Taxi for Karren ? Is one due ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Taxi for Karren ? Is one due ?

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Broadly speaking she's done a great job for the only two people who matter to her at the club - those who pay her wages.

I qualify that by using 'broadly' because I think the "we had a meeting, we didn't have a meeting" stuff pre-ceding the threats to this club's supporters is the sort of all over the place, implausible denial stuff more often than not caused by the panic of knowing you've screwed up and the repercussions will be significant unless they can be hushed up.

That's not to say that that's what happened here of course. But it is strange that initially the club reported meeting some fans and then denied it. I'm sure that's all perfectly innocent - it's just unfortunate that that's not the way it could look to some. Of course if there was anything in it and it came out then it's a career ender.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Up the Junction wrote:is a long way from the empowering women in the workplace image she now wants to promote.

A good example of the above. During the last meeting KB was asked how she could justify working for a tabloid newspaper that less than 30 years ago regularly published photographs of semi-naked 16-year-old girls.

The VC argued that it was a long time ago and therefore not relevant in 2018. Like I said, one may not always agree with the response...

In fairness boss, wasn't it about 3 years ago that they stopped page 3? I thought KB had her column at the same time?
Hampshire Hammer

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Hampshire Hammer wrote:In fairness boss, wasn't it about 3 years ago that they stopped page 3? I thought KB had her column at the same time?

Sorry, no idea HH - it must be at least ten years since I purchased a copy of The Sun.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Mr_Skid on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Great timing here from the Baroness!!!

https://twitter.com/karren_brady/status ... 2643602432
Mr_Skid

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Get her priorities in order, then.
DasNutNock

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am

Mr_Skid wrote:Great timing here from the Baroness!!!

https://twitter.com/karren_brady/status ... 2643602432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This right here sums up her involvement in the club
Graza

Postby bracknellhammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 am

https://twitter.com/karren_brady/status ... 2643602432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair play to Andy Goldstein on Talksport last night (just after midnight), absolutely caning her for this :scarfer:
bracknellhammer

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 am

https://twitter.com/karren_brady/status ... 2643602432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Horrible, vile ****
somerset-hammer

Postby wildkard on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am

Talksport laying into her and her TV show right now.
wildkard

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 am

wildkard wrote:Talksport laying into her and her TV show right now.

She must be in the wrong then if those moral guardians are on her case.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Broadly speaking she's done a great job for the only two people who matter to her at the club - those who pay her wages.

Not too sure I agree with you there Dave.

Has the long term value of the club really been enhanced ?

Protest movements centred largely around a stadium unfit for purpose and a general level of discontent amongst a sizeable element of our support for a sustained period of time is not a good look.

She's possibly put the club in a position where it is almost impossible to sell to any reputable buyer.

The strategy appears to have been to try and turn us in to "Arsenal light" ( although Arsenal themselves appear to have already cornered that market) , when a more imaginative strategy would have been to stay where we had been for 100 years and model us on a similar line to St Pauli.

Our basic market positioning concept is weak: we've chosen to compete on things we are too far behind on - Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea are all over the hills and far away.

We should have chosen a different path rather than follow theirs but 20 miles behind them.

It's things like this that cause me to question Karrens competence as a "great businesswoman" , her lack of understanding of how to compete in a crowded market place.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:She must be in the wrong then if those moral guardians are on her case.

You believe it was the right thing to do then?

If she'd at least mentioned the game as well there would have been nothing to talk about. But that would require the millions she's been paid by the club to have instilled some sort of loyalty in her. Self promotion means more though.
Graza

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am

She's not employed for her business skills, whatever they are. She's employed to handle PR, something she's mostly very good at.
DasNutNock

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 am

DasNutNock wrote:She's not employed for her business skills, whatever they are. She's employed to handle PR, something she's mostly very good at.

Self PR maybe...

For West Ham she is a PR nightmare.

I was surprised to see that the home Man City game wasn't being advertised as an opportunity to "come see City's superstars" again...
Graza

Postby claretandblue82 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

Graza wrote:

Self PR maybe...

I was surprised to see that the home Man City game wasn't being advertised as an opportunity to "come see City's superstars" again...[/quote]

I think they learned their lesson with that one. This season it will be 'come see City's title winning superstars'!!!
claretandblue82

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 am

claretandblue82 wrote:I think they learned their lesson with that one. This season it will be 'come see City's title winning superstars'!!!

If they bring the cup with them at least they can say we've seen silverware at the toilet bowl.
Graza

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am

Graza wrote:Self PR maybe...

I was surprised to see that the home Man City game wasn't being advertised as an opportunity to "come see City's superstars" again...

All positive PR is good PR if you're the figurehead of something like a PL football club. She has a Teflon coating that would otherwise be impossible if she had a Y chromosome.
DasNutNock

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm

DasNutNock wrote:All positive PR is good PR if you're the figurehead of something like a PL football club. She has a Teflon coating that would otherwise be impossible if she had a Y chromosome.

When was our last piece of positive PR?
Graza

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Graza wrote:You believe it was the right thing to do then?

If she'd at least mentioned the game as well there would have been nothing to talk about. But that would require the millions she's been paid by the club to have instilled some sort of loyalty in her. Self promotion means more though.

I think its utterly irrelevant and a massive over reaction. She has done stuff that should be called out but this isn't it. This is just an excuse for people to be, frankly, vile to someone they don't like the idea of. Its easier than actually doing things to get rid of them I guess.

Anyone going would be going anyway, we get paid the sky money however many watch. What actual damage does this do? The argument seems to be that her every waking moment should be about one of the jobs she does.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby Graza on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:59 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:I think its utterly irrelevant and a massive over reaction. She has done stuff that should be called out but this isn't it. This is just an excuse for people to be, frankly, vile to someone they don't like the idea of. Its easier than actually doing things to get rid of them I guess.

Anyone going would be going anyway, we get paid the sky money however many watch. What actual damage does this do? The argument seems to be that her every waking moment should be about one of the jobs she does.

Some of the reaction on Twitter is always in bad taste.

But it all feeds into the general narrative that the owners and their pet lady couldn't give a flying one about the club. Everything they do in the media is just so tone deaf and ridiculous that surely anyone competent would look at it and say "how will this be viewed?" then decide to do something slightly different.

If she is as savvy as some people credit her with then this was deliberate baiting to increase the visibility of her tweet and thus her program. I doubt she is capable of such short, medium or long term planning due to her body of work with West Ham.
Graza

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion