The Sam Byram thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The Sam Byram thread

Postby Ozza on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:48 pm

The bloke doesn't seem to have a thread apart from a sweepstake about him getting a card.

Loved by the Leeds fans according to my Leeds mate who called him a no nonsense rb / rwb

Got to say from what I've seen he looks the part, good with ball a feet and decent positional sense, hopefully our rb for the foreseeable, needs some backup not sure I agree that he should be sitting on the subs bench watching someone else as others have called out
Last edited by Ozza on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza

Re: The Sam byram thread

Postby Kubrickhammer on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:52 pm

He looks good but doesn't look as polished as Cresswell was when we first signed him from Ipswich. There's just that slight worry he would make a mess of things defensively now and then. However, I've always wanted him to be our starting RB and he seems to be playing well this season.
Kubrickhammer

Postby HammerMan2004 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm

I think by the end of this season we'll be saying he'll be our right back for 5-6 years.
HammerMan2004

Postby Kialos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 am

I like him both as a player and person. I think he is still a little raw to be starting week in week out at PL level. I would like a competent RB on the bench (not Antonio!) so that if there are any suspensions / losses of form we still have adequate cover.
Kialos

Postby stu1 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 am

I think he looks good, he's accomplished on the ball and is decent in one on ones.

Despite his encouraging performances so far this season, I see a lot of people critising him for being 'a red card waiting to happen' and suggesting we need a first choice right back because of this.
I think this is harsh, his discipline hasn't cost us yet and until it does (assuming it eventually does) he deserves to be first choice currently.
stu1

Postby Lee_WHU on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:31 am

Make no bones about it, he IS a walking foul but I don't want another first choice RB in because of that. I want another back up RB in because of it though!

He's slowly coming into his own, more assured this season so far and will only get better with a string of games I'm sure :thup:
Lee_WHU

Postby kalashnikov on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 am

If we persist playing him every week by the end of the season he'll have the position on lockdown.

We have to bear with him though - he will make mistakes.
kalashnikov

Postby wasserburg_hammer on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 am

The good man should learn how to head a ball.
wasserburg_hammer

Postby Thedogsbilic on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 am

Byram reminds me of Dicksy when he goes in on them crunching tackles, he's bound to get cards playing like that but we don't want to be known as a soft touch in defence, like the lad a lot and hope he continues at right back, the more game time he gets the better he will be.
Thedogsbilic

Postby -DL- on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 am

My take on Byram is that he has what it takes to become a very good right back. Rather than see him dropped and replaced by an incoming right back (That's not to say we don't need another one) I think after the international break we should persevere and stick with him and he gets more game time under his belt. It's not a particularly difficult run of fixtures on the face of it, so what better time to blood him in properly? He will only improve if he plays regularly.

We still need another RB though, without a shadow of a doubt.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Ozza on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:54 am

-DL- wrote:My take on Byram is that he has what it takes to become a very good right back. Rather than see him dropped and replaced by an incoming right back (That's not to say we don't need another one) I think after the international break we should persevere and stick with him and he gets more game time under his belt. It's not a particularly difficult run of fixtures on the face of it, so what better time to blood him in properly? He will only improve if he plays regularly.

We still need another RB though, without a shadow of a doubt.

Exactly where I am about it all
Ozza

Postby miketheloop on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am

Yeah I really like him, he will improve and I think given a chance he could be a great right back for us.
miketheloop

Postby Andy.C on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:00 am

He just needs to find an extra half yard to put in and have more confidence to put in that deadly Creswell type cross.
Andy.C

Postby szola on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:22 am

A very decent player, who is still learning.

We should sign another type of fullback, someone who is more comfortable on the ball going forward, and can spot a pass vertically. A young Demelish type.
szola

Postby rciron on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:35 am

Kialos wrote:I like him both as a player and person. I think he is still a little raw to be starting week in week out at PL level. I would like a competent RB on the bench (not Antonio!) so that if there are any suspensions / losses of form we still have adequate cover.

:thup:
rciron

Postby jaybs on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:37 am

Have no doubts about Byram, I can see him really settling and developing well with us.
jaybs

Postby Jabsco79 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 pm

-DL- wrote:My take on Byram is that he has what it takes to become a very good right back. Rather than see him dropped and replaced by an incoming right back (That's not to say we don't need another one) I think after the international break we should persevere and stick with him and he gets more game time under his belt. It's not a particularly difficult run of fixtures on the face of it, so what better time to blood him in properly? He will only improve if he plays regularly.

Spot on. He's got something about him and deserves a chance.
Jabsco79

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 am

He has excellent technique - in that respect he reminds me of the likes of Gary Charles - the decent player Forest had, not the washed up waster who turned out for us. And I can see the logic of giving him game time to bed him in - that would be a clincher regarding his merits one way or the other.

However it's clear that Bilic is not convinced by him. Even after the debacle of Antonio at right back one glimpse at the team sheet at 3pm on Sunday reiterates that. Maybe, maybe, maybe Bilic will be won around in the same way as he was by Antonio last season. Maybe not. Jinxed says we're in for four right backs. I wouldn't be too surprised if they're first choice right backs rather than just cover.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 am

If Bilic isn't keen on him, I reckon it's more to do with his attacking play than defensive play. I personally think he's a decent defender but he could do with getting a few more crosses in. We're far too reliant on the left hand side when Cresswell is fit. Almost all of our good crosses came from Cresswell and Payet last season. Antonio benefits from this in terms of goals but doesn't whip enough decent balls into the box himself, and neither does Byram. Moses or Emineke didn't either.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 am

I've never really understood the mass panic for a new RB as we've always had one since January and I've had faith in him from the start ever since I saw him come on mid game against Man City. And ironically enough he's done the same again and still doesn't look out of place at Right Back or in a 352 playing for us in the Prem. He's had over half a year now to settle in to the team and his surroundings. Yes, there will be games when he's not quite on it due to a bit of inexperience at the top level but in the main I expect him to play well for us. He reminds me a lot of when Cresswell first arrived and I see a natural progression in him to keep learning and doing well. I know one thing, it's certainly night and day between him and Antonio at Right Back.

The icing on the cake would be to find right back cover for him so to take into account injuries or suspensions he may incur.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Next

Return to General Discussion