Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby IronworksDave on Thu May 09, 2019 7:59 am

hammerman11 wrote:nothing major will happen at the bowl until we own it, a few years off and hopefully operating stadium costs soar and losses increase so west ham get offered the bowl. Then GSB will have the opportunity to flog the club with a ground and make one last big profit from the club they are custodians for !

Then with new owners comes the challenge. it will need rebuilding as the place wont last another 20 years.
majot investment needed to reconfigure stands and put in a proper concourse. A west ham hotel with matchday experience are all possibilities for owners who want to invest in the clubs future the current leeches don't.

so until that day has dawn we have the soul draining walk through the wastelands to the bowl for a few more years yet. I will stop going in a season or two and doubt I will see the rebirth of the renamed bowl.
The Bobby Moore stadium will be a great place to watch west ham one day , just not now !


You're just dreaming, if you go read the Spurs withdrawn proposal it very clearly details exactly why the OS, now the LS, can never be converted to a football stadium. The best, cheapest, and only realistic option was to knock down the OC and build a proper football stadium. That proposal was rejected because it had no legacy content (and it showed just what a waste of money the OS was)

Since then nothing has changed ... we will never convert the OS / LS into a fit for purpose football stadium, to believe otherwise means you are just doomed to disappointment.
User avatar
IronworksDave
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:25 am

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Dwight1970 on Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am

Ironworks Dave is bang on that because of it is design the Olympic Stadium other than being totally rebuilt will never be a proper football stadium, with other than cosmetic changes inside and maybe bigger works on the external areas and concourses I doubt we will see much different as to what we see now in most of our lifetimes.

In fact I honestly believe if we ever play our home games in proper football ground again it will be somewhere other than the London Stadium.
User avatar
Dwight1970
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:25 am
Location: Sidcup, Kent

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Coops on Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 am

The only way the spivs would fund a new stadium is if they bought the OS, got planning permission to turn it into flats and then used some of the profit to build us a stadium on the industrial land next to the A13 in Dagenham.
User avatar
Coops
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Rayleigh, Essex

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 am

User avatar
Danny's Dyer Acting
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby hammerman11 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

looks good and I love the colour of it. no mistaking it is their home. whereas we have a mostly white mechano set with a few stretched canvasses across.

such a shame for our great supporters !
hammerman11
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Pop Robson on Wed May 15, 2019 11:07 am

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:https://twitter.com/tim_spiers_Star/status/1128374995070140416?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another one.


Rail Seating too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48273750
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 16197
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Pop Robson on Wed May 15, 2019 11:08 am

hammerman11 wrote:looks good and I love the colour of it. no mistaking it is their home. whereas we have a mostly white mechano set with a few stretched canvasses across.

such a shame for our great supporters !



Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Good night!
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 16197
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am

Pop Robson wrote:Rail Seating too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48273750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


We need to get involved in this with any attempt to "straighten" the lower tiers behind the goals. Just rail seat the whole lower tier.
User avatar
HammerMan2004
 
Posts: 21301
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: I have no idea.

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby CapBuckyOHare on Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 am

Would you take having GSB forever if it meant we moved back to Upton Park (say it was rebuilt brick by brick exactly the same)
User avatar
CapBuckyOHare
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby The Sherriff on Wed May 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Up the Junction wrote:The stadium isn't the problem, per se. That can be fixed, if there is motivation to do so.


Beg to differ I’m afraid.

The stadium will never be suitable for football, it’s terrible in its current configuration ….. and will always remain that way.

The lies hurt and should never be forgotten however you cant ignore, gloss over or forgive the massive shortcomings of the ground.

Its FUBAR.
User avatar
The Sherriff
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:31 pm
Location: South Twyford

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Wed May 15, 2019 7:03 pm

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
 
Posts: 19510
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Ah move over Rover, let Jimi take over

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby e-20 on Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 pm

For what it's worth what Spurs said about the OS is not relevent as those claims were tinted by th fact that they always wanted to build the stadium they have for reasons of their own short and long term economic plan. What they needed can never be created in the OS without knocking it down.

However to say that proves it cannot be improved to make it a decent football stadium (the operative word being decent) is a totally different question. I think there are potential options to radically improve it if it becomes field sport only and owned by those willing to fund the design and works. However none of us know just how practical or expensive this would be and thus whether the balance between improvement and total rebuild tends towards the latter. Only architects and engineers can truly give the answer to this. The rebuild was said by the architects to be the best possible solution without costs favouring demolition but that was based on the multi purpose stadium suitable for athletics. A new one would be needed to assess the possibilities based on it being a football stadium, it certainly would not be the first bowl to be transformed.

If it is feasible and I think it might be, then no, it won't be a classic football stadium as we envisage one in an ideal world true and no Spurs clone but it could be massively improved and a decided improvement on what could have been achieved at the Boieyn overall.
User avatar
e-20
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm
Location: London ish

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

in the inimitable words of whomever:

if Mohammed can't go to the mountain, then the mountain must go to Mohammed....

in other words, if the stadium seats and roof cannot be moved to the pitch....widen and lengthen the pitch to go to the stands !!!!!!!!


Simples !!!!

:D
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 30198
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby sanchoz on Thu May 16, 2019 1:08 pm

April 2nd London Stadium Safety Advisory Group minutes online now. Some of the things to take away:

Toilets between the turnstile and Island
Issues were mainly around toilet provision between ticket turnstiles and island with only disabled toilets being available for use. E20 and LS185 will continue discussions and it was suggested that they could be let
through the turnstiles to use the facilities.

Tuesday 2 April 19 - update
West Ham United confirmed that lack of sanitary facilities will become more of an issue as more
entertainment is added outside the venue. Peter Swordy to review and present a viable solution at the next
SAG meeting.


West Ham V Fulham
Smoking is still an issue in the toilets and is currently under review. 7 nuisance issues recorded which were
dealt with successfully by the police and the stadium.

A complaint was made to the police by Fulham Supporters Trust about possible excessive force used by
Stewards. Following a review of the CCTV by the MPS and LS185 there was no evidence of excessive
force being used and the Fulham Supporter Trust were offered to watch the CCTV footage. LS185 added
that they will be re-briefing stewards on handling of fans.

The police added that the Fulham supporters behaviour on the concourse during the half time was
particularly poor


West Ham v Newcastle

Smoking at this game was also an issue. 22 ejections were noted of which one fan had 3 young children.
The MPS added that they need to be informed in the future of such instances. LBN advised LS185 that
they need to review their training and safeguarding policy. West Ham United and LS185 to submit copies of the policies in place for review.

Some damage to the stadium infrastructure was noted, the panel has been replaced with responsible
person being warned and consequences discussed.


West Ham v Huddersfield

Cat A game with some ticketing issues with tourists from abroad. There was a pitch incursion at the 91st
minute. LS185 reviewed their pitch incursion plan and were confident that they had the correct resources in place for that match. LS185 wrote a comprehensive report and WHU are checking CCTV. Responsible
person has been identified and interviewed by the MPS.

Members discussed in more detail different options and ideas to prevent pitch incursions. English Football
League and the Premier League like the plan that LS185 currently have in place.


West Ham v Everton
Arches were tested and now waiting for data to be supplied. No ticketing issues of note. Occasional
smoking recorded. Main issues were around public transportation.

SRO (Shelia Roberts - Newham Council & Chair of Meeting) acknowledged that the number of ejections has been decreasing


West Ham v Leicester City – Sat 20 April
Categorised as a B based on confrontations at previous matches. The police mentioned that there is a new
supporters group called Hammers United who are looking to engage with the Board. MPS may attend their
first meeting.


9. Update on conditions relating to capacity uplift to 60k

SRO talked about concerns expressed by SSAG which had an impact on safety management and the
assurances given to address the ongoing issues that were raised. There has been a change of an
amendment of what was suggested at that time. Alan Skewis (E20) shared an update covering concerns and mitigations to these concerns.

WHU shared their ticketing colour coding plan taking on board the comments from the previous meetings.
Partners discussed potential challenges faced with the colour coding and ensuring stewards will be clearly
briefed.

WHU mentioned that if the colour in the stadium could match the tickets for that quadrant, it would be
extremely useful. Order of new cards will be placed end of April and issued by end of season.


CCTV
AS (E20) announced that they are going through an upgrade on the network through the summer which will address the blind spots as well as a general upgrade to CCTV. Panameras on the home and away seg line have full coverage with funding approval to buy more cameras to cover all or most of the lower bowl, plan is to get 100% coverage of lower bowl if WHU provide match funding.


Body cams
44 currently in use – to be increased close to 100 units and will be in for next season and potentially more if WHU match fund. This is based on the 60k licence application.

SRO (LBN) added that with all the issues collectively prior to 60k if those concerns were not mitigated it
would have impacted the S factor. All issues collectively are absolutely related to safety management. If
some of the mitigations that were suggested are not implemented then LBN would closely review the S
factor.


North East blow out space

This has been on trial since the 2nd Jan and continuing till the end of the season and will be reviewed in the summer to discuss if it needs to be retained. If it’s successful it may be replicated in the east side and will be reviewing to meet the 60K requirement. At 57k it didn’t need the blow out space.

SRO reminded partners that LBN mentioned that the overcrowding on the concourse was an issue and
asked what mitigation would be offered if the capacity was at 60k. LBN’s view the biggest risk at the
stadium is fan behaviour. Club and LS185 have worked closely to improve the behaviour. LBN have
further concerns in relation to fan dissatisfaction and backlash should this space be removed and this would have an impact on the S Factor. It is LBN’s strong recommendation for this space to remain.

Lou Elliston (SGSA) agreed with LBN recommendations. Philippa Cartwright (WHU) concurred with SGSA and LBN as they are receiving positive feedback from fans.

AS (E20) confirmed that they will take it under review.

LBN announced that as a licensing authority they would prefer a permanent solution. Both fan experience
and capacity are linked and not separate issues.


SRO advised LS185 that when reviewing their egress plan they need to take Stratford International’s capacity concerns into consideration.


Boxing Day Fixture

Stuart Phillips (South Eastern) informed partners that due to major engineering works around the Christmas period there will not be any high speed services on Boxing Day and this will have a huge effect on trains to London should there be a Boxing Day fixture.

MPS added that there have been discussions about Boxing Day games and the police will not be putting in
any objections this year.

WHU do not have a view on Boxing Day games, however, it was noted that from a fans point of view there
is a feeling that games will never be played at the London Stadium on Boxing Day. This was categorically
confirmed by Karen Brady that West Ham United would not want to be out of the draw for Boxing Day.

Andy Sheldon (MPS) informed partners of the process for Boxing Day allocation which involves the WHUFC putting in a pre season fixture questionnaire and representations from the police based on intelligence are submitted to the Premier League, then in June there is a fixtures meeting when fixtures are allocated by computer with further discussions had based on these allocations.

WSC (Westfield) will duly consider any proposals going forward in terms of Boxing Day fixtures. CG (WSC) to put together their concerns in writing to SR (LBN).

SRO (LBN) requested both WSC and WHUFC put their concerns in writing to LBN as the new Green Guide Zone X could affect capacity on any Boxing Day fixture. If there were to be a game it would have a huge impact on capacity and it would also mean a new egress plan would need to be in place due to transport links.

SR (LBN) advised WSC to put together a plan addressing the NTH (North Ticket Hall. Underground exit on ground level by Marks & Spencer's) as well as the use of the bridge on Boxing Day.


Rest of minutes can be found at the link below:

https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Bus ... pril19.pdf
User avatar
sanchoz
 
Posts: 11080
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 3:41 am
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby HammerMan2004 on Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 pm

sanchoz wrote:WHU mentioned that if the colour in the stadium could match the tickets for that quadrant, it would be
extremely useful. Order of new cards will be placed end of April and issued by end of season.


:eh:

What we going to do? Paint a section claret?
User avatar
HammerMan2004
 
Posts: 21301
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: I have no idea.

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Albie Beck on Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks sanchoz
Albie Beck
 
Posts: 5282
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:42 am

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby the pink palermo on Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Good work Sanchoz.

The comments regarding the concourses are very interesting as is the continuing objection by Westfield to a St Stephens day fixture .


Do Westfield really want a don't quite occupy Westfield protest ?

Perhaps they should just shut their gobs and allow us the chance of a game at "home".
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 39557
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Sexy football not sexist football

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Pop Robson on Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Sounds like a great place !!

Shame there wasn't any actual attendances figures
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 16197
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby sanchoz on Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Pop Robson wrote:Sounds like a great place !!

Shame there wasn't any actual attendances figures


They previously reported attendance numbers until Newham Council were ordered by the Information Commissioners Office to provide fully un-redacted versions of the SAG meeting minutes. Now they do not bother.

Met Police do not record attendance figures so if someone really wanted to know, a freedom of information request would need to be raised with LLDC/E20 as they would hold the information.
User avatar
sanchoz
 
Posts: 11080
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 3:41 am
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby Big George on Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm

I assume the individual wh damaged a panel is he ribman? "Careful there you might start an atmosphere"

I cannot blame how much fan blaming there is n this, if the stadium was fit for football hardly any of these issues would be a problem.
User avatar
Big George
 
Posts: 10534
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:59 pm
Location: Www.Twitter.com/sgfmann

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abominable Snowflake, Ali888, bigcarpchaser, cthammer, Emerson Hammer, Google [Bot], Hainault Hammer, HammerMan2004, Hammers_Time, Made In Leyton 1974, munichhammer, sevenoakshammer, TommyHammer, upton o'good, westlondonhammer and 73 guests