Jonathan Calleri

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jonathan Calleri

Postby BonzosBoots on Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

One last time......an entry into West Ham History....

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... lenges.jpg
BonzosBoots

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Calleri played most of the game vs Swansea, and then games vs Stoke, Everton, Spurs and Liverpool

We got 8 points from those 5 games

Whether you think individually he played well, or not, the fact is he was part of the line-up that managed to get enough points in those five points to get us over the line. His effort and pressing from the front played a part in enabling us to play the defensive style we adopted

Clearly Bilic got it right in doing what was needed to be done
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby wildkard on Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Bilic persisted with Calleri because Fletcher showed the square root of eff all when he played, bar that single goal back in the mists of time.
wildkard

Postby Aztec Hammer on Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

1 poxy goal in a season, and even that was a deflection.

See ya pal
Aztec Hammer

Postby wildkard on Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm

FWIW, I think it would've been a good idea to keep him. Not for the £16m being mooted, mind. That would be bananas.
wildkard

Postby bobd_uk on Thu May 25, 2017 2:40 pm

wildkard wrote:FWIW, I think it would've been a good idea to keep him. Not for the £16m being mooted, mind. That would be bananas.

If his club want £16m then keeping him really isn't an idea at all though! I thought he was awful. Tried hard, but I want more than that in a player. Some sort of vague footballing ability for example.
bobd_uk

Postby BonzosBoots on Thu May 25, 2017 2:48 pm

I was always left with the thought, after watching him, maybe I could have made it? Mainly, because I was that bad as well.
BonzosBoots

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 25, 2017 2:57 pm

he made Mido look like Ronaldo ( either of them )
chigwells finest

Postby cowelly2006 on Thu May 25, 2017 2:59 pm

One of the worst West Ham players I have ever seen! Played a part in the Spurs win but other than that he was complete :thdn:
cowelly2006

Postby kitthehammer on Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Calleri did improve but that really was from utterly appalling to ok. Every time Fletcher came on he looked better than Calleri but i believe there was something going on with his contract as to why he didn't get a a game before Calleri. Either that or Calleri played like Messi in training..
Who knows? Maybe one or the other or both or none will come good. But i'm not sad to see Calleri go based on what i saw although it's difficult to judge at that age.
If he was on a free and we had another season to keep trying him then i'd say yes but not for a huge fee and in place of fletcher.
kitthehammer

Postby kitthehammer on Thu May 25, 2017 3:25 pm

wildkard wrote:Bilic persisted with Calleri because Fletcher showed the square root of eff all when he played, bar that single goal back in the mists of time.

Just goes to show how you can have different viewpoints of the same match or player but i thought generally Fletcher looked much more dangerous than Calleri.
kitthehammer

Postby szola on Thu May 25, 2017 3:28 pm

What ever people think about the player, he was part of the line up that gave us a good run of games in the end of this season. As was Nordtveit and Byram.

Calleri has added more to the results this season than Arbeloa, Töre, Zaza, Henry, Snodgrass, Randolph, Sakho, Hendrie, Fletcher.
And looking back on the players we've had, there would be plenty more.
szola

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu May 25, 2017 3:32 pm

kitthehammer wrote:Calleri did improve but that really was from utterly appalling to ok. Every time Fletcher came on he looked better than Calleri but i believe there was something going on with his contract as to why he didn't get a a game before Calleri. Either that or Calleri played like Messi in training..
Who knows? Maybe one or the other or both or none will come good. But i'm not sad to see Calleri go based on what i saw although it's difficult to judge at that age.
If he was on a free and we had another season to keep trying him then i'd say yes but not for a huge fee and in place of fletcher.

It is probably as simple as the fact Calleri better suited the defensive way Bilic wanted to play in those matches, and to be fair, from a movement, harrying defenders, and hold up point of view he did pretty well in most of those games

calleri also had greater pedigree and goal scoring record compared to Fletcher. The Brazilian league is better than English Division 3

It was a decision Bilic made, and it has been proved to be the right one
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby hammerdivone on Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Jumby wrote:Not in this case, no, it was a f**king loan deal that ended. What were we going to do, keep him hostage?

How about exercising the option to buy?
hammerdivone

Postby Dyl on Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Worked hard, but absolute **** at being a striker, which is his job. So, thank **** he's gone.
Dyl

Postby Sauce! on Thu May 25, 2017 4:57 pm

The biggest cheer he ever got from West Ham fans was when he was subbed off at Stoke.

I think that says a lot.
Sauce!

Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Postby Marky on Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Thank god.

One of the worst players of the last 10 years and an insult to so many ex players.

Bottling out of tackles, incapable of shooting. Talentless. He will amount to nothing.
Marky

Postby hammers92 on Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Why is everyone slating him?

He runs a lot
hammers92

Postby Lostcoco on Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Watch him score 15+ goals next season
Lostcoco

Postby MB on Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm

kitthehammer wrote:Just goes to show how you can have different viewpoints of the same match or player but i thought generally Fletcher looked much more dangerous than Calleri.

Not hard to look more dangerous than a striker who would probably miss if the other team all went home!

Problem with Fletcher is that he is not strong enough. When he contests the ball it looks like a boy trying to tackle/win a header against a man. The slightest breeze and he gets knocked of the ball.

Hopefully that is a muscle maturity issue as if he adds a bit of strength then I think he can come good next season as the other parts of his game are shaping up.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion