Jonathan Calleri

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jonathan Calleri

Postby Modern on Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 pm

That's the really odd thing though isn't it, he is owned by investors (supposedly the reason Spurs didn't want to do the deal). Loaning a player from South America when the likelihood is he will take time to settle in and need a second season anyway ,It's all very unusual.
Modern

Postby JerseyHammer on Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Modern wrote: ,It's all very unusual.

Unless you support West Ham, in which case this is standard.

I was always willing to give Calleri a chance. He consistently disappointed but I had a shred of faith still. Then he put in a great shift vs you lot, but follows it up by putting in possibly the laziest performance ever witnessed.
JerseyHammer

Postby jacko on Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Modern wrote:Strange this on has gone so badly. I remember when Spurs were linked last season and he was being talked up so much, really felt of all West Ham's signings he would be the best one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ri-7590803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really, this is what agents to do get punt a player around.

On a different note,,,

I think he's had one good game since he played for us - suprised people want him to stay Has never really looked like scoring goals.
jacko

Postby Marcus on Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Is he back in Argentina?
Not even the 7th sub yesterday...
Marcus

Postby Marky on Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 pm

I never want to see this man again. I need to hear an anoiuncement that he is out of my life.
Marky

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Marky wrote:I never want to see this man again. I need to hear an anoiuncement that he is out of my life.

http://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-w ... o-striker/

Done. Thank **** that's over.
HammerMan2004

Postby Kialos on Tue May 23, 2017 5:53 pm

The right decision, it is all very well people saying he would have settled in more second season but you have to see something about a player to see some spark of hope and with Calleri there was next to none. Running around a lot does not cut it, all sorts of excuses were being made. Lack of confidence being the usual hackneyed explanation. I wish him well but PL striker? No.
Kialos

Postby warp on Tue May 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Marky wrote:I never want to see this man again. I need to hear an anoiuncement that he is out of my life.

:lol:
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby ballantine on Tue May 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Modern wrote:That's the really odd thing though isn't it, he is owned by investors (supposedly the reason Spurs didn't want to do the deal). Loaning a player from South America when the likelihood is he will take time to settle in and need a second season anyway ,It's all very unusual.

I was actually disappointed the HMRC couldn't find him when they raided the stadium in April...
ballantine

Postby hammerdivone on Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 pm

hammerdivone

Postby Jumby on Thu May 25, 2017 1:29 pm

I don't think Bilic had a say in what happened with Calleri, whatever happened he was off. If he'd done well he'd be signing a contract at a 'bigger' club.
Jumby

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 25, 2017 1:29 pm

feel a song coming on ....
chigwells finest

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Goodbye John. Thanks for all your effort, shame you had no talent.
Knighter10WHU

Postby hammerdivone on Thu May 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Jumby wrote:I don't think Bilic had a say in what happened with Calleri, whatever happened he was off. If he'd done well he'd be signing a contract at a 'bigger' club.

So Bilic has no say in who stays and who goes, the things you learn....
hammerdivone

Postby MooreHurst on Thu May 25, 2017 1:32 pm

What I find baffling is that Bilic probably knew he would be sent back a couple of months ago but he still persisted putting him in the side ahead of Fletcher. I don't see anything from Calleri, such as hold up play, that he does better than Fletcher. Why he didn't play Fletcher, who we own and is promising, ahead of him is weird.
MooreHurst

Postby WorcesterWHU on Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

MooreHurst wrote:What I find baffling is that Bilic probably knew he would be sent back a couple of months ago but he still persisted putting him in the side ahead of Fletcher. I don't see anything from Calleri, such as hold up play, that he does better than Fletcher. Why he didn't play Fletcher, who we own and is promising, ahead of him is weird.

The fact that we spent a period of the season deciding between these two as our primary striking option is the more worrying thing.

The Daves love a striker. About time they went out and got a decent one.
WorcesterWHU

Postby Jumby on Thu May 25, 2017 1:38 pm

hammerdivone wrote:
So Bilic has no say in who stays and who goes, the things you learn....

Not in this case, no, it was a f**king loan deal that ended. What were we going to do, keep him hostage?
Jumby

Postby claret parrot on Thu May 25, 2017 1:46 pm

That's exactly my thoughts. I can understand every chance being given to a player if he's your own player but why persevere with a bloke who's on loan and demonstrating none of the qualities that might make us want to take him on a permanent?

We had Ashley Fletcher champing at the bit. He couldn't have done any worse surely, may have revealed himself to be another Marcus Rashford or at least got a bit of first team experience and showed us whether he is likely to able to cut it or not.

All we seem to have achieved is provided Calleri with a platform on which to have his poor first season and gained the experience that just might mean his second season elsewhere is a massive improvement.

We as a club make some very strange decisions it seems to me.
claret parrot

Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.

Postby MooreHurst on Thu May 25, 2017 1:46 pm

WorcesterWHU wrote:
The fact that we spent a period of the season deciding between these two as our primary striking option is the more worrying thing.

The Daves love a striker. About time they went out and got a decent one.

Totally agree but that is a whole different story....

Bilic has these two to pick and its odd he picked one over the other. You never know what the players look like in training but I just saw nothing whatsoever from Calleri in games that would have allowed him to play the last lot of games.
MooreHurst

Postby claret parrot on Thu May 25, 2017 1:54 pm

It must have been bloody obvious to Bilic that Calleri was a return to sender months ago. What does Bilic know about Fletcher that we don't?
claret parrot

Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion