentious so they can show it), they switch to adverts.
I just assumed they couldn't be trusted to differentiate between contentious or non contentious so therefore just don't show any. Your logic seems equally believable though.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

On the subject of the big screen ..does every other club in the Prem also refuse to show replays of goals scored by the away team?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Westbourne Bill wrote:On the subject of the big screen ..does every other club in the Prem also refuse to show replays of goals scored by the away team?
Certainly a few of them .

I don't think all grounds have big screens anyway .

Old Trafford ? Don't recall seeing one there .
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

There are some vague rules around what can and cannot be shown on the big screens.

Replays are typically a no go as they more often than not show up a mistake from a referee.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

sandbanks wrote:Being as this is the direction the thread is running at the moment, does anyone know what's happening to that heavily graffiti-ed pub by Hackney Wick station? I'm surprised someone hasn't opened it up again since we moved into the stadium.
Coops wrote:It will most likely end up as a block of flats, as will most of Hackney Wick. There wont be many bars or shops, just homes that ordinary people can't afford.
Most of the residential development plans for flats around Hackney Wick have retail units at ground floor level - for shops, cafes, bars, etc. If the Lord Napier stays, nothing will happen until the adjacent area is redeveloped. They'll also open up more of the canal-side.

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... nsultation
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

sutts07 wrote:
It is the walk itself that I was saying is no real hardship. Around 200m different to Twickenham, and that was just a stadium I picked off the top of my head. Stadiums outside of London can be miles away from a station. Liverpool and Man City are two big ones that I can think of off the top of my head where i have always had to get a bus or a taxi.

I can only say that with the 80 odd football stadiums I have been to I must have been extremely lucky and bar a handful of times not experienced anything similar to reaching the LS and of those most would have organised park and ride schemes or shuttle busses laid on from stations for all fans not just the disabled.

What is wrong with catching a bus to a stadium in any case? The fundamental difference is that when you catch a bus to the Etihad you did not still have to walk some distance to reach the stadium, the bus actually stops close by. Just like the busses used to run down Green Street and Barking Road, Comparing where you would get dropped off at the Etihad in a taxi to where you would be dropped off at LS are nothing like each other. Likewise at Anfield. There are very few stadiums that are situated in a large transport free zone like the LS is.

I went to Twickenham last month and the walk is nothing like that at Stratford. I didn't use any short cuts I just did the obvious route everyone else did and the atmosphere and availability of stalls, food and shops en route was completely different. Perhaps because like at Upton Park you weren't walking through a large open expanse of nothing for much of the time. There were places where you could seek shelter or shops you could go in to pick a few bits up or pass the time. For those who wanted to avoid the queues walking to Twickenham station shuttle busses were laid on to take people to Richmond Station.

Now the adverse weather is here we'll see how many continue to claim the walk is no real hardship. It's not a particular hardship to me, although I've recently picked up a foot injury so walking longer distances has been painful but normally it is just an utter bore. For many others though it is a hassle and takes the enjoyment out of the day especially when they are now just sitting ducks in the event of any act of terrorism at so called security checks,
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

And I'll say it again, all these I'm alright jack people going on about how easy it is for them to access from PML / Hackney Wick. Imagine it with another 20000 doing what you do and imagine when there is all the construction going on preventing you access in the manner you have now. You'll soon change your tune.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Not fussed about the walking distance from Stratford Stn to the OS (entry A), about the same as parking up at my parents house at the bottom of Caulfield Rd in East Ham and walking through the High St & Wakefield St to the Bobby Moore. The route though, particularly once on the main site is much more open, exposed to the elements & frankly, boring. Just head down and get a trot on.
Last edited by JCA on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Kialos wrote:Perhaps because like at Upton Park you weren't walking through a large open expanse of nothing for much of the time. There were places where you could seek shelter or shops you could go in to pick a few bits up or pass the time.
Lots .. the majority actually - of the open space that seems out of place at the moment is being built on in the coming years, primarily housing, but also office space with bars and shops etc. at ground level. The stadium will be surrounded by new communities with a population of 10,000 households.

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... and-living" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It won't be such a desolate place for very long... You will be able to tell your kids you remember when all this was just (west)fields.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

"It won't be such a desolate place for very long... You will be able to tell your kids you remember when all this was just (west)fields."

Brilliant one liner.........
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

sutts07 wrote:There are some vague rules around what can and cannot be shown on the big screens.
Let's face it - they're only there so the likes of Ronaldo can admire themselves in close up.