Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by pbenjy »

If the football season were to start earlier and end later to accommodate a proposed winter break, then the clash with athletics meetings could be even more significant.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42954835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Liam »

So what is the minimum turnaround time for change between Athletics and Football modes?

2018/19 PL season starts 11/12 August, giving Vinci/LLDC/E20 (or whoever's responsibility under 3 weeks to convert it).

It must be possible, Ms Brady wouldn't lie to us would she?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Liam wrote:So what is the minimum turnaround time for change between Athletics and Football modes?

2018/19 PL season starts 11/12 August, giving Vinci/LLDC/E20 (or whoever's responsibility under 3 weeks to convert it).

It must be possible, Ms Brady wouldn't lie to us would she?
PHD Modular Access Services Ltd have the contract and it can be found here:

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... nex-a.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam

Post by Liam »

sanchoz wrote: PHD Modular Access Services Ltd have the contract and it can be found here:

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... nex-a.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfortunately I don't think that has actual timelines, although does give rights to E20 to intervene should they have reason to believe the contractor won't complete the "transition"

I can't help but think this will be another massive cock up,
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

But I thought that the lower tier seating was state of the art.....

Are you telling me that the board have lied to us?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

bracknellhammer wrote:But I thought that the lower tier seating was state of the art.....

Are you telling me that the board have lied to us?
I remember the first time I walked in to a football match at our new home - it's an impressive stadium so I was genuinely expecting some sort of hydraulic powered method of neatly retracting the lower seating areas, a process would perhaps take 6 hours.

I didn't realise scaffolding constituted state of the art. It's also incredibly labour intensive,
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

A few statements from Brady on Twitter on the OS in the last few minutes:

@guywestern
@karren_brady Hello. Can you please update us on the free WiFi at the London Stadium that was promised for last season? Thank you.

@karren_brady
16m16 minutes ago
i am sorry this was promised and not delivered. we were promised it by E20 but they have not ensured their operator delivers it. we are constantly onto them to sort it out.Lady Karren Brady added,
⚒ Guy Western ⚒

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@WestHamRambles
Replying to @karren_brady
More spin and deflection. Let me make it easy for you: Will we be playing at home on Boxing Day in the future - yes or no?

@karren_brady
14m14 minutes ago
More Lady Karren Brady Retweeted West Ham Rambles
It depends if we get selected! Here is a direct extract from PL letter to Met Police "Whilst I appreciate the local issues that Boxing Day brings, unfortunately given the sheer complexity of fixture compilation we cannot guarantee that West Ham will not be at home on Boxing Day".Lady Karren Brady added,
West Ham Rambles
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Whilst I appreciate the local issues that Boxing Day brings, unfortunately given the sheer complexity of fixture compilation we cannot guarantee that West Ham will not be at home on Boxing Day

who asked the question before this response then ?
Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:Whilst I appreciate the local issues that Boxing Day brings, unfortunately given the sheer complexity of fixture compilation we cannot guarantee that West Ham will not be at home on Boxing Day

who asked the question before this response then ?
It would appear the Premier League from Brady's tweet. I gather from this, the Met have asked for us to not play at home on Boxing Day (due to Westfield sales) due to additonal police pressures and crowd troubles. The Premier League have turned that down.
Barking Boy
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Barking Boy »

[quote="psychoscoredthelot"]Whilst I appreciate the local issues that Boxing Day brings, unfortunately given the sheer complexity of fixture compilation we cannot guarantee that West Ham will not be at home on Boxing Day

Isn't that a double negative that reads; we CAN guarantee that West Ham WILL be at home on Boxing Day

or have i had to many beers?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I read it that the PL fixture abacus will not be programmed to ensure West Ham are away on Boxing Day, it'll be the luck of the draw.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Didn't know there was a tiny track field next to the stadium. Any chance the reserve squad can play there?
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Thekorean wrote:Didn't know there was a tiny track field next to the stadium. Any chance the reserve squad can play there?

Carry on as we are and the first team will be playing there
Wembley1966
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Liam wrote:unfortunately I don't think that has actual timelines, although does give rights to E20 to intervene should they have reason to believe the contractor won't complete the "transition"

I can't help but think this will be another massive cock up,
The timelines have been redacted from the agreement. However, there are clauses requiring PHD to come up with costings to get the transition completed in 7 days.
Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

woodford wrote:
Carry on as we are and the first team will be playing there
Can we knock it down and build a proper football stadium there and give British Athletics the OS back?
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Thekorean wrote:Didn't know there was a tiny track field next to the stadium. Any chance the reserve squad can play there?
In that sully jnr interview that was posted. He claims the woman will play there on matchdays 3 hours before men’s game. And they will try to get people to go from one game to the other. Do they even think about these ideas. What if 5k actually turned up there’s literally no facilities there. Whole family are fantasists leaving in some never never land.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

They'll have to pay to use that pitch etc and that means they won't use it.

More deluded b*llocks talk and BFS thought it was us fans that talked deluded b*llocks !!

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I read it that the PL fixture abacus will not be programmed to ensure West Ham are away on Boxing Day, it'll be the luck of the draw.
Dec 2013 last Boxing Day Home game, so must be due one next season
Liam

Post by Liam »

Wembley1966 wrote: The timelines have been redacted from the agreement. However, there are clauses requiring PHD to come up with costings to get the transition completed in 7 days.
Thanks Wembley.

Does anyone know how long it actually takes though? I'm pretty sure it was longer than that last year.
Wembley1966
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ I think that last year was 2 - 3 weeks - but that was because the whole of the stadium had to be made 'clean' for the World Championships. The biggest part of the seat conversion in time and cost, is the East Stand - especially the middle in-fill seats. From now on, they will be left in place for the athletics with the lower tier moved forward with just some rows at the front at the ends removed to accommodate the track. How it was for the athletics before we moved in.

I think they estimate that it's about 10 days to do the conversion now - but that depends upon how much resource you throw at it - doing all the stands at the same time will take much less time but cost far more than doing them one stand at a time. As mentioned in the PHD agreement, E20 want to know if it can be reduced to 7 days and how much it would cost to achieve - presumably capital expenditure on some 'retractable' seats!
burnsyboy

Post by burnsyboy »

What are the queues like getting to stadium on home match days recently?