Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 1198 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Diogenes »

mushy wrote:What are these priority items you speak of then?
As for supporters groups being heard by the board, clearly you are having a tin bath.
That is extremely disingenuous and insulting to the many who are working on your behalf to change the very things you complain about. I really don't understand some of you.
Diogenes
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 1198 likes

Post by Diogenes »

the pink palermo wrote:Diogenes, I can assure you I'm not trying to convince posters on here , I am however reminding the club - and the people they pay to read this and other social media outlets , that they need to up their game .

As for joining "various supporters groups" with "direct access to the Board", I'm a paid up member of one such group but I won't take part in their activities so as not to detract from their efforts . I wish the people leading those groups luck and good will .
OK, good points TPP and I am sure you are 'supportive' of the efforts of others who are trying to influence the board directly. But not all, it appears, share your goodwill.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

the pink palermo wrote: Dare I suggest you turn your ire on the three people responsible for moving us there ?

The supporters who are continuing to complain about the move are not the perpertrators of the problem they are the victims of it .
Two different things really. Just because I get slightly irked by the continuous use of the word "bowl" (etc) on here doesn't mean I haven't provided some feedback to our esteemed board. I have recently sent real actual letters, by post, to all three of them (plus a couple of others). As has my father. Trust me, the contents were not exactly complimentary.

My dad (along with other disabled supporters) has been treated absolutely appalling by the club, but that doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes every time the word "bowl" pops up here. I have made phone calls to the club,sent emails and letters, and even had a go at complaining to Gold and Brady on Twitter. Which, in my view, is a bit more constructive.

I don't know. Just one of those things, I suppose. Probably me that has a problem rather than those who type the B word on a daily basis.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

The Boleyn Hound wrote: This constant moaning and determination to hate everything about the matchday experience really detracts from the legitimate and important problems some others have listed.

Let's stop whinging and continue constructive criticism.
Totally agree with everything you've posted, especially that bit.

That also ties in with people who, at best, stretch the facts somewhat when attacking the board. I've said this before: there's really no need to make stuff up about them as there is so much real, proper fact, rather than opinion, that people can draw on.
leveller

Post by leveller »

mushy wrote:What are these priority items you speak of then?
As for supporters groups being heard by the board, clearly you are having a tin bath.
Diogenes wrote: That is extremely disingenuous and insulting to the many who are working on your behalf to change the very things you complain about. I really don't understand some of you.
How is that disingenuous or insulting to supporters groups in any way whatsoever? I interpreted it as a remark on the board's willingness to listen and accommodate their wishes. We shall see about that but it was a fair comment based on past experience.

By the way I'm not sure how one can get irked by the use of the term "bowl" to describe the stadium when it is 100% technically accurate, I've seen the word used in minutes of London Stadium SAG meetings, in fact I have a feeling it might also be used in the contracts for the club and LS185.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

Irk's me in the SAG minutes as well. Already said that it's not technically incorrect.

I guess it's just the context.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

the pink palermo wrote:We have supporters missing kick off due to a largely unnecessary security operation when entering the stadium
Most of your points are centred around the operations of the stadium and not actually the building itself.

This point I had to pick you out on however.

You can surely see why these security checks have to be made? Whole different ballgame to playing football at Upton Park. We're at the stadium that hosted the Olympic Games, the stadium will be one of the largest potential terrorist spots, a lot further up the list than Upton Park for example.

In this day and age, I can understand why they do it, and whilst it does irritate me a little, I just get on with it and arrive a few minutes earlier than I usually do. It's a small price to pay for safety.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

I'd suggest those who miss kick off due to searches/queues just get there a bit earlier if possible. I've never had this problem myself.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

The searches aren't carried out properly they are just to be seen to be doing the right thing. All they do is create a massive throng of 100s of people trying to squeeze in for the kick off. Which if I was carrying a bomb would be the ideal place to set it off!.

Are there searches before poeple enter the rammed station?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

In terms of the searches at the Olympic Stadium, they could take a leaf out of what they do elsewhere and what I saw Wednesday last week. There were designated bag search and female search turnstiles for getting into Ashburton Grove. Clearly identifiable by signs above the turnstiles. Replicating this at the Olympic Stadium would be a good start and its something that has been raised with the club.

Something else that has helped congestion moving around the stadium from the south is the moving of some of the food/drink stands away from where the back of the queue forms for trying to enter the stadium so that's a positive.
light n bitter
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by light n bitter »

[quote="Porkeyes"]The searches aren't carried out properly they are just to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Indeed on Saturday the search I received ignored the coat I was carrying, included a rub down of my bare arms (not even sure that is allowed) and being satisfied with seeing the contents of one trouser pocket when I was asked to empty all of them. I was going to empty the others but was told to go on in.
Oh and the happy hour is only 30 minutes. Am I wrong in believing we were originally told it was an hour of cheaper beer?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

here's a thought, it's mentioned by many on lots of threads because the whole thing really is that bad
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I haven't had any problems getting into the ground so I can only speak from experience. We were later than usual on Saturday and there was a big queue at the turnstiles. the stewards were quick and thorough patting down or magic wandering everybody. We climbed the steps just as bubbles was being sung.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I think when you actively coerce customers into spending their money, those customers are entitled to expect value for it.

Why football should be exempt from a demand for value and quality equal to spend alludes me.

Customers (the title Brady and Co give the used to be supporters), have paid a lot of money in comparison to other clubs and should be entitled to an experience relative to that cost.

It is for the club to get that right, not for supporters to bemoan the fact that the club gets a bad review.

Its an easy equation. Customers tell you what's wrong. You address those issues and the customers come back.

What many are missing is that they have had your money and aren't providing value for it.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think when you actively coerce customers into spending their money, those customers are entitled to expect value for it.

Why football should be exempt from a demand for value and quality equal to spend alludes me.

What many are missing is that they have had your money and aren't providing value for it.
I pay money to watch the game (and nobody coerced me into it). I pay over 50% less than what my goon supporting mate pays for his ST, for an almost identical view.

Included in the purchase:
- Ability to watch every West Ham home league game from a reserved seat

Not included in the purchase:
- atmosphere
- entertaining football
- 3 points
- enjoyment

I'm all for people making suggestions for improvement, alerting the board to problems etc. But demanding "value for money" at football is a ludicrous notion.

I can see it now, people complaining to the consumer watchdog because they bought a ticket for 50 quid yet didn't get to see 3 goals, a thrilling finale, and Bilic Kung-Fu kicking an away fan.
bristolhammerfc

Why wouldn't you pay less than your mate?

He is paying to watch a side that has been consistently top four and is full of world class players. Are you?

Are we a comparable side in terms of product to Arsenal? We are not. That requires investment relevant to the cost of the match day experience.

The coercion comes from the pre-sale promises about investment. The board promised we would 'move to the net level'.

You had a match day reserved seat at the Boleyn as did every other season ticket holder.

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think when you actively coerce customers into spending their money, those customers are entitled to expect value for it.
This lot have got away with mugging the fans off for too long, imo

People paid it, but at Upton Park our first few seasons back in the Prem with Allardyce I recall us being the 4th most expensive team to watch at Home. A first 11 that at times largely consisted of freebies and loans.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Why wouldn't you pay less than your mate?

He is paying to watch a side that has been consistently top four and is full of world class players. Are you?

Are we a comparable side in terms of product to Arsenal? We are not. That requires investment relevant to the cost of the match day experience.

So we do get value for money then?? As we pay a lower price for an inferior "product".
Anyway, the price set is much more about demographics and what the owners think they can get away with than it is league position. Nothing is guaranteed in football - or are Arsenal fans therefore owed a refund this season?

The coercion comes from the pre-sale promises about investment. The board promised we would 'move to the net level'.
Look up coercion in the dictionary. If that happened to you in the reservations centre, I'd recommend trying to get hold of the CCTV, and definitely reporting it to the police.

bristolhammerfc

50,000 people waiting if you don't buy it.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Before the move, when anyone raised any objections people were told to STFU as it will be great, next level, Arsenal looking over their shoulder, trust the owners they're supporters, etc.

Now it's STFU as although it's **** we're lumbered with it and nothing will change anyway.

Both times playing into the board's hands whether meaning to or not.