Arthur Masuaku

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Arthur Masuaku

Postby Al Fisti on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:If its a choice between Arnie and Arthur on the left wing there is only 1 winner. Arthur is lightning with the ball when he hits his stride.

The run from Masuaku was great yesterday. Both, him and Arni should play on the left side - they could combine well
Al Fisti

Postby Stulaw on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Phil S wrote:
lesser of two evils..he's a better defender, tackler, passer and he'll take his man on. imo

I have a feeling that people who say Cresswell's a shadow of his former self never actually watched him play in the first place, the players around him (namely Downing,Jarvis and Payet) made him look far better than he actually was, he's always been a **** defender who has a good cross on him. It also helped in his first season that he was in an Allardyce team, the same thing helped Jenkinson.

Masuaku's a better defender who was a LM before being switched to LB at Olympiakos. He when he plays LB with West Ham, we almost always concede from down the middle, he makes one mistake against a dominant Manchester United team with Gary Neville focusing on one point, and everyone's at his throat, or last season with the West Brom game where every player on the pitch was terrible after 20 minutes, he gets singled out, probably because he was the "new guy" back then.

So of course he's going to be much better in his natural left midfield position, its a square peg in a square hole.
Stulaw

Postby WHU Independent on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

He may have his faults, but he's blistering quick, left people for dead yesterday.
WHU Independent

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Masuaku played LB for Olympiakos but it's probably worth considering how much defending a LB for Olympiakos has to actually do. Free to join the attack a lot more than a traditional LB for little ol' West Ham.. His tackling is actually very good, positioning and concentration not so much.
hammer1975

Postby Jumby on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm

I'd much rather have him on the left of a front three than at left back, he has the pace and enough ability to really f**k people up.
Jumby

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Has to start games now, taken every chance he's been given this year.

Though as others have said he would replace Ayew not Cresswell for me, looks a lot better going forward than he does as a LB. If I was Slav I'd look into converting him into a winger full-time, like Tottenham did with Bale
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby YorksHammer on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Stulaw wrote:Masuaku's a better defender who was a LM before being switched to LB at Olympiakos. He when he plays LB with West Ham, we almost always concede from down the middle, he makes one mistake against a dominant Manchester United team with Gary Neville focusing on one point, and everyone's at his throat, or last season with the West Brom game where every player on the pitch was terrible after 20 minutes, he gets singled out, probably because he was the "new guy" back then.

So of course he's going to be much better in his natural left midfield position, its a square peg in a square hole.

Really? According to Transfermarkt he played 1 of his 74 games for Olympiacos at left midfield. I had barely watched him before he joined us but in the Champions League matches he played he he was certainly playing left back, too.

Would be playing him at left back, or left wing back if 3-4-3 is the order of the day. He can go around the winger and get the crosses in, get back to help out defensively, and isn't afraid of a tackle.

Lots of revisionist history going on on Cresswell here, too - those around him made him look good, he's always been a poor defender, etc etc. He was great for two season, both offensively and defensively, his overlapping with the left winger was absolutely excellent, he had a wicked cross on him, he knew when to tackle and when to show a man outside, and most importantly got close enough to them to make it hard for them. Since his injury he's visibly slower and more timid in the challenge, and his overall play is less robust. Yes he's been poor since then, but before that he was terrific.
YorksHammer

Postby HammerAl on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Stulaw wrote:I have a feeling that people who say Cresswell's a shadow of his former self never actually watched him play in the first place, the players around him (namely Downing,Jarvis and Payet) made him look far better than he actually was, he's always been a **** defender who has a good cross on him. It also helped in his first season that he was in an Allardyce team, the same thing helped Jenkinson.

Completely agree. He looked good in an Allardyce team but then again most defenders do. I always thought he was fairly one-dimensional and lacked the athletisism for a modern day full back / wingback.

Mas needs to start playing. It can't do anything for a player's confidence if they start, play well and get dropped, or, if they come on, play well and then don't get a chance to start. Right now, I'd have him at full back / wingback over Cresswell and on the wing instead of Ayew or Arnie.
HammerAl

Postby wildkard on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Cresswell's injury has done for him. He was one of our most reliable players before that. Barring a very small handful of games he was never anything less than a 7/10. Don't buy that others around him made him look better than he is. Didn't work that well for Jenkinson did it?
wildkard

Postby Lovejoy2 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Just seen this on Twitter https://twitter.com/2nuitsavec/status/915972809897185281

Not to happy about Kouyate's comment if I'm honest!
Lovejoy2

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I quite like Arthur. 8-)
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 am

hammer1975 wrote:Does anyone else think he'd make a much better left winger than left back?

Decent first touch, good strength and speed. Can take players on and gets his head up.

Have big concerns with his positioning and concentration defensively but those attributes aren't as important on the wing.

Seen nothing this season to change my view from last season.
hammer1975

Postby MD_HM on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

MD_HM

Postby yonni on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am

I don't get it. Why do we buy thee players, fail to bring them on, I mean the potential is there to see, and then sell them cheap only to see them become a first team regular in good a European side. Either they were never going to work in our system, so the scouting is questionable, or the manager didn't want them in the first place!

Can you hear me David!
yonni

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 am

yonni wrote:I don't get it. Why do we buy thee players, fail to bring them on, I mean the potential is there to see, and then sell them cheap only to see them become a first team regular in good a European side. Either they were never going to work in our system, so the scouting is questionable, or the manager didn't want them in the first place!

Can you hear me David!

I think Moyes will love Masuaku and want to keep him.
thejackhammer

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome to the London Stadium, Leighton Baines.
Monkeybubbles

Postby PrinceH on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Masuaku is one - Lanzini another, Obiang probably a third - to build our long term future on.
PrinceH

Postby Hampshire'ammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Although this is his reply on twitter

"In order to avoid any misunderstandings i’d like to stress out that neither me or my agent (Panos Galariotis) know mr. from Italy... So everything that is published is completely false.
I’m only focused on helping my team achieve its goals."
Hampshire'ammer

Postby WestHamIFC on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm

WHU Independent wrote:He may have his faults, but he's blistering quick, left people for dead yesterday.

Yep you don't want him at Left-Back if you can help it, but he's perfect to play Left Wing-Back. One of Bilic's major failings was bizarrely picking the ever-declining Cresswell ahead of him in this position.

Every single time I've seen Arthur play LWB he ripped the opposition a new one. Creating countless chances for us.

If he did go to Serie A he'd tear it up there, and we'd all be wondering how on earth we let him go.
WestHamIFC

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:Welcome to the London Stadium, Leighton Baines.

*shudder*

One of the most overrated Premier League defenders of the last 10 years.
rare as rockinghorse shat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion