Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by wildkard »

ornchurch ammer wrote:If you think that those searches are a deterrent to anyone with a serious will to cause damage then don't use too much common senses as you probably haven't got a lot to waste :lol:
I didn’t say that they would deter every possible type of miscreant. But they will some. A baddie may well think twice about targeting somewhere with any sort of search. They cannot thoroughly search 60k people, it’s just not possible.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Row X wrote:After the game I avoid the stop/go signs by going nowhere near them.

I'm in the Booby Moore end and I walk inside the stadium in the inner ring until I get to around block 132, then when I leave the stadium I'm by the orbit, I cross the bridge that takes you towards the orbit. Then I cut accross the lawn towards the blue iron foot bridge that goes over the river, down the steps the other side then under the railway on to Warton Road, get to the top and you're on Stratford High Street. The only 'bottleneck' you get that way, is when you get to the blue iron bridge and that is very slight.
That's interesting, the blue iron bridge used to be open before the game but blocked afterwards - I was told by a copper that it was considered a safety risk if too many people tried to go over it at once.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I see our carpet is on its way ! now for proper seats !!!!!!!!!!!!!
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

We've been using the "blue iron bridge" almost from day one. It was closed on a few occasions last season but generally open. Sometimes busy and can get a bit muddy when wet as it is just a red clay pathway. It was extremely busy on Monday night, but we put that down to more people staying on right until the end of the game. Quickest way back around to Stratford Station past the Carps / Builders, never any queues on the main entrance side of the station.
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

JCA wrote:We've been using the "blue iron bridge" almost from day one. It was closed on a few occasions last season but generally open. Sometimes busy and can get a bit muddy when wet as it is just a red clay pathway. It was extremely busy on Monday night, but we put that down to more people staying on right until the end of the game. Quickest way back around to Stratford Station past the Carps / Builders, never any queues on the main entrance side of the station.

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't let too many people know :shock:
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 975 likes

Post by e17 »

e17

Post by e17 »

First visit back in two years. Heartbreaking

costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Are those ^^^ flats for social housing? Can't see anyone paying to live around there.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

costa75 wrote:Are those ^^^ flats for social housing? Can't see anyone paying to live around there.
It is London. People will pay good money to live anywhere in London
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

e17 wrote:First visit back in two years. Heartbreaking

Piss take. Even the overpriced yuppie flats have been honoured with the good Lord's name in vein.

God I hate those 3 c**** for what they've done, when you see reminders of what's happened since moving.
e17

Post by e17 »

The part that took my breath away, is I work down the road from South Acton. There, they replaced old rundown dangerous estates with absolute duplicates of “Upton Gardens” called “Acton Gardens” about 4 years ago.

They look like exact duplicates. Like they just copied the exact same template.

It could literally be South Acton. There’s NOTHING to symbolise what once lived there. One of the folks I was with had never been or seen the old place, and there first words as we stood there was “there was a football stadium here?”

My brother warned me not take a detour as I passed through, should have listened.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hold the phone.

Anyone else just got the email about the club changing the tiers behind the goal to be squared off and moving the front of the stand closer to the pitch by up to four metres?!

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ented-fans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:scarfer:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by Rio »

Yes. Was just about to post.

The key in the whole thing at the moment is 'explore'

We're approaching season ticket renewal time.

Nothing to report here. Change the lightbulb back to amber
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Text from the email:
In line with the Club’s ongoing commitment to ensure the best possible matchday experience for fans at London Stadium, we recently announced that we will be celebrating Club legend Billy Bonds by renaming the East Stand in his honour and will soon be introducing a new pitch surround in our famous Claret and Blue colours. Also in line with our commitment to you, we are now looking at a concept which we believe will improve the overall feel at the Stadium and bring supporters closer to the action.

Concept plans

Following overwhelmingly positive feedback from the Official Supporters Board we have been working with our Stadium landlords on a plan to move the lower tiers in the Bobby Moore and Sir Trevor Brooking stands closer to the pitch.

The concept proposes that the lower tier stands behind the goals are effectively squared off in line with a more traditional football stadium configuration, enhancing the matchday experience.

This change would bring the supporters in the lower tiers of these stands closer to the playing area, many by more than four metres.

This proposal is early in the planning stage and we are not yet able to provide a firm date as to when these changes might happen, if the proposals are taken forward. This is due to the necessary steps that must be followed around licencing, planning and the government procurement process.

How we will consult with you

Whilst it is in the preliminary stages, in line with our commitment to you, as a Season Ticket Holder in one of these stands, we will seek to consult you throughout the process as the plans develop.

The proposals will change the shape of the stand, so not every seating position will remain entirely like-for-like, even though the vast majority of seats will move closer to the action.

We will of course continue to keep you fully informed about the consultation process on the changes, and what this will mean for your Season Ticket seat, before we agree to any alterations to the current format of the stands. The Stadium landlord cannot amend or change any area in the stadium without the Club’s approval.

As part of the process it is important, first and foremost, that we consult with a small section of supporters who require more detailed information due to some additional considerations around their seats . These supporters will be proactively contacted by the Club with further details once they are known and we will ensure that they have priority on both the new and existing seats.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Supporter Services by emailing supporterservices@westhamunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards,

Karren Brady
Vice-Chairman
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It is also quicker and more straight-forward to install and remove, increasing the availability of the Stadium for events throughout the summer as well as reducing the annual costs of operating the multi-use Stadium.
Why wouldn't they have done this in the first place? :arry:
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

Lyn Garner, Chief Executive of London Stadium owners London Legacy Development Corporation, said: “We are pleased to have a proposal which brings fans closer to the pitch which we know is something the supporters and Club want. The atmosphere at the Stadium has been fantastic this season and this layout will help build on that momentum.

“It will also be another important step in getting the most efficient seat moves. This is a multi-use Stadium bringing major global events to London such as Major League Baseball, athletics and international music stars which, along with Premier League football, benefits the local and city-wide economy. This is a further example of the efficiencies and improvements we are driving to create a sustainable business for the long-term.”

“We continue to work closely with West Ham United, our main partners, so we have a Stadium that meets everyone’s needs.”
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... OxlSVKnggi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

It is also quicker and more straight-forward to install and remove, increasing the availability of the Stadium for events throughout the summer as well as reducing the annual costs of operating the multi-use Stadium.
HammerMan2004 wrote:
Why wouldn't they have done this in the first place? :arry:
Moore Stephens report into the stadium found that the time table put on the stadium by the mayor at the time (Boris Johnson) to be ready to host Rugby World Cup matches in 2013 saw those responsible for the stadium build and fit out go for the seating arrangement we have now.

(If I have this wrong, happy to be corrected)
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

For the people in those areas, great news :thup:

However....if that image is any indication of the plan, the only way to do this is to simply pus the whole thing further forwards and make the gap behind even bigger.

We're going to end up with a 25,000 seater "lower stadium" inside a 35,000 seater "upper stadium" at this rate.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

The info says.

The intention is to explore the opportunity further......
and If the proposals are taken forward.

Dont get your hopes up because theyve got form on building up peoples hopes with pie in the sky ideas....

One question from me...... How the hell are they going to keep people dry if they do this?

The roof will not cover these new seats......
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

AlfieG wrote: The roof will not cover these new seats......
We get wet now as it is. I'd rather be closer.