Moving of statue [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should the World Cup winners statue remain in Upton Park or be relocated at Stratford?

Leave it where it is
32%
Take it with us
62%
Unsure
5%

Total votes: 268

Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Moving of statue [POLL]

Post by Robbie »

Finger wrote:
You might wanna retract that statement.
I'm not sure what your agenda is here Finger....?
I lived in East Grinstead too for 30 odd years. I also had early years in Poplar. Massive difference.
Where you live now is a town that loves it's snobbery and wealth. People 'generally' seem to have an air of something they are not, or something they want to be. You appear (by your posts) to fit this category.
I know many people from EG who carry themselves with dignity too.
I will not question your allegiance to West Ham United as you are clearly a knowledgeable man and know your stuff.
But why do you feel the need to deride and put down all the time?
That 'cesspit' is an area that my family lived, worked and bettered themselves in. It's also an area that I have known for over 40 years.
Have you any link to the area? I'm genuinley interested.
Edit: I have voted stay.
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Sweeney Bod wrote: Your debate seems centred around hyperbole. Just as it is not a cesspit now, it was not a wonderland. What it was was a community the majority of West Ham fans were either part of or could relate to. No amount of lectures about historical immigration or PC rhetoric will change the fact that now we have moved, Upton Park, the area, has as much to do with West Ham as Salford does.
Well yeah, I'm kinda countering the narrative. I don't want to comment too much, an an outsider to the area, but I've studied the history of the area and it doesn't always fit the impression people like to give. Like the idea the current gangs are horrible shits who drain on the community (true), but the old "villains" were just a colourful group of naughty lads (hmmmm).

I'm not interested in what is PC, just what is true. Has London traditionally seen high levels of change, high levels of immigration (relatively)? Of course.

I disagree that it doesn't have anything to do with West Ham, whatever happens, because our history was made there. Even if a nuclear bomb kills every bug in the area, that will still be where we won, lost, scored, conceded, cheered and shouted.

This is getting a bit philosophical. Nature of identity and that. Meh, it's just a statue, do whatever.

Just to add, I also live in East Grinstead. That's odd, three in the thread. Maybe it's the new Barking? Move the statue to Saint Hill! :crest:
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I think it should stay where it is.

Build a new history in Stratford and leave the old memories behind where they belong, in the community where the dream of 1966 was forged. :crest:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Collison Theory.....Saint Hill.....???? :oops:
Have you ever been there?
It's not right I'm telling you.
Bobby and the Boys would have the willies I reckon.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Leave it where it is and commission a new statue for Stratford.

My mother in law lives round the corner to the Boleyn and the locals want it to stay. Moore and co played in that area and didn't play in Stratford. They were part of that community and the club has been part of that community. It's important to take our history with us but I think this is a bit different.

Slightly different scenario but the Johnny Unitas statue is in Baltimore despite his Baltimore Colts relocating to Indianapolis.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Robbie wrote:Collison Theory.....Saint Hill.....???? :oops:
Have you ever been there?
It's not right I'm telling you.
Bobby and the Boys would have the willies I reckon.
Yep, inside and everything. They've already got a statue of Hubbard up there! East Grinstead is the home of the cult, how about the cult of '66?
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

It is a shame to read some views on here of people who have or had family or connections to the area other than just football.

For those who live there still, or have family who do, why should they be deprived of the club and a piece of its history? After all, everyone else left, not them. In time they will tear down the ground. The club has tried to "cleanse" itself of its history in a sense, especially with the flogging of so much memorabilia in the auction. The club goes, the ground goes, the statue goes. The heart and soul of the area goes.

What difference does it make to those who couldn't wait to move on? If you have no connection with the area other than the football club, why deride it with views and terms such as "cesspit".

Those who stayed on and still do their bit to make it a little better than it obviously is right now, need to be praised and encouraged for doing so. A statue in itself isn't going to make the area go back to what it was say 40 years ago. But it represents much more than that. It's a small victory in the long battle ahead to make life for those who stayed behind and still live there that little bit better day by day.

If you are not going to visit the area again,and have no further connection, then why should you have a say on what happens to the statue either?

At the same time, if you left the area, and made no attempt to improve it, either before or since leaving, why be derogatory about it? Surely you are a part of the reason as to why the area has failed in recent years?

Stepney and East Ham will always be a big part of me. I have never known them to be anything much to look at, but they are absolutely steeped in family and football history for me. I wont be turning my nose up to them.

Let the statue stay.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

when you move you dont leave your kids behind and they are our most famous of sons

take with
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

judging by some of the activity on other threads, I suspect that cesspit line was trolling, so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the statue was built to commemorate the club's contribution to the World Cup win, rather than anything to do with the area. If the statue was on the other side of the John Lyall gates, we would be taking it with. It is the club's history, not that of the area.
The Old Mile End wrote:The club goes, the ground goes, the statue goes. The heart and soul of the area goes.
Personally, I think that was the case as soon as the club moved, a statue won't change that.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Leave it where it is. Should be some reminders of the club once the stadium has gone.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

My fear is that it will be ignored/neglected by the majority where it is, but will be loved & cared for @ The OS.

It will be a truly a focal point at our new stadium, thousands getting their photo with it each & every home game.

Most importantly it will act as an inspiration for FUTURE generations at the OS, rather than a relic of the PAST on an Island Junction off the Barking Road!

I love the thought of walking past that with my 9 year old son next season and beyond.

I prefer to look forwards rather than backwards.

(I also think that any homage to the Boleyn Ground should actually be on the site of our old home, rather than next to a set of traffic lights...!)

Has anyone actually asked Peters, Hurst, Cohen and Bobby Moore's family for their opinion???!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:
Has anyone actually asked Peters, Hurst, Cohen and Bobby Moore's family for their opinion???!

Don't ask Hurst ffs, he will probably demand disturbance money to move. :D
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

they should move it to the garden of a semi-detached in southend.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

ageing hammer wrote:Don't ask Hurst ffs, he will probably demand disturbance money to move.
:lol:
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

WestHamIFC wrote: Most importantly it will act as an inspiration for FUTURE generations at the OS, rather than a relic of the PAST on an Island Junction off the Barking Road!
Which is exactly what a statue is.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

WestHamIFC wrote:Has anyone actually asked Peters, Hurst, Cohen and Bobby Moore's family for their opinion???![/b]
Not sure why you'd ask George Cohen's family. You might ask Ray Wilson's though!
upminstercraig

Post by upminstercraig »

My suggestion to the club would be to leave the old one where it is, & have fresh one made for the move.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Isn't the Council planning to remodel that junction and it needs to move anyway?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

upminstercraig wrote:My suggestion to the club would be to leave the old one where it is, & have fresh one made for the move.
Very sensible, unfortunately I can't see "Lady Brady" agreeing to pay.
Finger

Post by Finger »

Can we please stop digging out Brady at every opportunity?