Refereeing Decisions 2016/17

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Refereeing Decisions 2016/17

Postby Faliraki Hammer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:36 am

Let me start by saying that I think we were 2nd best tonight and on balance it was probably a fair result but what really bugs me is the Costa scores the winner despite the fact that he should have been booked 3 times before his goal. Can anyone explain to me how the tackle on Adrian was not a booking?

I don't wear tin foil on my head or believe in conspiracies but surely we can't have another season of poor decisions being made against us, can we?
Faliraki Hammer

Re: Refereeing Decisions 2016/17

Postby stu1 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 am

How far away from Costa was the ref when he made the tackle? I don't think the ref or linesman were particularly close to see the full extent of the tackle. I do think he should of been sent off, but it wasn't a glaring error by the referee from the view he had.
stu1

Postby kayahammer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:11 am

It was late no matter what. He clearly goes for Adrian as the ball was already gone.

:fsake:
kayahammer

Postby Bergen Hammer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:12 am

Actually think introducing a tennis style challenge system would improve the game. Two challenges each half to each team, 4th official doing the technical stuff and show the incident on the big screen. Fed up.
Bergen Hammer

Postby Westhamway on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am

Also, Kante hacked Payet down in about the 80th min, again already on a booking. It was a challenge that he would have been booked for in the first half so why is it not when he is already on a yellow in the second? Chelsea were much better than us and a point would have been robbery but these decisions are always overlooked against the mid table sides vs the bigger sides. If it was Man Utd Chelsea for example we'd have seen a second yellow there
Westhamway

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:29 am

Different day, some old ****. Don't expect it to greatly change anytime soon either and almost have to equate for that before games and half expect decisions to go against us. That way it won't hopefully hurt as much.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Costa should have seen red with plenty of the game remaining. Bottled it.

Thing that kissed me off more was Costa knew it too but frantically trying to be seen as apologising to Adrian and the Red not to rightly punish him already knowing he's on a yellow.
Last edited by Colours never run on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Yea Why Not on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:30 am

On another day they would have had a penalty in the first half from Reid when Noble lost possession on the edge of our box. If they'd have scored at that point it could have been a long night considering how poorly we were retaining the ball
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby szola on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:30 am

The tackle on Adrian could have been a yellow, no qualms about not being given.
Reid's push on Oscar could've been a penalty, so I'd call it even.
szola

Postby beckton on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:32 am

I couldn't handle watching the post match analysis on Sky last night and switched it off. But I saw on SSN this morning both Neville and Carragher saying that Costa should have got a straight red card.
beckton

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 am

Yea Why Not wrote:On another day they would have had a penalty in the first half from Reid when Noble lost possession on the edge of our box. If they'd have scored at that point it could have been a long night considering how poorly we were retaining the ball

Not necessarily. We did concede a goal early in the 2ns half yet still managed to get back in to the game and compete fine.

I also think that had he given that for a Penalty it would have been really soft. He made minimal contact that brushed him more than anything, not a significant tug back or the sort and Oscar was clearly looking for it on the way down anyway. It was a close decision though.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Tristan Shout on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:20 am

Chelsea could argue that they could have had two penalties, Oscar went down very easily and theatrically but I have seen similar given, also there was a handball in the box where our player knocked the ball away with his elbow, again I have seen these given but the box was crowded so can also see how it was missed.
Kante could have got a 2nd yellow but it wasn't the worst challenge in the world and as he had already had a yellow for his first offence I can see why the ref showed a bit of leniency and gave him a last warning instead of the card, good refereeing for me, you could argue over those decisions being right or wrong and nobody would be right as that's down to the referees interpretation of the incidents with one look at real time without the benefit of slow motion replays from every angle.
But Costa !!!
Dissent to the referee - yellow card -correct decision
The tackle on Adrian - was it dangerous - yes, was he out of control - yes, was it off the ball - yes, could he have severely injured his opponent - yes,
Should be a straight red and at the very minimum a 2nd yellow, wrong decision
Simulation or to give it its correct name diving or cheating - automatic yellow card, wrong decision
Over celebrating, taking off shirt or going into the crowd - automatic yellow card, wrong decision
Did this alter the outcome of the match - yes,
What will happen to Antony Taylor - nothing
We have been robbed of a point whether it was deserved or not,
Chelsea have been gifted two points whether they did enough to deserve more or not
Chelsea will have the services of Costa in their next 1-3 matches when he should rightfully be banned
I would put this match down as one point stolen from us, and two given to Chelsea, lets see how it adds up over a season,
I honestly believe it cost us Champions league last season
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby stu1 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 am

szola wrote:The tackle on Adrian could have been a yellow, no qualms about not being given.
Reid's push on Oscar could've been a penalty, so I'd call it even.

This.

Let's not embarrass ourselves by blaming the referee for losing last night. We were **** and got exactly what we deserved, which was nothing.
stu1

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:37 am

He brushed him, hardly a push. Oscar was clearly looking for any contact to go down. The Ref called it spot on regardless of who was playing. In fact I liken the fall by Oscar very much to the one that Noble makes when he embarrassingly needlessly loses possession to him just prior to the incident and the Ref quite rightly waves both away and allows play to continue.

https://youtu.be/AhgssuS7pHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run

Postby Faliraki Hammer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 am

People on here always say "let's not embarrass ourselves by arguing about decisions" and "they even themselves out over the season," they don't. The ref bottled the big decisions last night and did not do his job. If it is right that Chelsea should have got a penalty then that doesn't vindicate the ref, it means he actually got even more wrong. I can think of so many poor decisions last year and the stats showed that we got the worst and most crucial decisions go against us last year. This season will be the same because the refs are a) **** and b) too scared to give decisions against the big teams (especially at home).
Faliraki Hammer

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 am

Exactly that, Faliraki.
Colours never run

Postby andersonm2 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:02 am

While I applaud the FA for the introduction of the new rules, what is the point of them if normal bookings will then go unpunished due to the player being on a yellow for dissent/touching ref/abusive language etc.

Yes we played poorly but Chelsea had only managed to score once before refereeing decisions changed the game.

Costa should have been sent off, will any retrospective action happen who knows. Personally thought he should have been booked for his dive but that is another story.
andersonm2

Postby Tristan Shout on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:03 am

You are correct falaraki,
"let's not embarrass ourselves by blaming the referees when we deserved nothing from the game"
Whether we deserved anything from the game or not has absolutely nothing to do with the wrong decisions from the referees,
If we play a team and hit the post twice, the keeper makes three wonder saves then the opposition counter and score a deflected goal against the run of play with their only shot on target, is that fair? Did we deserve more? No but that's the game,
If the ref makes a blatantly wrong decision then that isn't fair and we do have a right to be aggrieved and can blame him
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby sendô on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 am

We lost because we were ****, no argument there.

However Kante definitely should have had a second yellow. A clear scissor tackle that wiped Payet out right in front of the ref whilst on a yellow. The ref botttled it and he knows it.

The Costa one was 50/50, he's entitled to go for the ball after Adrian ****ed up. It was a strikers tackle, but a yellow would have been harsh, and it certainly didn't warrant a red.

The Reid push on Oscar wasn't a pen, the little turd threw himself to the ground when he realised he'd overhit the ball.

The other one was a clear pen.
sendô

Postby fmgod on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 am

Kante and Costa should've of been off and Oscar should've of been booked for diving, he didn't stop jumping on the floor.
fmgod

Postby Brixton Hammer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:44 am

fmgod wrote:Kante and Costa should've of been off and Oscar should've of been booked for diving, he didn't stop jumping on the floor.

I agree with this - I thought Oscar's was a pen, but if you don't give it, it was a dive. But we were poor. couldn't understand taking Antonio off - swap him for Valencia!
Brixton Hammer

Next

Return to General Discussion