Arthur Masuaku

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Arthur Masuaku

Postby sutts07 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm

OnePaulHilton wrote:I think the only ones at fault were, Yarmalenko, Noble, Balubena, Diop, Rice and Artur.

:lol:

And Zabaleta for being too far ahead of the play.
sutts07

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 pm

But APART from that Mrs. Lincoln.............how was the play ?

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby johnnyb on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Arthur often frustrates me enormously. Defensively he is often loose in his marking and positioning. In other words he is defensively unreliable. Offensively he often looks threatening when he gets on one of his runs but all to often nothing much comes of them. One goal scored too? In other words he is offensively unproductive most of the time. His main strength seems to me to be his excellent ball control but what use is that if his deficiencies are so prevalent? Unfortunately Cresswell is no great defender either. New left back next summer please.
johnnyb

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 am

new LB and RB needed as zab cant play every game and fredericks looks lost at present.

Arthur as LW might be worth a go
hammerman11

Postby Colours never run on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 am

I have a soft spot for Masuaku when he's bang on it, fully concentrated and flying up the wing, however out of the 2, I'd still prefer to see Cresswell in the side ahead of him at Left Back more often than not. Better defensively than Masuaku, can also get up and down the wing fine, wiser head, quality delivery that's also better (one of the highest assist makers defensively last season iirc?). It's healthy competition which is good to see.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm

CNR

that's like asking how you want to be killed ...

shot or hung

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby stu1 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
You can defend him all you like. He is the last man and MOST culpable. Everyone shares some responsibility, usually the case when any team concedes. But he has to assume the bulk of it.

Agree with this.

Arthur is the player who is a position to affect the play who doesn't.

Rice, Balbuena, Noble and Diop all either track a man or pressurise the ball. Arthur decided to do neither and their free man scored as a result.
stu1

Postby JuniorBilly on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Certainly seems like King Arthur is Pele's choice over Cress. Apart from the pretty appalling play for the Brighton goal last week, I actually think Arthur has been a lot better defensively recently and not as strong going forward. Whether that is a conscious instruction from the manager, but he doesn't seem to be getting forward as much and concentrating more on his defensive duties.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cress shifted in Jan or the Summer and a new LB bought in.
JuniorBilly

Postby richneal on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 pm

No doubt in my mind that Masuaku completely switched off and gave Murray an unmarked chance on goal last week. Not sure why he stayed at the far post instead of tracking Murray - doesn't make sense, especially when he had literally just been directed to shadow Murray. The only thing that crossed my mind was that Masuaku has had a zonal strategy drummed into him and he's focussed on defending the space rather than the man. Just a guess on my part - haven't got a scooby why it happened.

If we keep on making those types of mistakes there is no doubt that opposing coaches will be licking their lips and will be quite happy to target our left back. In his favour Masuaku has a great first touch and is usually quick enough to recover from any glaring mistakes down the wing. Stats tell us he certainly puts enough tackles in each match.

What I don't see this year is his eagerness to run rampant down the touchline all the way to the opposition 18-yard box. Probably instructions from the gaffer. Might be reading too much into this, but I think he looks a touch slower than last year, too.
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Postby westhamerica on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Some of you are mad. Masuaku is miles from Murray when the ball gets turned over, Diop is basically standing next to Murray.

There is only one person at fault in this play, and it's the person who turned the ball over in possession with all but three outfield players in front of him. He was easily dispossessed by a defender even with his back to goal. He tried to step to an attacker instead of tracking the winger knowing full well his fullback was up-field.

Once you do all of that, you create odd numbers and bad matchups everywhere. Balbuena was in no man's land, which left Diop to pick a runner to track. Masuaku has to run half the field AND try and get goal side. Three of the best defenders in the world would have difficulty stopping that play from ending in a goal.

See for yourself:
https://imgur.com/a/5nWRhtt
westhamerica

Postby AlfieG on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Firstly, teams conceed goals like that.

It was not as if the keeper threw it in his own net......

We lost the ball up the field with Zabba past the ball, we let the Brighton player run the whole half and then let him get the cross over (Block it or foul him!)..... Yes we are stretched but as the ball is crossed Arthur just stops?? A proper defender would have been drawn to the ball and be blocking or putting it in row Z.

Their defenders did that every time. They played like their lives depended on it.

Truth is, we need a better left back because Arthur is not a top quality left back.......
AlfieG

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Seems to me like teams are targeting us down the right seeing as Masuaku is apparently at fault for not getting goalside of strikers in the middle after a cross comes in.

Pretty hard to blame Masuaku. He was the last domino to fall but what about all the ones that led to him? Yarmolenko loses the ball, Zabaleta can’t get back, where is Rice when his role is to help the defence? Balbuena in no mans land, Diop leaves their top goal scorer completely unmarked and relies on Masuaku who had too much to do to get goalside of Murray and stop the goal.

People love to blame Arthur, even saying teams will be licking their lips at attacking down our left, how many of our goals conceded have been from a team attacking Arthur?
thejackhammer

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 pm

he tracks the runner then stops. completely.

Yarmo gives up the ball too easily. then everyone is trying to get back.

Noble tries to catch the winger but isn't fast enough. Balbuena goes over to cover Noble - that's his job in this instance. Diop picks up the near post run.

Arthur stops tracking Murray.

Anyone who can't see that isn't watching the same thing I am.

stop making excuses.

even Pellers says we did an awful job marking.

zonal marking really only comes into play at set pieces. you 'can' pass people on to a different zone but we don't zonal defend from what I can see in general. the goal Rashford scored from the corner - Noble lost him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby stu1 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:he tracks the runner then stops. completely..

Exactly.

He got into a position where he could challenge Murray just before the cross comes in and then for some unknown reason he just stops.

Obviously there are other contributing factors, particularly Yarmolenko, but there’s no excuse for Arthur completely stopping.
stu1

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 pm

https://imgur.com/a/5nWRhtt

on top of that,....Rice can't make up the distance and look at the other forward...the one that Diopp ends up "marking"..

he's on the half way line...Masuaku is at least 10 yards in his own half....if his run is more diagonal towards the centre of the goal, he beats anyone there...then it gets into our box, there is no one else in camera shot this side of Masuaku. He never gets goal side of Murray and then to make things worse, he puts the brakes on 8 yards out....

inexplicable. he might not stop Murray from scoring but if he gets closer maybe, just maybe, he puts him off enough to make him miscue, swing and miss, anything....Murray's movement is good and it seems as though Masuaku thinks he's going to keep on going but he comes back and splits both Diopp and Masuaku.

not only is it inexplicable but inexcusable.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Let’s be honest, in no situation should Brighton’s focal point, target man striker be left alone by both centrebacks and our defensive midfielder. Whether or not Masuaku messed up, it should never have been his man.

They’re not Liverpool their forwards aren’t moving across the front line. Murray is their target man, a centreback should have been glued to him.
thejackhammer

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 pm

look at the video again...

I have no idea what Pellers instructions are. but if Zaba is so far ahead of the ball, and the ball where Yarmo is, there is no reason on earth for Masuaku to be that wide. none. but I don't know what Pellers ask them to do and would have to spend untold hours breaking down game film and even then we don't know if his instructions changed for this game.

however........Rice is slightly behind and almost square of Yarmo. the easiest pass for Yarmo to play is to drop it to Rice. there is no one in front of him so he has acres of space to work with.

Zaba should have dropped to make space to receive the ball from Yarmo.

Balbuena is in position to cover Noble and be available for a pass.

Diopp is pressured by their forward.

(all this at 0:12 - stop it here just as Yarmolenko receives the ball).

imvho there is no reason for Masuaku to be this wide. he offers nothing in the attack and as too far out to balance the defence.

they have one player on the h-t line at the centre circle. Masuaku is about 8-10 yards in his own half.

when Yarmolenko loses the ball he does try to get back and press the ball.

Noble almost gets to the ball to get a block in but can't.

Zaba in fact overtakes Yarmo running back but still cannot get back into position.

at 0:04 Balbuena is in a position to also block the cross and is fairly close to a forward but his primary concern is to cut out the cross.

Diopp is moving over to pick up the near post run and at this point Murray is between both Diopp and Masuaku but moving towards Diopp's near post position

at 28:10 of the official game clock - the instagram clock is counting down.

Masuaku is just inside the box.

he continues his run towards Murray but as Murray moves towards Diopp's position he reads the play and comes back. Masuaku stops completely @ 28.12 on the game clock. Murray scores.

now tell me I'm wrong. please.

I'm not.

As I say, I have no clue what Pellers instructions were/are. Does he have his full backs wide ? fine. but when the ball changes hands, everything is pretty well done in the players doing what they can to redeem the situation including Masuaku. Everyone else continues doing what they can - except him.

I re-iterate. inexcusable and inexplicable.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby e17 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 am

Colours never run wrote:I have a soft spot for Masuaku when he's bang on it, fully concentrated and flying up the wing, however out of the 2, I'd still prefer to see Cresswell in the side ahead of him at Left Back more often than not. Better defensively than Masuaku, can also get up and down the wing fine, wiser head, quality delivery that's also better (one of the highest assist makers defensively last season iirc?). It's healthy competition which is good to see.

We’ve had far worse than both. If Masuaku was the defender Cress, or Cress had the ability to beat players that Masuaku does, neither would be at this club. As it is, Masuaku has a couple of brain farts per game, but generally has improved whenever he’s had solid & consistent game time. He’s also always fun to watch in the flesh.

I like him too Colours.
e17

Postby OnePaulHilton on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
now tell me I'm wrong. please.

I'm not.

As I say, I have no clue what Pellers instructions were/are. Does he have his full backs wide ? fine. but when the ball changes hands, everything is pretty well done in the players doing what they can to redeem the situation including Masuaku. Everyone else continues doing what they can - except him.

I re-iterate. inexcusable and inexplicable.

OK you are wrong.

I agree you have no idea what Pellers instructions are though.
Yes yarmalenko should have played it to Rice. Then Masuaka was in the perfect position to make himself available for the attack, as has happened on loads of situations already this season.
Balubena's job is to defend the goal. He put himself in the middle of nowhere.
"Diopp is presurred by their forward" What does that even mean?

Noble almost and Rice almost do their jobs but don't.
So many people nearly, but do not do their jobs but don't, including Masuaka.
Very lazy to blame the last man. I remember having a go at Cresswell loads of times after he was injured because he didn't even put himself in a position to be that last man. That is what I hate. Hiding.
Bottom line for me is, Murray was always going to be their danger man. For neither of the centre backs to be marking him was wrong.
OnePaulHilton

Postby thejackhammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am

Criminal that Murray is left by our 3 central defensive players, including Rice in that. Murray should never have been Masuaku’s man, the fact he was left to him is the problem.

We wouldn’t be angry at Balbuena for going clean through on goal and not finishing because it’s not his game, we’d be wondering why Arnie wasn’t there.
thejackhammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion