The Sam Byram thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Sam Byram thread

Postby fmgod on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 am

Develop? He's 24 and played over 100 games of first team football, I don't think he will change much.
fmgod

Postby His legs have gone on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 am

MB wrote:The point is they will stick nine men behind the ball so three at the back is pointless. I'd rather have a spare player in their half than ours.

Yes three at the back has served us well in the last couple of games, but we still need to adapt to what is put in front of us.

Hopefully at that point one of the back 3, probably Rice or Kouyate depending on which one is CB (although i imagine Fonte can play the role well) will push on and be a deeper CM whilst two stay back. Kouyate's athleticism really favours that role too
His legs have gone

Postby MB on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 pm

His legs have gone wrote:
Hopefully at that point one of the back 3, probably Rice or Kouyate depending on which one is CB (although i imagine Fonte can play the role well) will push on and be a deeper CM whilst two stay back. Kouyate's athleticism really favours that role too

At which point you have a defender playing the role a midfielder could be.

Three at the back offers no tactical advantage against a side with no intention of attacking. The only reason to do it is for consistency which makes no sense if we, probably, make six changes to the starting XI.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

I feel a bit sorry for this bloke.

I don't think he's a good enough RB for this level, but he might do well with Zabaleta behind in a 3. That frees up Antonio to play in direct attack.

Just like Arthur on the other side, maybe our misfits make for a better shape than our record signings?

......Zabaleta

Byram........................................Masuaku

..............Antonio
Doc H Ball

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm

At half time yesterday Cresswell and Noble came out first and started pinging balls at each other across the pitch..couple of minutes later Byram emerges with his own ball and jogs across the pitch with his ball next to Noble and Cresswell ....but they didn't get him to join in. They then started playing a game where they stood with their legs open and tried to kick it through each other's legs from almost the other side of the pitch. Still Sam jogged next to them all alone with no one to play with...

Don't know why but made me chuckle - it was like a little boy trying to get his big brothers to let him play.
hammer1975

Postby Jumby on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:31 pm

He'll be decent next season, in the Championship.
Jumby

Postby Westbourne Bill on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Well he'll play Wednesday no doubt, then again when Zab gets his next booking his 5th which will get a 1 game ban.
Westbourne Bill

Postby hammerman11 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 am

Time to step up and stake a claim. Zaba has been great but is showing signs of wear and tear and needs a rest.

spurs on weds he will be rested and sam will play.
zab will get booked soon so he will start then.
also when we have midweek games byram should play giving zab a game a week is a way of preserving him longer.

24 and no longer a pospect needs to be supported.
hammerman11

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 am

Has he died or something? I can't think of another reason why he's not playing as I've concluded that Zabaleta, for all his sterling qualities, is generally not standing in the correct place when you think to yourself, "Mmmmm. What do we need now? Yes, I know! A ****ing right back!"
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby simonpaulthomas on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 am

He’s out injured with a ruptured thigh muscle right now - due back within the next week or so from a quick look online.
simonpaulthomas

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:03 pm

need him to give zaba a rest. the only alternative is to play Fernandez there .
hammerman11

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:15 pm

bet hes quicker than zab even with a ruptured thigh muscle
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Irrons on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:33 pm

When is Byram back? He was only supposed to be out for a few weeks. We need him back so that Pablo 'Grandad' Zabaleta can retire
Irrons

Postby Colours never run on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Miss him a lot. Was a big fan of his when I first saw him play for us and really came on leaps and bounds end of last season when we needed it and desperately want to see his high energy, stamina and pace flying up and down the win again. Zabaleta has been struggling big time although always a trier with a great attitude, its not enough though.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Jumby on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm

fmgod wrote:Develop? He's 24 and played over 100 games of first team football, I don't think he will change much.

I know this is from a while back, and you are a decent contributer on here, but I have to disagree. Players, especially defenders, improve with age and experience. I always thought Puyol looked like a joke of a player in his early twenties but he improved loads by the time he was nearly thirty. I think Moyes could do a very good job with Sam Byram, just like he did with Seamus Coleman.
Jumby

Postby Suicyde on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Lucky to chat with him at the Chelsea game, said 3/4 weeks. Lovely lad.
Suicyde

Postby rciron on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Bring him in and let Moyes give him the final push he needs, like CNR says he was awesome end of last season with blistering runs down the right and into the box.
rciron

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

I think we'd generally see a perfect foil to Masuaku with Byram at right wing back. At Leeds he was very successful at flying forward.
HammerMan2004

Postby only1post on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Got an hour tonight for the U23's.
only1post

Postby MB on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm

only1post wrote:Got an hour tonight for the U23's.

Good to hear.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion