Arthur Masuaku

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Arthur Masuaku

Postby danny faithless on Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am

It is interesting that Liverpool and Manchester City both play with attacking full backs but in very different ways.

Because Liverpool's front three play very central, Robertson and TAA's role is simply to bomb forward without the ball, provide the overlap and cross. They don't have to be that skillful as they don't carry the ball that much.

At Manchester City the full backs don't cross the ball much, but are still attacking. Their role is to play as auxiliary wide midfielders rather than wingers.They are involved in the build up of getting the ball forward and often drift inside to help the central midfielders. The attacking width is still provided by Sterling/ Sane/ Mahrez etc

I think Pelle's prefers us to play more like Manchester City which is why he likes the technical ability of Masuaku to link up play. His touch and close control in tight spaces is very good indeed and he has pace to beat a man. Cresswell can deliver a cross when he has plenty of time to set himself, but the rest of his game from an attacking sense is limited - he would probably do well at Liverpool because crossing is pretty much all the full backs are asked to do[/quote]

:thup:
danny faithless

Postby Patito on Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 am

Patito

Postby HammerAl on Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

I think many have judged him as a player on one or two high profile mistakes he's made in the past. He has made mistakes, he does occasionally run the ball out of play and he does let his man go at times, but all of our players make mistakes - they're only human! - it's just he, along with a few others, seem to be more harshly treated than others.
HammerAl

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Scored his first goal for DR Congo tonight in a draw with Kenya, congratulations Arfur
61dicksey

Postby Jedi Al Khalaas on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Postby Colours never run on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Let's not brush over the fact Masuaku is an appalling Defender. Can sometimes be very good going forward but he's a woeful left back generally. He can be improved on quite easily.

I don't want the Club to fall into the same complacent trap as some when considering Masuaku as a permanent solution to being our left back. He's had far too many poor games in that position that I care to recall.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:33 pm

He really isn't an 'apalling' defender at all. He is on a par with many other attacking full backs in the Premier League
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 am

He definitely got better towards the end of the season (really good away at Spurs for example), but I still feel LB is a priority position for us to upgrade upon. Cresser has looked better this past season as well after not being the same player since that horrible injury in pre-season a few years back, and I still feel better seeing his name in the starting 11 than Arfur's (simply cos he's a more natural defender), but looking at how well we seem to be upgrading quality-wise right across the team, I feel LB is a position we could and should be looking to improve upon. We've got some great CB's (the Diop Man U rumours notwithstanding), a top-class keeper with plenty of experienced back-up if required, and the RB's are sorted with Fredericks and Zabba. The midfield and attacking positions have been upgraded really well both last and this summer already, so for me LB is a natural position to prioritise. Both Arfur and Cresser are decent in their own way, and I wouldn't exactly be coughing in my rompers if they were still our 2 there come next season - indeed if you could combine both players' best traits you'd have a top drawer LB - but I still think we should be looking at better in keeping with how we're developing the rest of the team/squad.

A couple of things in Arfur's favour - I didn't realise he was only 24; in my ignorance I thought he was in his late 20's, so theoretically he can perhaps still be developed as a player defensively... and following that hope is how Pellers (and his staff) has shown he can get a tune out of players we might once have given up on to a degree. Am thinking Snodgrass and Antonio specifically here, albeit they're not defenders.

Apparently there's been a strong link with Cresser going to Everton; if he were to go, I'd hope for a replacement with a view to being 1st choice rather than as back-up to Arfur. But irregardless... in Pellers we trust. :thup:
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby e17 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:44 am

I’d much rather we sold phone-in merchant Cresswell than this fella. At least he guarantees excitement even if that’s sometimes of the heart attack variety,

Cresswell has literally offered nothing as an outlet for about two seasons. Gets the ball, slows the game down, looks to pass it back to the keeper or central defence. Bloke is stealing a living.

Totally agree Arthur should be back up though and that LB is a serious priority.
e17

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:31 am

we were targeted so many games on that left side because a) either FBs were awful or b) because it was felt that Anderson didn't track back enough or c) both of the above....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby ballantine on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 am

I think Anderson does enough tracking back for the kind of player he is. He's not very good at what he does in our half, but I can't fault his efforts. But ideally, we would have an LB with more defensive strengths than both Creswell and Masuaku.
ballantine

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:01 am

I wasn't trying to draw conclusions, just thinking the way that maybe an opposing coach saw things

it wasn't mere coincidence that we were targeted that often by all types of different coaches/teams
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby e17 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am

Thing is, I reckon just from my already hazy memory that Anderson had more stonker games with Arthur playing there than he did Cress. I think Anderson’s defensive disinterest showed a lot more when there was no one willing or able to overlap or bring the ball out.
e17

Postby thejackhammer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am

It's what I call the 'Masuaku Excuse'.

Whenever we concede a goal, if it comes from the right, its Masuaku's fault, if it comes from the left, its Masuaku's fault, through the middle, Masuaku's fault.

Its become a lazy excuse for our failing to hold the ball in midfield, as well as to cover for mistakes made by any other player.

When in doubt, blame Masuaku.
thejackhammer

Postby Jedi Al Khalaas on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am

ARTHUR IS S GREST OPTION AND cover for the left hand side like Zabaleta will be for Fredericks for right hand side

He is cheap to keep with not a huge resale value

If a big offer comes in for Treadwell we can see if we can better the primary not the cover which ARTHUR is
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Postby fmgod on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:52 am

He can't defend, I think he is a Championship footballer. I think he would do well in Ligue Un at a bigger team where he can just bomb forward. I don't get what people see in him, in my eyes he is a sub-standard footballer with loads of flicks and tricks but no real actual ability to play for a top ten Prem team
fmgod

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:53 pm

jackhammer

so what I was watching with us being "targeted" down the opposition right and our left, I was imaging it ?

:?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby LeonRivers on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:He really isn't an 'apalling' defender at all. He is on a par with many other attacking full backs in the Premier League

Shhhhhh. Robbie Savage said he was **** on MOTD, so it must be true.
LeonRivers

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm

thejackhammer wrote:It's what I call the 'Masuaku Excuse'.

Whenever we concede a goal, if it comes from the right, its Masuaku's fault, if it comes from the left, its Masuaku's fault, through the middle, Masuaku's fault.

Its become a lazy excuse for our failing to hold the ball in midfield, as well as to cover for mistakes made by any other player.

When in doubt, blame Masuaku.

Exactly, and when I asked someone to actually state which goals were exclusively his fault he couldn't answer

Most of our best defensive displays happened when he was playing - not just at the end of the season, but games v man u, Everton, Chelsea, Leicester at beginning of the season as well
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby LeonRivers on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:jackhammer

so what I was watching with us being "targeted" down the opposition right and our left, I was imaging it ?

:?

Have you any evidence to back up your claim? Any heat maps or similar?
It’s not uncommon for people to see what they want to see.
LeonRivers

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion