The Sam Byram thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Sam Byram thread

Postby westlondonhammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Lets hope he is fit enough for the cup game... he'll be a certain starter if so

I'm not going to say it too loud, but in my view he could thrive under Moyes in our current set up
westlondonhammer

Postby rciron on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 am

westlondonhammer wrote:Lets hope he is fit enough for the cup game... he'll be a certain starter if so

I'm not going to say it too loud, but in my view he could thrive under Moyes in our current set up

:thup:
rciron

Postby Jumby on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 am

Glad he's back fit and in the picture, I think Moyes could do some very good work with Sam.
Jumby

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am

For someone who will never be good enough for the premier league I thought he looks good last night. The boy needs a run of games. I like him. Abit headless sometimes, he'll learn lots from Zaba.
StackerJJ

Postby fmgod on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am

westlondonhammer wrote:I'm not going to say it too loud, but in my view he could thrive under Moyes in our current set up

I think that's part of the problem though with a manager who is good at the defensive side like Sam, Moyes etc, some players look far better than they actually are due to the solid system
fmgod

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 am

I still think he's got enough about him to get good. He does need a run of games though.
HammerMan2004

Postby Hockley Hammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 am

I like him.

Makes the odd howler but I like his effort and enthusiasm. Should be told to work on his game with Zaba,

Good seeing Noble talking to him all through the game.

I think Noble has really come on as a captain in the last year.
Hockley Hammer

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 am

Some of his stats from last nights game:

6 successful tackles - highest amount in the team.
5 interceptions - highest in the team.
3 headers won - joint second highest.
79 touches - highest in the team.
37 attempted passes (26 successful) - second highest in the team.

Yes, he has a few weakness, but he's also a good defender and he does a lot of good work. I've always rated him and think he should get a good run in that position now. Zabaleta would be far better used as a defensive midfielder.

For comparison Cresswell made 0 tackles and 1 interception during the game.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:Some of his stats from last nights game:

6 successful tackles - highest amount in the team.
5 interceptions - highest in the team.
3 headers won - joint second highest.
79 touches - highest in the team.
37 attempted passes (26 successful) - second highest in the team.

Yes, he has a few weakness, but he's also a good defender and he does a lot of good work. I've always rated him and think he should get a good run in that position now. Zabaleta would be far better used as a defensive midfielder.

For comparison Cresswell made 0 tackles and 1 interception during the game.

Cheers BH, solid stats there. Work on his final ball and he'll prove useful moving forward. Its nice to have him back.
StackerJJ

Postby Thedogsbilic on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 am

Gives 100% every game, always going to pick up cards but expected with the amount of challenges he makes, will be excellent as a regular wing back with his energy up and down the right flank,
Thedogsbilic

Postby Knighter10WHU on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am

Good stuff on this thread this morning, really pleased to see him have a good game. Unfortunately, RWB doesn't really suit Zabaleta's ageing legs anymore (he would probably be fine at RB) whereas it should in theory really suit Byram's game. I hope he can stay injury and suspension free and make the position his own long term as that would solve a big problem area in our squad in recent years.
Knighter10WHU

Postby simon1982 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am

Big fan of byram. Hopefully he stays fit. You can see he is hungry and desperate to do well. We also looked much more balanced with him at rwb where he was able to get us up the pitch
simon1982

Postby Billy Hunt on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

One of his better games last night, he put a lot in to it and was shattered for the final 10.

He put a couple of decent balls in to the box too, which is an area he has really needed to improve on enormously.
Billy Hunt

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm

I like him a lot, always have done since his Leeds days and think he just needs a run in the team. He is better than Zabaleta as a wing back as he has the stamina for it.

His yellow cards frustrate me though as i mentioned in the match thread. His card tally is mainly pointless fails through frustration. I accept yellow cards when you break up play and have to bring someone down but yesterday was typical of Byram, pulling a player down that's attempting to dribble out of trouble from near enough their own box and he leaves himself vulnerable for the rest of the game.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby hadleighhammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Not sure on him as a RB, but he looks good as a RWB.

If we go back to playing 4 at the back I'm not sure he fits but for the moment I'd happily have him at RB with Zab behind him as the right side of 3 CBs.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Thought he was excellent last night

that booking he picked up was such a clever foul.. Zaha was defo going to set them on the counter.. who knows they could have scored from it

played very well indeed

prefer him at RWB to Zabs.. with Zabs in DM covering for byram it was actually perfect at times

really impressed
mumbles87

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm

I think people may not remember that Byram played wingback or even on the right of the front three at Leeds at times. Right back in a four doesn't suit him at all. He was compared to Gareth Bale back in the day :lol:
HammerMan2004

Postby sutts07 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Still a bit keen/green for me but certainly looks promising as a wing back.

Threw himself in a few too many times last night where he could/should have stayed on his feet and he gets caught out of position a lot leaving him with ground to make up which in turn, leads to rash challenges.

All of that will be corrected with experience and games under his belt of course, and to be fair, virtually the whole game was played down his side last night as Palace looked to hit Zaha with almost every attack.

He is approaching an age where he can no longer be considered a kid though so needs to learn fast. This is a harsh industry. Admittedly he still has three years on the likes of Rose, Walker and Tripper (a decade on Zabaleta) and having players such as Collins and Zabaleta around him every day along with coaches like Moyes and Pearce should really help to bring him along as a pro.

Very good to have him back in the squad.
sutts07

Postby miles on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:For comparison Cresswell made 0 tackles and 1 interception during the game.

:D
miles
This site...

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:For comparison Cresswell made 0 tackles and 1 interception during the game.

defo needs replacing soon.. he has lost his way since his england call up
mumbles87

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion