Boom boom boom let me hear you say Ayew!

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Boom boom boom let me hear you say Ayew!

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Having a very successful pro as a Dad will mean he has grown has grown up around football and footballers, and you can tell this from the way he plays

He is an extremely intelligent player - he is one of the only players we have who is able to link one third of the field to another. You often see him dropping deep to find space, like he did in the build up to our first goal, and then next minute he is in the box snaffling up chances. This is a sign of an intelligent player who has very honed positional awareness. He doesn't just run around aimlessly, but every move he makes has a purpose

He also has a strong mentality. He is always talking on the pitch, and trying to lift the other players, again something that will come from growing up around successful professional footballers
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Nesticles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Has had a tough time of it, the injury last year didn't help. Seems to have found himself as an easy target for a bit of stick.

Prefer him to start in that wide left role for now over Arnautovic, who still has loads to prove
Nesticles

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm

'The new Kevin Nolan' is a good comparison. Doesnt seem to do a great deal on the pitch then all of a sudden he's put the ball in the net. i'm not sure what you're doing Andre but keep doing it!
Cockneyboy311

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

not sure old nobby had it in his locker to make an assist like ayew's for feghouli at turf moor last season.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Hamburger on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:'The new Kevin Nolan' is a good comparison. Doesnt seem to do a great deal on the pitch then all of a sudden he's put the ball in the net. i'm not sure what you're doing Andre but keep doing it!

Yes runs around like a headless chicken then boom, right place right time. Seems to like finding space, I wish he'd be a bit more physical and get stuck in like Antonio. Still I hope he is finding his place at last, there is no doubt he has talent just frustratingly inconsistent.

I will repeat, I don't know why Bilic bought Arnie when he has plenty of options out left. Apart from Ayew it's Antonio's preferred position, although he's fine out right, and we've got Holland too. A right winger would have been a better option as cover for Antonio, Jota maybe at half the price.
Hamburger

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm

If Nolan had Ayew's talent he would have been one hell of a player.
Mega Ron

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:not sure old nobby had it in his locker to make an assist like ayew's for feghouli at turf moor last season.

I was just about to say something similar. Ayew is leaps and bounds ahead of Nolan in terms of technical ability.
YorksHammer

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Ayew is sometimes lethal from one metre in front of an open goal.
The Old Mile End

Postby Topbre_22 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

He's an odd one. I remember him causing us havoc out on the wing. Now he seems to have changed into a deep/arriving late striker.
I hope he doesnt become our new boa morte.
He pops up with goals so that'll do me.
Topbre_22

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Hamburger wrote:
Yes runs around like a headless chicken then boom, right place right time. Seems to like finding space, I wish he'd be a bit more physical and get stuck in like Antonio. Still I hope he is finding his place at last, there is no doubt he has talent just frustratingly inconsistent.

Running round like a headless chicken is the exact opposite of what he does. You can tell he thinks about where he is going to go, not just hares off for the sake of it (similar to Nolan in that respect)

You need different types of players in a team. Antonio is all about pace and power and plays on impulse, Ayew more considered in his approach.

He may not have the pace and strength of Antonio, or the skills with the ball of Arnoutivic and Lanzini but Ayew has greater positional sense and footballing intelligence than all of them and these are under-valued skill sets in attacking players simply because they are less obvious and not as 'flashy'
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

On the plus side, he has an instinct for scoring and works hard pressing high up the pitch.

He does seem to have a decent footballing brain too.

On the negative, he runs like Jackie Chan and frequently gets the ball stuck under his legs when trying to control, or when he's running with the ball.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Every word of that, Crouchend.

All Lineker used to do was score goals too.. it's all about footballing intelligence to be in the right place at the right time to either score or miss them. His biggest issue since arriving, has been getting over a bad thigh injury for almost half a season. Other than that, can't see a great deal wrong with him. Sharpen up a touch more in front of goal (not forgotten THAT miss just yet) but that comes with playing more regularly, something he's not had the luxury of really doing yet as it's been so stop, start in and out the side.

The other side to his game I like that he doesn't get more credit for is working hard for the team tracking back. I've occasionally noticed him helping out the full back or midfield to retrieve the ball back and ain't affraid to put a shift in.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:On the negative, he runs like Jackie Chan and frequently gets the ball stuck under his legs when trying to control, or when he's running with the ball.

I also think that's true. He can be a bit clumsy in possession.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Scratchy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I just think he's a good player without any caveats. Hasn't really had a prolonged spell but has still been effective. He's more than good enough to be a squad player at West Ham and I have no idea why some of our "fans" have made into a whipping boy.
Scratchy

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Fans get hung up on price tags too much that's why. Whilst I'd agree he isn't quite worth what we paid, it doesn't mean he isn't a decent player. People think that if he ain't worth the price, he must be **** when that's patently b*llocks.
Colours never run

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Our very own fox in the box.

Tap ins from a yard and being in the right place at the right time is something that cannot be taught. Not since Cottee have we had a player like that IMO.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Aye and Hernandez is even better at it.

The goals will come and the least of our worries these days. All about keeping it tight at the back and so far so good with oir long awaited clean sheet, now to keep on top of it as mucb as possible then everything else falls into place.

What some Clubs woukd give for our current crop of Forwards. :o
Colours never run

Postby umweb on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

i've said it before, i really like him as a player and i think we're lucky to have him. he's the perfect player for a club our size. he was a straight swap upgrade on valencia and can fill in for any position up front protecting us from the injuries we will most certainly have.

he gets a bad rap on here for his price tag as it's constantly used as a stick to beat the owners with... but it's time for people to move on and start supporting him. the moneys been paid and for the same price we most likely cannot replace his goals/assists. he seems like a real team player, plays with passion, great goal celebrations and doesn't complain about being on the bench or starting in whatever position. really happy for him on monday.
umweb

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 pm

umweb wrote:i've said it before, i really like him as a player and i think we're lucky to have him. he's the perfect player for a club our size. he was a straight swap upgrade on valencia and can fill in for any position up front protecting us from the injuries we will most certainly have.

he gets a bad rap on here for his price tag as it's constantly used as a stick to beat the owners with... but it's time for people to move on and start supporting him. the moneys been paid and for the same price we most likely cannot replace his goals/assists. he seems like a real team player, plays with passion, great goal celebrations and doesn't complain about being on the bench or starting in whatever position. really happy for him on monday.

All our record signings get stick for the price tag

We always expect because they are our record they need to be world class but in relation to the rest of the league it's bearly any money

Arnie this year
Ayew last year
Carroll since he signed
mumbles87

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm

GSB

I work on season to season. Just as I wouldn't take into account the Boleyn season at the start of the last one. Different set of players, circumstances, I don't pay too much to this "18 months" malarkey as nothing is won or lost during that time.
Colours never run

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion