Relegation Thread 2016/17

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Relegation Thread 2016/17

Postby e17 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 am

Billydinho wrote:There's some jealous bitter f*ckers on here. Can't take that Leicester did it and we didn't.

I'm not fussed about league titles to be honest, I'd rather have watched some of the football we did last season (especially the Emirates, Anfield & final Boleyn game), & be where we are now, than have sat through the lump-a-thon to Vardy that won them the thing, followed by this season.
e17

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 am

Billydinho wrote:There's some jealous bitter f*ckers on here.

I didn't begrudge Leicester City their title at all .Manchester City on the other hand , standing there, watching them beat us to win the league at their place, very nearly did for me as a football supporter .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Rocket on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:27 am

the pink palermo wrote:Manchester City on the other hand , standing there, watching them beat us to win the league at their place, very nearly did for me as a football supporter .

Why? Because they effectively bought it? I remember that day being quite enjoyable, although that was probably more to do with the company than the football.

As for Leicester, let them have their day in the sun. They've achieved something most football supporters, themselves included, can only ever dream of. Good for them.
Rocket

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Good on them for winning the title, it was miraculous and brilliant to watch. It would still be funny if they got relegated.
thejackhammer

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Rocket wrote:Why? Because they effectively bought it? .

It was more about it being such an absurdly lopsided competition . How could we ever hope to compete and have a fair chance of winning .

Don't worry, I went home and thanked my lucky stars I wasn't a Stockport County supporter .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:11 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
It was more about it being such an absurdly lopsided competition . How could we ever hope to compete and have a fair chance of winning .

I know what you mean , I was thinking the exact same thing when they beat us 0-5 then 0-4 this season , how are they allowed to have such an absurdly wealthy owner while the likes of us have to make do with scratching around in the Championship for ' rough diamonds ' ?

And yet we were unbeaten against them last season , beating them at their place and drawing at ours , in fact if we hadn't lost to Bournemouth at home and drawn to Chelsea , Palace , Arsenal and Leicester on the trot it would have been us and not Manchester City playing in this year's Champion's League .

It still ain't fair though .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Jumby on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Leicester were incredible last season, they weren't as bad and as route one as people make out but they had a tiny squad compared to the others so come the business end of the season they were just grinding out results like champions do, whilst rocking up at the Petrodollar Arena and smashing them with a couple of goals from a centre half that Stoke deemed surplus to requirements and a wonder goal from an Algerian that cost them 400k and ended up player of the season.

What they did was cause the biggest shock in sporting history, it was a ridiculous achievement that could easily never be repeated in most of our lifetimes, or ever again, the sale of Kante, their star player, to 10th placed Chelsea just proves how stupid football is these days.

It would still be funny if they went down, I don't like Vardy, I don't like Huth and I don't like how their owner talked big and acted small, he said they'd go out and sign decent players and look at them, they're sliding down the table as if there's no tomorrow, if it wasn't for us being the sh!t team that we're always capable of being they'd be in the bottom 3.
Jumby

Foxestalk

Postby Ludeksgloves on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:48 am

Went on their to check their reaction to their loss against 10 man Millwall (I know, but with no hammers game this weekend I have been Jonesing for a bit of footie drama).

Bizarre. They almost all are calling Ranieri clueless and want him to go. I would take a Premiership title and a **** following season any day of the week. Ungratefull twats.
Ludeksgloves

Re: Foxestalk

Postby bspur1 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:01 am

embarrassing however that is modern football and more accurate internet fans,

we cant take to high of a moral high ground because if we where in their position there would be people calling for his head if didn't go back to back

see thy are linking themselves with Hiddnick and De Boer among others
bspur1

Postby ammo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 am

bspur1 wrote:embarrassing however that is modern football and more accurate internet fans,

we cant take to high of a moral high ground because if we where in their position there would be people calling for his head if didn't go back to back

see thy are linking themselves with Hiddnick and De Boer among others

Would they be able to get someone of that quality at this moment in time?
ammo

Postby Tenbury on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:16 am

Everything I hate about football today.

( saying that,to those sad 50 year old knuckledraggers that got on the train to The Charity Shield,while we were going to the Juve game,that were throwing food around and giving my 10 yr old grief ('till I returned from the khazi)........have some of that, twats.
Expect they'll just go back to 'supporting' ManU.
Tenbury

Postby Jumby on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 pm

They're looking like a right mess this season, who wins the league and then loans a defender from Udinese?
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Leicester, Bournemouth and Palace, I'd love that. Jack Wilshere has been a massive hit I see.
Jumby

Postby upton o'good on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:30 pm

traxop wrote:Wow, really surprised everyone is giving a pass to Bournemouth considering they haven't won a game in 6, got beaten by Crystal Palace to nil, and conceded a whooping 25 games in the last 10 games.

Everyone seems to be oblivious to this it seems. At this point in time, I'm more confident in Crystal Palace turning it around then than Bournemouth. Up against City, West Brom then United. Ya good luck to you Bournemouth.[ They could be on a 10 game win-less stretch when we meet them next.

which will pretty much guarantee the 3 points.
upton o'good

Postby Jumby on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Another Boruc clanger, Bournemouth are sh!t.
Jumby

Postby ironilunga on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 am

ironilunga wrote:12 games in and I am calling it

IMO there are very clearly 4 teams that are worse than everyone else in the league.

Boro
Swansea
Hull
Sunderland

Can probably remove Swansea from this equation now. The bottom 3 are not going to change now.
ironilunga

Postby funky chicken on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 am

Middlesbrough, Hull and Sunderland.

- Swansea will be fine now. They reacted quick enough to get rid of Bob Bradley, so they could bring in a coach that suits the model of the club and in time for them to make some important signings in January.

- Now Ranieri has gone Leciester will also be fine now they players have stopped cheating (sadly).

- Palace will also now stay up, as teams for some physiological reason seem to sh*t themselves just because they are facing a team Big Sam is managing. He got very lucky not to suffer his first PL relegation last year as Newcastke took at least a month to long to get rid of McLaren for Benitez. And luckily for him now Sunderland seem to be going backwards again and Middlesbrough are no longer as solid as they were he will stay up again.

- Bournemouth are the only team that could be sucked into it. But I can still see them picking up the odd point here or there, like yesterday.

- Hull I think will finish rock bottom. They've had too many key injuries and when you sell one of your key players in Janaury (Snodgrass) you are asking fir trouble. They have improved since the new manager has come in and made a few half decent signings in January. But I think are lacking in quality in a lot of key areas.

- Middlesbrough only 2 months ago I would've said they would be fine and in the same bracket as Bournemouth. I.e. They'll pick up the odd point/s here or there. But now there defensive solidarity has gone they have nothing to show for it. They did poor business in January when they was in a decent position and could've shown some ambition. Plus when you have a stupid manager that decides to turn the whole atmosphere into a negative by slagging of the fans, you are asking for trouble, To stand any chance they must sack Karanka pronto and bring a solid replacement in. They have enough quality up top still in Negredo and Traore to score goals. They have just Ben managed appallingly. If they don't bite the bullet they'll finish 2nd bottom.

- Sunderland have the experience of staying up. They must keep Defoe fit to stand any chance. If he gets injured they will definitely be gone this season. They are kind of like the new Wigan, when they usually go on a good run at the end of the season to stay up. There's nothing to suggest they couldn't do that again. But I think they will finally go this time and will finish 18th.

My final bottom 7 prediction is:

14th Swansea
15th Leicester
16th Crystal Palace
17th Bournemouth
--------------------------------
18th Sunderland
19th Middlesbrough
20th Hull

A good 3 to go down in terms of getting rid of some northern teams and longer away trips. And 3 bland poorly supported teams. But I would personally prefer teams like Palace and Leicester to go down, so the League can be weaker at the bottom next season so it's easier not to be sucked into the bottom. Whereas teams like Leicester and Palace under Big Sam are more likely to make the League more competitive next season.
funky chicken

Postby dave_l on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 am

The meltdown against Sunderland seems to have done the Croydon Nigel's the world of good. They've looked much better since then. The bottom 3 as they are now look most devoid of a plan but stranger things have happened. It really feels like it's Sunderland's turn to go down. The rest is still open I think.
dave_l

Postby BondsoBob on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

14th Swansea
15th Leicester
16th Crystal Palace
17th Bournemouth
--------------------------------
18th Sunderland
19th Middlesbrough
20th Hull

A good 3 to go down in terms of getting rid of some northern teams and longer away trips. And 3 bland poorly supported teams. But I would personally prefer teams like Palace and Leicester to go down, so the League can be weaker at the bottom next season so it's easier not to be sucked into the bottom. Whereas teams like Leicester and Palace under Big Sam are more likely to make the League more competitive next season.[/quote]

Sunderland poorly supported ? Average home gates of around 40,000 and always take a decent away following. :?
BondsoBob

Postby Rocket on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 pm

funky chicken wrote:- Middlesbrough only 2 months ago I would've said they would be fine and in the same bracket as Bournemouth. I.e. They'll pick up the odd point/s here or there. But now there defensive solidarity has gone they have nothing to show for it.

Surely this indicates just how quickly a team's fortunes can change and that it is still too close to call at the bottom.
Rocket

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion