Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Prob »

The word going around is tha Mayor has Newham bent over a barrel now over the Stadium. The Mayor will take back control and running off the stadium from Newham. Newham can't disagree with this otherwise the Mayor will order a winding up order and Newham will lose its £40million loan which they can not afford. As Newham have already spent £300million on the roof.

Once the Mayor has taken control they want to sit back down with West Ham to renegotiate the terms of our deal.

I know some of the people that work in the Mayor office who are doing this. They would have no hope facing off against Brady, Gold or Sullivan. Brady will walk all over them.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

the pink palermo wrote:Sat in row 37 , repeat row 37 of the 1966 club and enjoyed the soft falling rain drifting on to me - say what you like but you didn't get that at the Boleyn , so that's a real plus .
I noticed a mass exodus of the front of the East stand when it started to hammer it down, hope for them we don't have a wet winter.

Didn't realise you still got wet in the posh seats though.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Prob wrote:The word going around is tha Mayor has Newham bent over a barrel now over the Stadium. The Mayor will take back control and running off the stadium from Newham. Newham can't disagree with this otherwise the Mayor will order a winding up order and Newham will lose its £40million loan which they can not afford. As Newham have already spent £300million on the roof.

Once the Mayor has taken control they want to sit back down with West Ham to renegotiate the terms of our deal.

I know some of the people that work in the Mayor office who are doing this. They would have no hope facing off against Brady, Gold or Sullivan. Brady will walk all over them.
Do you think that they will want us to buy it?
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

IF the option to buy becomes real (which I think it will)... I imagine Sullivan thinks he has more chance of selling for more profit as it becomes a more attractive investment long term.

It was his plan from day one and nothing I see changes my mind

They brought the club for f*** all, have invested next to nothing and are charging us interest on loans

It's always been a property and asset deal for them.

They won't even pay for claret covering, they ain't interested in the club
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

MD_HM wrote:Even the other improvements of covering the concrete is "London Stadium" and not West Ham
LincolnshireHammer wrote:This bugged me I must say. The banner near the big screen which reads something like this:

"London Stadium - a great venue for music and sport."

Music before sport!!!
I take exception to this, seeing as it is my ugly mug singing bubbles on the graphic :oops:
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

HighWycombeHammer wrote: Do you think that they will want us to buy it?
Not unless we offer silly money for it close to £700+million cost. This is a Tory who sells cheap to his mates. They have no need to rush a sale and any sale will look political bad unless they make a profit from it.

They want us to pay more rent the stadium is a massive money loser not our fault nor is it the current Mayor fault.
Last edited by Prob on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The sooner we own it the better. Then some rich guy from Qatar can help us rebuild most of it.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

the pink palermo wrote:Sat in row 37 , repeat row 37 of the 1966 club and enjoyed the soft falling rain drifting on to me - say what you like but you didn't get that at the Boleyn , so that's a real plus .
rottiel wrote:I noticed a mass exodus of the front of the East stand when it started to hammer it down, hope for them we don't have a wet winter.

Didn't realise you still got wet in the posh seats though.
Our seats are row 20 and we stayed nice and dry so no idea how you got wet 17 rows further back Pinky?

Although a couple in front of us did bear the brunt of a roof leak
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

You actually expect this lot to buy the stadium :lol:

They wouldn't even cough up for new carpet .
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

the pink palermo wrote: I'm afraid it isn't , and that's the whole point .
You're missing the point. I voted against the move and a major reason was we were selling an asset and becoming tenants, but now we're here we have to make the best of it. There have only been a few games where it has felt OK (Chelsea in the League Cup, Spurs, Huddersfield) but the place is slowly growing on me - I'm even considering buying some popcorn.
Brendan
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Brendan »

Very rarely post but thought I would give my impressions.

First game was in 1966 , I was passed surfing style over everyones head and plonked pitch side and watched the whole game with my back against the South Bank wall. My Dad could not see me for the whole 90 minutes but there was a system where he asked the person in front of him, who asked the person in front of them and so on till someone saw me , said I was OK and the message passed back in reverse, I was hooked but that was then and we are now at the New Stadium.

Searching system is now much better

Beer is too pricey at £4.90

In band 5, long way but I can see OK

Easy access to toilets during match, necessary due to my age

Walk from Stratford is OK, go via HighRoad and over bridge zig zagging to Carpenters tunnel, used to walk back to Manor Park station at old ground so this is better.

Toilets at half time are better.

Never ate at new or old ground so food prices do not effect me.

Not much atmosphere where I am but that is fine, can feel the atmosphere generated by the more vocal types, well done to you lads.

People around me are good but two new numpties were behind me who I had never never seen before, were giving outrageous stick to Ince and kept mentioning the Paul Ince 1989 shirt photo. These two blokes were not born in 1989!

My preference would have been some sort of rebuild at UP. Cant go back but overall my current match day experience is a good one.

I can fully understand why people dont like the new ground but the this is my honest opinion.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammerdivone wrote: Our seats are row 20 and we stayed nice and dry so no idea how you got wet 17 rows further back Pinky?

Although a couple in front of us did bear the brunt of a roof leak
The answers quite simple HD1, you presumably were sat in the West , I was in the East .
rottiel wrote:Didn't realise you still got wet in the posh seats though.
We insist upon it .It's an expression of solidarity with the front dozen rows around the whole stadium , but mostly with the Manager .Henceforth if Slaven has his coat off , mines coming off .

Even in the summer we ask for a gentle spray to be made above our heads .
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

mike1961 wrote:There have only been a few games where it has felt OK (Chelsea in the League Cup, Spurs, Huddersfield) but the place is slowly growing on me - I'm even considering buying some popcorn.
I think you'll find 3,000 Huddersfield who disagree with it being "OK"...
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

the pink palermo wrote:The answers quite simple HD1, you presumably were sat in the West , I was in the East .
You are indeed correct.

We really must demand equality, I'll be having a word!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Whatever stadium we would have moved into with 55k seats and cheap season tickets (for adults and kids), we would have empty seats every game

There are plenty of people in this day and age, some hardcore west ham fans, some casual west ham fans, some who like football who live in London, who have no issue with paying for a season ticket and then not turning up every game, especially when they are priced at £500 or less. A lot of people in London have large disposable incomes and happy to buy a ticket to go as and when

Of course, the kids issue doesn't help. Bloke who i go with bought season tickets for his two young kids at £99 a pop. They probably only went half of the games last year and thus the seats were left empty.

This is not a issue with the London Stadium as such, would have been the same wherever we moved to with this increase in capacity (or even if we had done up the Boleyn) - whether we 'need' the additional capacity is another matter entirely of course...
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

If the club grew a pair, every set of away fans hate our ground. Somebody somewhere could use that as a building block for turning the ground into a fortress
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

We got wet a couple of times last year on the front row of West Stand last year... Wind must have been kind to us on Monday night as it hardly touched us :D

We used to get wet in the front row of the chicken run at UP too so really am not that bothered.. it's kinda part of football for me!
cowelly2006

Post by cowelly2006 »

Where has the myth come from that we play chants through the speakers at the OS?

Obviously we have bubbles before kick off and also we have on occasion had "come on you irons" played at the end of a VT but I haven't at any point heard anything during the match go through the speakers.
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Kentammer »

All this talk of us buying the stadium.

I'm sure it's something that will be offered to us at some stage, as the government try to cut their losses on a stadium seemingly incapable of turning a profit. But given that, why would G,S & B buy it? The deal we have is a steal.

If the government is desparate to offload it, I figure it's more likely it'll be offered to us free of charge. Hasn't it already been written off somewhere as having a value of effectively zero? But, in this instance, and again: would G, S & B take it? Our current deal, albeit with no ownership, is better. But ownership is only really useful if we intend to sell it to developers and build a new ground, which I can't see happening any time soon.

So, could we get to a situation whereby the government (and I'm obviously using 'government' as shorthand here) actively PAY us to take it and to get out of the shitty contract they're now tied to for 99 years? Even then: would GSB do it? What's the advantage (sum dependent).

Either way, whoever negotiated that contract on their side, over a barrel or not, should be shot.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Even if we buy the thing, which is at least the thick end of a decade away from happening, it will be even longer before any major restructuring works happen, if they happen at all. We will be going into the 2030/31 season playing in a "converted" athletics stadium and if we're not I'll donate fifty bitcoins to the Bobby Moore Fund.