Arthur Masuaku

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Arthur Masuaku

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 am

oph

if I have to explain layman's terms like "pressured by" or "closely marked by" then you obviously don't understand.

no, Masuaku was only poised to join the attack if and when the ball came over Rice (if it did) but it didn't.

so you are now projecting things that didn't happen.

Balbuena's job ISN'T to defend the goal.

his job is to cover Noble who is attempting to block the cross...or block the cross if he can

Diopp has the centre covered..would you prefer than Balbuena runs straight back to the middle of the field towards the goal ?

:shock:

Diopp also has cover. Masuaku.

1st defender pressures the ball
2nd defender provides cover
3rd defender adds "balance" so he can move over and cover if necessary while meantime making sure that any other attacker can be covered.

it's simple coaching 101.

it ain't rocket science. you can make excuses for Masuaku all you want. he is in a position to get across and shadow Murray.

he doesn't - he stops. if he was out of the picture or had 3 players to contend with or something there could be another explanation. he didn't and there wasn't.

watch the bloody thing again if you have to.

jackhammer....Rice is out of position due to Yarmolenko. he runs as fast as he can to get goal side. he can't. nor can Noble. Neither are blessed with Usain Bolt speed.

why shouldn't Murray be Masuaku's man ? he hasn't got anyone else to mark. are you suggesting he should say "Isn't my job, isn't my man ?"

:shock:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby hammerman11 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:55 am

masuaka was at fault for the goal had he got near him he may have prevented the opportunity he chose to stop and watch murray put it in. bad defending by him. full stop.

Arthur has been better defensively but this has resulted in a curb in his attacking . This must be down to MP.

still early days with this team so we cut Arthur some slack.

onto spurs where he and the rest must up their game.
hammerman11

Postby stu1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 am

thejackhammer wrote:Criminal that Murray is left by our 3 central defensive players, including Rice in that. Murray should never have been Masuaku’s man, the fact he was left to him is the problem.

The only reason Masuaku was left with Murray was because he didn’t react in time to track the player who makes a run to the front post. If he had Diop could have stayed with Murray.

Masuaku is certainly far more to blame than Diop for the goal. If Diop doesn’t track the front post run and that player scores, everyone would be saying the goal was Diop’s fault as he should have passed Murray over to Masuaku.

Diop could see the danger developing straight away, as shown by him pointing at the runner Masuaku needs to track. If Masuaku had spotted the danger as quickly as Diop or just listened we’d have had a much better chance of preventing the goal.
stu1

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 am

When we give the ball away, Rice is as close to the player running through the middle as Masuaku. Arthur starts running back towards the goal (quicker than an of our midfielders), not in-field, as any full back would.

If anything, Rice should move automatically move across into the middle and follow the runner who is making the most central run. He should see Balbuena has gone over and fill in to his position. He ends up following a player (not very well in honesty) who is not really in a dangerous position.

By the time the play has moved on it is too late for Diop to start telling Masuaku to take the inside man. As anyone who has played CB knows, if in doubt, stay on your CF, even if that means another player may be free.

Yes Masuaku should have done better at the very end of the move and definitely made a better effort to stay with Murray, but it was the poor decision making up to that point which got us into the situation.

As with the vast majority of goals conceded it was a collective fault by a number of players
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby stu1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Crouchend,

You are completely ignoring the fact that Rice tracks a separate runner. The only player who doesn’t affect the play who is in a position to do so is Masuaku.

To quote Gary Neville who certainly knows a thing or two about playing as full back “The execution is brilliant, the finish is wonderful, but I have no idea what Masuaku is doing”.

I don’t think anyone is disputing there were a number of errors made, but Yarmolenko’s and Authur’s are clearly the most crucial and obvious. Arthur didn’t track or press a single player and the person closest to him scored, that is extremely poor. He without should have done more to prevent the goal.
Last edited by stu1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu1

Postby Aceface on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Might be just me, but seems like his attacking threat has gone down a notch since last season.

Which is odd given the set-up, on paper, seems designed to bring that out of him more than last season's default defensive crouch. You'd have received long odds when Fredericks signed early doors that Zabaleta would look the most attacking of the four fullback options this year.
Aceface

Postby frankiemac on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm

for the record, i held him completely accountable for the goal v brighton

but bloody hell, we do love a witch hunt

how many chances did our strikers miss?? they are as accountable for us getting nothing in the game...
frankiemac

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm

frankie

yep they are.....most definitely.....

Arnie and Balbuena (he was in a striker's position and should have hit the target...)

how hard did Yarmolenko get mullered for missing that gilt edged chance against Chelsea from Snodder's cross ?

the closer you get to your own goal, mistakes are more unforgiving...it's a nature of the position and although "hardly fair" - that's the way the game is.

goalkeeper makes a real gaff and it is much more damaging than if Arnie et el screw one wide of the post when having a good chance to score.

and it affects the scoreline much more (in a microscopic view) than missing chances although in fact missing open chances probably is worse.....

but the game is all about goals scored and goals conceded. those who concede the most and score the fewest usually end up being relegated.

sad fact of life but it's usually the case.

3 clubs with the worst goal difference in the PL occupy 3 of the bottom 5 spots. in the league. the other 2 places are occupied by the teams with the next worst.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots#

has us placed about where we are in the actual league standings in shots on target and goals scored and 13th in goals allowed.

presumably now why these days, big money is being spent on improving defenders and goal keepers.

they now cost almost as much (more in some cases) as the people who score or assist goals. if you never give up a goal, you probably won't get relegated as it's a guarantee of 38 points.

that's why Big Sam's mantra always was "Respect the point."

not condoning it, it's just the way it is.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm

stu1 wrote:Crouchend,

You are completely ignoring the fact that Rice tracks a separate runner. The only player who doesn’t affect the play who is in a position to do so is Masuaku.

I am not ignoring it. I mentioned it in my post. But IMHO he tracks the wrong runner.

As the DM midfielder he should immediately move across in to the centre and follow that runner. Balbuena, in his position towards the right, should be able to deal with both players least likely to affect the play. Neither of them are running directly towards the goal.

Rice tracks that runner through the centre, Diop stays on Murray and Masuaku is there to cover either.

Of course Masuaku didn't cover himself in glory at the end, but there was no need for him to be left marking Murray in the first place

Small errors of judgement across the pitch, that often get ironed out with more game-play experience
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Crouchy

there might be a no reason why Rice could or should have, Or Noble. Or Balbuena. Or Yarmo. Or Zaba.

at the end of the day Masuaku is in the position to cover Diop and mark Murray.

he does neither. I am not sure how many times it has to be pointed out. there is one spare defender. Masuaku.

there is one spare player to mark. Murray.

whether or not everyone on that side of the field does or doesn't do their job, there is still the matter of Murray being given free reign to score and one defender who just stops.

if he gets over, Murray muscles him out of it and still scores, fair enough, he's done his best to prevent a goal.

he does nothing.

NOTHING.

"There's none so blind, as those who will not see..."
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby goa127 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

It may not be ideal for Arthur to be left marking Murray but that's because the ball has been lost while our players are attacking. Watching the video it seems that Arthur thinks Diop is going to win the ball at the near post so stops tracking Murray. The irony of course is that if diop had been less successful in his challenge on the near post the ball would not have ended up at murray's feet. It might have ended up in the net from the near post but that was a more difficult position than Murray's. Yarmolenko's sloppiness is annoying because a simple ball to Rice opens the game up as well as being safe. Zab's position is then useful because he has put himself in a good attacking position. Hindsight eh? It's easy to pull it apart now but Arthur wins the wooden spoon for not covering all possibilities.
goa127

Postby hammerman11 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 am

I am sure MP and his team will have explained this all to Arthur who is clearly more defensive than before.
is cresswell a better option than Arthur ? MP thinks not at the moment and so we must support our players. a confident masuaka like any player performs better.

so enough slagging him off and support him and the rest of this emerging team.
hammerman11

Postby goa127 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm

hammerman11 wrote:I am sure MP and his team will have explained this all to Arthur who is clearly more defensive than before.
is cresswell a better option than Arthur ? MP thinks not at the moment and so we must support our players. a confident masuaka like any player performs better.

so enough slagging him off and support him and the rest of this emerging team.

fair comment
goa127

Postby Pulls up Trees on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:36 pm

He's better than Cresswell. Just not by much.

It's weird though that Anderson is in the Top 10 for midfielder tackles this season, yet Arthur is playing more defensively.
Pulls up Trees

Postby Mosterhammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:58 pm

1.I think we have to give Brighton more credit for the goal. It was a well worked goal after they won the ball. My personal opinion is that it is a great run from Murray as well and I'm not sure Masuaku would have made any difference had he followed him. I hope Pellers talks to him about it, and what he expects in a situation like that.

2.But I hope he tears Yarmolenko's head off for doing a stupid thing like that. You never loose the ball as easy as that, turning with the ball into the man tracking you is something you learn not to do when you are a kid. Tragic.

3.I also hope he gives it to the whole team who turned up thinking the game would be a stroll in the park.
Mosterhammer

Postby Gsbgsb on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 pm

The goal was a result of a series of errors rather than being down to a single individual.

Noble could have either not passed to a closely marked player or at least given him a decent ball not one he had to stretch for.

Yarmolenko could have been far stronger in possession.

Once we lost the ball, as has been debated at length, various better decisions could have been made defensively.

Let’s hope that all of this is examined and worked on but equally we had significantly more possession, especially after the goal, and did very little with it in terms of troubling their keeper. For me that is as worrying if not more so. We were very poor in the final third.

Mistakes will happen, you equally cannot legislate against wonder strikes or great play from the opposition. What you can do is work to eliminate the mistakes and ensure that, if and when they do happen, they are of less consequence because of what you have done with the ball. Turn our possession into 2 goals and there would not be the detailed discussion on their goal.
Gsbgsb

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 pm

gsc

It might not have had the same relevance but it would still have been debated.

and if my auntie had you know whats, she'd be my uncle...

Let's turn it around somewhat..

we are attacking from the same position...Antonio is is Arthur's position and completely comes to a halt. the defender clears the ball.

do you think all would be forgiven ?

I don't.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:48 am

time to move on. he and others made errors. it happens. we responded with a few chances and lots of possession. we couldn't score the goals we needed as we rely on arnie too much.

how that is resolved will play an important part in our season.

yes we need to tighten up but we also need a few scoring goals or else one error as at brighton will cost us dear.
hammerman11

Postby goa127 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:34 pm

I agree it's time to move on, BUT if we don't give away a sloppy goal Brighton might not have put 10 men behind the ball for the rest of the game, so it's relevant.
goa127

Postby brooking1966 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Yarma is totally left footed, his weight is mostly on his planting RF so better to pass the ball to his unweighted/lifted/free LF. Lack of pace on a short pass to his weak weighted foot is a recipe for disaster imo. Hopefully, the players chemistry will come along with more game time together.
brooking1966

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion