Arthur Masuaku

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Arthur Masuaku

Postby peter49uk on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Re their goal and Arthur Masuaku if I remember rightly he did similar for Bournemouth's first goal imo.
peter49uk

Postby Croydon on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I'd like to replace him ASAP.

Masuaku is too much of a liability in my opinion, whether it's continuously trying to dribble the ball out of defence or doing something stupid off the ball, the cons outweigh the pros.

I think both full back positions still need to be addressed; Bertrand and Clyne?
Croydon

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Croydon wrote:I'd like to replace him ASAP.

Masuaku is too much of a liability in my opinion, whether it's continuously trying to dribble the ball out of defence or doing something stupid off the ball, the cons outweigh the pros.

I think both full back positions still need to be addressed; Bertrand and Clyne?

Both are pretty solid, wouldn't be too displeased with either of these. At least you know what you're getting
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby stu1 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Either Bertrand or Clyne would be excellent signings, although I think it is a bit premature to right off fredricks. I’ve also defended Arthur recently but what was he thinking for Brighton’s goal.
stu1

Postby Jumby on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:26 am

I like him but you can't rely on him to defend properly for 90 minutes, he does stupid s**t.
Jumby

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 am

hammer1975 wrote:Why does it have to be one players fault? Multiple errors led to that goal - not equal weighted. To ascribe it wholly to either Yarmo, Noble or Masuaku is simplistic imo. All should have done better.

You are right of course but it does piss people off when one of your defenders can't be bothered to run so that he's in a better position to make a tackle - Masuaku was relying on someone , anyone preventing a cross coming over to Murray but by the time he decided to make a move the ball was in the back of the net - It's lack of effort that pisses supporters off .

Other than that [ and Bournemouth ] Masuaku has been a mini revelation this season as a defender but if he's going to want to play Premier League football he needs to concentrate and put in an effort for 90 minutes .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 am

both cresswell and masuaka are not that good is the sad fact. masuaka is probably the better of the two but makes mistakes that are costly.

we need to strengthen in the LB area either in January or summer 19

may be time for cresswell to return but that does not feel me with confidence either as he is a shadow of the player he was.

could play cresswell at LB and Arthur as LW ? perhaps snoddy in for yarmolenko ?
hammerman11

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am

hammerman11 wrote:both cresswell and masuaka are not that good is the sad fact.

Both look good in the opposition half, neither are good defenders. A lot was made about buying a defensive midfielder in the summer.........LB should have also been a priority.

Also, I wont forgive this bloke for the spitting incident either. Dirty ****.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby fmgod on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:34 am

Cresswell was very decent, top ten left back in the league and then that injury seem to hit him, take his confidence, looks nervous going in for tackles, looks petrified of getting injured again. Cresswell of a few years back is levels above current Arthur unfortunately that seems to be long gone
fmgod

Postby goa127 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am

Of course the goal wasn't solely Arthur's fault but he was the last person who had a chance to stop it. As the attack develops Diop passes Murray on to Arthur, who initially goes with Murray. When the cross initially goes toward the near post Arthur decides to stand and admire Diop's challenge. The ball glances off the attacker's head and lands at Murray's feet with arthur standing two yards behind, throwing his hands up in despair at those idiots for letting the ball reach Murray. It doesn't seem to have occure to him that he should have gone with Murray to at least make life difficult for him. This is exactly the sort of day dreaming for which he is routinely criticised, just very frustrating
goa127

Postby The Gibbins on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am

I just dont know what goes through his head sometimes. He can be useful but ultimately he makes poor decisions, and a lot of them are in dangerous areas
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby sutts07 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am

HammerAl wrote:Bit of a hospital ball from Noble...

HammerAl wrote:Some posters just can’t wait until a player does something wrong

:think:

Noble plays it into Yarmolenko's feet in more than enough space. All he has to do is lay it off to the right as Rice is in full view just inside of him.

Yarmolenko tries to take a touch and take the ball out to the wing (I assume he he looking for Zabaleta, who is already a good 10 yards past him for some reason) but gets it stuck under his feet.

After Yarmolenko is dispossessed, both him and Zabaleta are totally out of the game. Noble and Rice both make decent efforts to get goal side of their men, and both actually do end up getting there too. Balbuena is caught in no mans land but still picks up the first runner leaving Diop with two men, Murray, who Diop is looking after initially, and the winger coming inside who Diop is clearly pointing at here for Masuaku to help out with.

Masuaku ignores the winger so Diop has to track him and passes Murray over to Masuaku, but he ignores Murray too and it is a tap in.

Two players at fault for me. Yarmolenko who got the ball caught under his feet and Masuaku who didn't track his runner. I'd also question why on earth Zabaleta was so high up the pitch as we were playing out from a free kick on the edge of our own box.
sutts07

Postby stu1 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Sutts07 :thup:

Interesting to see that Diop was clearly telling Arthur what he needed to do.
stu1

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Declan Rice should do more there as well

He should move towards the man running through centrally, to allow Diop to stay with Murray who is by far the main threat. Masuaku can then get back and help Diop but not be isolated

Overall it was a poor goal to concede with a number of players making bad decisions
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby HammerAl on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Sutts - there's a bit of a difference between my comment about Noble's pass and other posters' comments who completely rip a player (who they have a clear agenda against) to pieces if they're perceived to have made a mistake. In my opinion it was a bit of a lazy pass as he had three players around him but I'm not blaming him for the goal or kicking up a massive fuss about it - it was just a slight contribution to how to play broke down - but I agree that Yarmolenko probably should have done better when he was on the ball. I don't take any kind of weird pleasure in any of our players making an honest mistake (to then shout about it on here) and would never rinse a player if he did so.

I did also mention a few others players whose positioning / decision making could have contributed towards us conceding the goal (you only picked out the Noble comment), but I haven't called any of them sh*t / useless / a liability etc. I think it's very rare in this team sport where one player can be held completely responsible for a goal being scored / conceded and there are usually more factors behind a goal going in than we can see on the screen or in the stadium.
HammerAl

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm

stu1 wrote:Sutts07 :thup:

Interesting to see that Diop was clearly telling Arthur what he needed to do.

He could quite have easily been telling Rice what to do there as well.
Masuaku was coming from 40 yards up the field on the left flank, but that runner is coming straight through the middle
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Crouchy

I admire your stance to "Stand By Your Man" (sorry Tammy Wynette, couldn't resist) he spots the danger way too late.

FB's job is to tuck in and cover.

1st defender pressures the ball. 2nd defender drops and covers. 3rd defender has to "balance."

He doesn't drop in - and this hr should do the immediate moment we lose the ball. The player in the middle is the most dangerous player. Even if he has someone outside him, he would have to leave that player (but he doesn't have anyone out there) so the immediate concern is the CF.

Yarmolenko should have played one touch to Rice is the simple solution but he didn't - the moment the ball is lost we must regain our defensive shape. That's what is the key to counter attack football.

You can defend him all you like. He is the last man and MOST culpable. Everyone shares some responsibility, usually the case when any team concedes. But he has to assume the bulk of it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby sutts07 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:53 pm

HammerAl wrote:Sutts - there's a bit of a difference between my comment about Noble's pass and other posters' comments who completely rip a player

I did also mention a few others players

Absolutely, fair points and all well made. I actually had you mistaken for a different poster in a different thread who's sole aim is to dig out Noble, thought it was him 'at it again'. Sorry for that.

For me, despite the build up, Masuaku just has to do exactly what Diop is telling him to do and track the winger as he comes inside. If he tracks him, the chances of them scoring are greatly reduced.

Diop could have stayed with Murray and we would have been one on one across the rest of the pitch.
Rice and Noble both actually managed to get goal side of the men they were chasing by the time the cross came in and Balbuena had an eye on Knochart (although he did somehow still lose the run of Knochart, trying to cut out the cross).
sutts07

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:53 pm

I think the only ones at fault were, Yarmalenko, Noble, Balubena, Diop, Rice and Artur.
Not quite sure why Obiang seems to have run back half the distance of the others either.
OnePaulHilton

Postby sutts07 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
He could quite have easily been telling Rice what to do there as well.
Masuaku was coming from 40 yards up the field on the left flank, but that runner is coming straight through the middle

It is a screen shot Crouchy, I can't post the video sadly but trust me, Diop is very clearly telling Masuaku to track the winger in the video.
sutts07

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion