Boom boom boom let me hear you say Ayew!

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Boom boom boom let me hear you say Ayew!

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm glad we didn't offload him this summer. He makes things happen. Scores goals and sets them up. We don't have too many who do either let alone both. What's not to like?
DaveWHU1964

Postby fester on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 pm

I think he's sh.t. There - I said it!

I just knew he would get a goal when he came on though. So why do I not rate him? :P
fester
Eats sh*t

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm

fester wrote:I think he's sh.t. There - I said it!

I just knew he would get a goal when he came on though. So why do I not rate him? :P

Because he doesn't seem to be much of anything apart from a goal poacher - definitely knows when to arrive in the box , always looks for a rebound , he has a goal scorer's intelligence - he can't tackle , he doesn't run with the ball much , his ball control lets him down ..a lot , he doesn't seem to have a position in the team , just plays somewhere in the middle ... and pops up with tap ins .
Not ' sh*t per se , just not that great any more .
Not a £20m player that's for sure .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 am

He simply finds the spaces to exploit. He doesn't get involved in tussles for the ball that aren't necessary and as soon as someone comes close to him, he moves away again so it allows him space to attack the loose balls. Sounds easy, but you have to be sharp to re position yourself and be fully aware of your surroundings as the space can be occupied in a flash at this level. Quick in mind and body which is why he often ghosts in to goal scoring positions for what seem like piss easy tap ins. He has high footballing intelligence and it showed instantly when he came on and made things happen.

Even though he struggled back from a long term injury last season and wasn't 100% even when he did return, I'd be intrigued to know his goals to minutes ratio from now to the beginning of last season.. and even better the assists he's contributed too as well as the goals.

I think he's worth what Hernandez cost us this summer which isn't a million miles away for what we paid. He's not worth less than £15m in today's market for what he offers, no way.

His best position is definitely where he played last night.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

Is the definition of a 'poacher' aka 'fox in the box' some little bloke who appears to do feck all but regularly pops up with tap ins, ricochets and second chances? The fact he appears to drift for the rest of the time is perhaps a part of his craft? That or he's ****...

I don't think he does really make things happen, but he does seem to have the knack of being on the end of things that have happened.

I agree he should play tight to AC/Sakho and not wide. Bilic called it right having him as sub for Hernandez and I think that's his role.
Doc H Ball

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 am

whatever he is, he's been our most reliable goalscorer for minutes played since christmas.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
I don't think he does really make things happen

He scores goals regularly and makes assists too. Can't get more 'makey' than that. 8-)
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 am

Colours never run wrote:
He scores goals regularly and makes assists too. Can't get more 'makey' than that. 8-)

'Making things happen' is pre goal.

Has he got a high number of assists? If so then yes I'm missing something.

Still think he only comes alive in the 6 yard box, but that's fine for a 2nd striker.
Doc H Ball

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Sure but players can also make goals for themself out of nothing as well. No one was putting it on a plate for him last night. He just made sure he was in the right place to score it. And I think he's set up a few now in all competitions during the past half a season or so.

Remember, he's not had a proper full season with us yet uninterrupted so what we've seen thus far isn't all he can offer either.

Away from the goals and assists, I've often found him to be a really hard worker too working away tracking back helping out and generally involved in play even if moves don't come to much. I also get the impression he's a senior Pro that others listen too and respect who calls on a wealth of experience. I think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for.

On a more wider observation, I truly believe we have an excellent selection of Forwards at the Club now to call upon at any given time.

Ayew
Antonio
Arnautovic
Carroll
Hernandez
Sakho
And possibly Martinez

Best we've had it in a long time. The Curbs years was the last time we had quality similar to a lot of that.
Colours never run

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am

Ayew is a quality player who has not fulfilled his potential. He is a good sub for us with a goal in him. 20m is peanuts nowadays and gald we kept him. You need more than a good first eleven these days.
puts a shift in and pops up with a goal along the way. superb sub.

time to support our players.
hammerman11

Postby fjthegrey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

He's a more agile and versatile Kevin Nolan.

General play - average, unremarkable, often quite poor.

Stats that matter - well above average, reliable contribution.

He'll never play for a bigger or better club than ours due to his general play, but he'll always have a role in good sides thanks to his statistical contribution.
fjthegrey

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

7 goals in 29 apps for us.

I expect more for 20m though. This could be his season.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby k-r-c on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 am

LincolnshireHammer wrote:7 goals in 29 apps for us.

I expect more for 20m though. This could be his season.

Really? With the prices of today?

1695 minutes played. Goal every 242 minutes. Alot of them are sub appearances too.

So a goal every 2.75 games roughly. Dont think thats a bad return from someone who's not an out and out striker.

Apart from the bizarre misses in a game last season he seems to find himself in the right place at the right time when needed.
k-r-c

Postby 'stone hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 am

As others have said, his general play is pretty average. First thing he did when he came on and got the ball was give it away. Nonetheless you can't argue with his positioning for scoring goals, and he's someone, like Hernandez, worth having purely for that reason.

I'll give him plenty of credit for his defensive work rate though, he's a grafter.
'stone hammer

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

LincolnshireHammer wrote:7 goals in 29 apps for us.

It's 8 goals. And 3 assists (not counting the Obiang pass on Monday). Eleven goals provided in 1.797 minutes of football - one goal per 163 minutes or so.
YorksHammer

Postby mike1961 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

If he carries on scoring tap ins, that's OK with me. Didn't they say Gary Lineker (golden boot in Mexico) scored all his goals in the 6 yard box? You need all sorts of players and we now have a decent mix of forwards for the first time in a long time.
mike1961

Postby Irrons on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Ayew regularly scores and assists for us (even with limited game time) and has throughout his career. What more can you ask for from a second striker/attacking mid? :lol:

Ficklely ficklers.
Irrons

Postby Lil Joe 17 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Irrons wrote:Ayew regularly scores and assists for us (even with limited game time) and has throughout his career. What more can you ask for from a second striker/attacking mid? :lol:

Ficklely ficklers.

I swear a lot of West Ham fans just pick an opinion of a player within 5 minutes based on nothing at all and find it so hard to change that view.
Lil Joe 17

Postby Turns to Stone on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 pm

He's the new Kevin Nolan.

No-one can work out why he's on the pitch, but he always seems to do something good when he is on the pitch.

I do actually rate him and think that he and Antonio could build up a really good partnership.

The team does actually look at it's most solid in a 3-4-3. This basically means we have only 3 positions to fit Lanzini, Hernandez, Ayew, Carroll, Antonio, Arnautovic, Sakho into. I do think that Ayew is definitely in the top 4 of those players though.
Turns to Stone

Postby davids cross on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm

"He's useless. Doesn't do nearly enough to earn a place in the side. £20 m ?....really. Does a few nice things. Some technical ability, but slow and misplaces passes too much".

That's my view during a match ^^^

Then....

He scores.

"I'm glad we got him. Always likely to nick a goal. Makes something happen. A decent buy".

And that's my view at the end of the match ^^^

davids cross

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion