Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Wembley1966 »

There are some shelves - they are hidden underneath some of the the stairs to the upper tier. Doesn't help that they have the pop-up bars in front of some of them so you can only use the ends of them, or St John's Ambulance parking their stretcher by one.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

A couple of thoughts last night:-

I thought the queuing system on the bridges was a good idea & was quick and effective, although the search itself was a bit crap as per last year, could have had anything on me! Not even if it was busy as i was there quite early with my mate.

Why were none of the gates open til about half 6?
I was at the ground at 6 and planned to go in and take advantage of the advertised (email from west ham) knock down prices £3.50 a pint but the gates were all shut, there were loads of people obviously planning on doing the same thing as they were all milling around by the bars/pop up eating places outside the stadium....surely it makes financial sense for them to open as early as possible as they are likely to make more money?

While standing at the gates waiting for them to open, the 'supervisor' of the game was saying to us it will be open shortly, but then it was me who had to tell her the gates should already be open as i saw one of my other mates (who had to go in at gate E) in the concourse of the stadium...it was only at that point, she 'officially' opened gate F that i was stood at, comical....do they not have mic's/radios' to open the gates at the same time?

People serving beer still not that great, they arent the quickest bunch of people or brightest....they even offered me a tray even though i had only ordered 2 beers...er....i'l just use 2 hands i think thanks! lol

Checked out my new seat in Block 130 (moved from row 1000(!?!) in block 230 last year), row 8, very happy, the seat was more like my seat i had in the old chav corner in the BG, looking forward to the game & the rest of the season in my new seat!
All good, everyone standing (yay!) & singing, and then the heavens opened!! Soaked! haha
To be fair me and my mate did laugh about it as it wasnt for long and its only a bit of rain, but still amazing, how much money did they pay for that roof?!

Anyway overall still a better experience than last season at the new stadium!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

On the subject of moving seats. The wife and I have also moved down into BML Block 146 from 243 Row 51, and my God is it more enjoyable. So happy to stand up. Nice bit of banter down there too.

:scarfer:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

HammerMan2004 wrote:On the subject of moving seats. The wife and I have also moved down into BML Block 146 from 243 Row 51, and my God is it more enjoyable. So happy to stand up. Nice bit of banter down there too.

:scarfer:
Glad it's what you want. Remember some of your posts earlier in this thread where you were asking for advice on areas in the ground so hope it's all good for the rest of the season.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

An illustration of the inferior atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium.

Sir Trevor was interviewed before the game (OK the sound system was so poor we couldn’t understand a word) and he got polite applause from the crowd. At the Boleyn he’d have been cheered and we’d have been singing ‘One Trevor Brooking’ but here the crowd and action are too detached.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Still no draught beer at Club London, no wifi and i had empty seats all around me. Where was everyone?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 765 likes
Total likes: 3503 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I was surprised to see so many empty seats on TV.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Up the Junction wrote:I was surprised to see so many empty seats on TV.
The only section that was full was the away fans. Not bad from them for a Monday night.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I think night games against lesser teams might often be like this because of the journey home. I still hate that trudge to Pudding Mill Lane after night matches in particular whereas at the BG I was back in the comfort of my car and away in ten minutes of leaving. The trains last night were noticeably less crowded.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Nothing to do with the opposition, or kick off time.

There's noticeable empty seats & a mass of early leavers no matter what...
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

There's an irony in that statement that I just can't quite put my finger on... 8-)
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Alfiehammer wrote:There's an irony in that statement that I just can't quite put my finger on... 8-)
Not really.

Sold out 52,000 Season Tickets, with however many more apparently on the waiting list.

Shouldn't be an empty seat in the house...
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

NorthBankAlliance wrote: Not really.

Sold out 52,000 Season Tickets, with however many more apparently on the waiting list.

Shouldn't be an empty seat in the house...
Exactly

Although last night i'm assuming the front few rows couldn't be arsed with a leaking roof that doesn't offer much protection from the rain
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Sold my ticket in Ticket Trader with 48 hours. There definitely people out there buying them.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Marky wrote:Still no draught beer at Club London, no wifi and i had empty seats all around me. Where was everyone?
There was plenty of draft beer in The Boleyn bar
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

noblecause wrote:North bank, do you still watch Betamax recordings of crossroads whilst supping Double Diamond??
You think its acceptable havin kids (adults probably to) just buying tickets to see the Big 5? I make NBA spot on but if you want us to become like Fulham then we well on the way with them types taking up STs.

I wasnt even around for betamax and DD but I bet watching WHUFC was far more fun and Id rather it more like that now, not hust some daytripper and tourist popcorn munching day out.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

hadleighhammer wrote:I wasnt even around for betamax and DD but I bet watching WHUFC was far more fun and Id rather it more like that now, not hust some daytripper and tourist popcorn munching day out.
Yes, we were winning the league and dominating Europe back then, it was a barrel of laughs every game
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

hammerdivone wrote:
Yes, we were winning the league and dominating Europe back then, it was a barrel of laughs every game
Good old days we played in a proper football stadium then,

Alas football isn't football as it was and West Ham London ain't West Ham United
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Pop Robson wrote:Alas football isn't football as it was
It's about time some people realised this.

I loved Brian Moore commentating but I don't **** off the blokes today doing it because they're not like him
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

hammerdivone wrote:
Yeah cos thats what matters when watching WHUFC.

And that sure as **** isnt happening anytime soon in our next level Athletics Track shitheap.