Hammers Supporters Club

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Hammers Supporters Club

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:52 am

Thing is they're sitting on a goldmine of a lease. If Sullivan had that lease on a property, he would capitalise it on Monday morning.
Doc H Ball

Postby PC Hammer on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:57 pm

EGM went ahead today.

The club has about 240 members. No letter was sent out to those members to inform about this meeting. about 50 members turned up through word of mouth etc.

The motion was to see if the members wanted to keep the club open or close it down.

The club is losing £7,000 a month. It has £30,000 in the bank down from £100,000 a few months ago. It is owed money as it has an investment in 2 flats. If the club closes all creditors are paid and the remaining money is either given away or divided among people who have been members for 7 years or more (i may be corrected on this point).

The club had a meeting with West Ham and Newham last week and an e-mail is awaited on the help to be provided.

There was complaints that little was being done to keep the club open and to inform the members of what is happening since the committee run the club on behalf of its members. It was noted the EHWMC was making a decent fist of things.

There seemed to be disagreement between members on the committee which was worrying.

The vote was carried unanimously for the club to stay open until the end of the season. The AGM will be on Sunday 9th April. West Ham / Newham's response will be known shortly and will guide this meeting. A request was put forward for the lease to be made available for valuation. All current memberships will be honoured until the club makes a firm decision on whether it will be open next season. The committee will explore the possibility of opening a satellite bar next to the new stadium.

It was noted that all committee members were volunteers and were thanked for doing this. However leadership was lacking and so was a firm grasp of the clubs finances. It is hoped this will be sorted for the AGM.

If i remember anything i else i shall post it.
PC Hammer

Postby mushy on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Losing 7 grand a month?
What the hell are the overheads then?
Lighting, heating, council tax and staff costs.
How can that come to that amount of money?
Thanks for the update PC.
mushy

Postby Pop Robson on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Sad to hear, but why not write to lapsed members and try and do something on matchdays to get people in

Even a couple of coaches of away fans would bring money in, especially as there's no away pubs on Stratford
Pop Robson

Postby Up the Junction on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Pop Robson wrote:Even a couple of coaches of away fans would bring money in, especially as there's no away pubs on Stratford

Pop, KUMB has 22k registered forum members whilst the site averages c.200k visitors per months. The SC has a virtually-empty venue in desperate need of West Ham fans.

With a little effort from both sides, you could get your couple of coaches of our fans in time for the next game.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Pop Robson on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Not our fans away fans, a nice stop off, beer food and then onto the game

As PC Hammer said the committee don't seem to wanna know, usual club committee happy to see it empty at times !

Our fans are going to the EHWMC, with the events upstairs filling that big hall up ! Heard it was 5 coaches to the Paalce game !!!
Pop Robson

Postby Fishbone on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:03 pm

mushy wrote:Losing 7 grand a month?
What the hell are the overheads then?
Lighting, heating, council tax and staff costs.
How can that come to that amount of money?
Thanks for the update PC.

The problem is, it still opens most days of the week as it serves the community. Most days of the week, there are almost more staff than customers, with some nights, just the one punter.

I have said it already in this thread, I still don't see no reason why people don't go down there. It is free to get in now on matchdays, the beer is £1.50 cheaper than most places in E20 and an Uber costs £7.50. I get a sense though, that some don't want to see it shut down, but also can;t be bothered to go down there.
Fishbone

Postby leveller on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Fishbone wrote:I have said it already in this thread, I still don't see no reason why people don't go down there. It is free to get in now on matchdays, the beer is £1.50 cheaper than most places in E20 and an Uber costs £7.50. I get a sense though, that some don't want to see it shut down, but also can;t be bothered to go down there.

Because it's not convenient anymore is the simple reason for most I would guess. Which is probably why EHWMC is doing better, because they have made it more convenient by arranging (free?) coaches.

I'd like to see a well-run supporters club which I think is needed now more than ever and seeing as the current one has a long history it would be a shame to see that one fold. But for an SC work as a gathering point then realistically it needs to be located within walking distance of where we play our home games.
leveller

Postby Fishbone on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:33 pm

It's not convenient for me, I come into Kings Cross and usually get the fast train to Stratford International, but whenever I get the chance to leave the house before 11am, I'll head to the supporters club. At the current rate, the supporters club will not make the end of the season and all those that moaned that we have lost a huge part of our history with the ground move, will lose another huge piece due to it being a little inconvenient.
Fishbone

Postby Romford on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 pm

I was in EHWMC last night after the game...doing my bit to keep the gaff open. Very pleased to see the place ticking over nicely with all seats full on a Saturday night.

Why the SC hasn't put the same amount of effort in is the big question....
Romford
Big X

Postby PC Hammer on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Romford wrote:I was in EHWMC last night after the game...doing my bit to keep the gaff open. Very pleased to see the place ticking over nicely with all seats full on a Saturday night.

Why the SC hasn't put the same amount of effort in is the big question....

The committees are the difference. There are some decent people trying their best but the executive part is not working hard enough.
PC Hammer

Postby Romford on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 pm

PC Hammer wrote:
The committees are the difference. There are some decent people trying their best but the executive part is not working hard enough.

I agree mate.....and i hope you can help them see the light.

It really has to get more in touch with the local community...not just fans who used to drink there.

I know they have some soul do's there with PL...need much more of that
Romford
Big X

Postby sanchoz on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Is there any update that can be published regarding the supporters club?
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby PC Hammer on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:33 am

Big changes since the last post. The executive committee have resigned and a new committee has been formed while i have been co-opted on it to help steer the ship.

The new committee are holding a general meeting this Sunday at the club starting at 12.30pm. All current members are welcome and a membership card check will be taken. No card no entry.

I shall report fully on the meeting but the new committee is busting a gut to keep the place alive as the cash has almost run out.

We are determined that the place will not close. :scarfer:
PC Hammer

Postby PC Hammer on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 am

Today will see whether the Hammers Supporters Club continues or closes.

All current members are invited to the meeting at the club starting at 12.30pm today. If you intend to come please bring your membership card or you will not gain entry to the meeting.

I shall report back after the meeting.

A lot of hard work has gone into formulating a rescue plan for the club and if accepted by the members then away we go. If not we shall signal the end of another fine West Ham institution.
PC Hammer

Postby bengeo on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 am

Good luck! Hope all goes well.
bengeo

Postby funky chicken on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Who owns that wooden building next to the red tower outside of the stadium? Can't Sully buy that and turn that into the new Supporters club.
funky chicken

Postby PC Hammer on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:06 pm

I am very pleased to announce that the members of the Hammers Supporters Club have supported and agreed to a rescue package for the club. The club was due to close on 31/05/17.

A brand new committee has been formed, membership has been re-opened and the club is now busy organising its future.

A new website will be opened shortly while all members from the past few years are to be contacted about joining again or continuing their membership.You are welcome to contact us to help with time and costs !!!

Membership will be £10 until 31/12/17. Membership forma are available at the club or can be downloaded once the website is up an running. I shall try to make it available on the WHUISA website.

The club has helped many charities over the years fundraise and now it is time to help itself in its time of need. To this end it is organising an evening for Saturday 24th June hosted by Tony Gale with a number of ex players from the 1960's / 70's / 80's coming along to be on stage with Tony or just be in the club to have a pint and a chat with the punters and support the HSC. We are hopeful auctions and a raffle will take place in aid of the Bobby Moore Cancer Research Fund.

A list of ex players appearing will be published soon. Tickets will be priced at £15 which will also give you membership of the HSC. Tickets are being limited to 175 and we are hopeful of selling them all. The club itself will be open from 2pm that day and lager / beer is priced at £3 a pint.

There will also be the Hammer of the Year presentation in early August - further details to follow. The original HotY trophy now in its 70th year will be presented and it is hoped many of the club's players past and present will be there.

The HSC is looking at opening in Stratford in order to be closer to the new ground and has had and will have discussions with West Ham United and Newham Council to this effect.

Your HSC needs YOU ! Please support the HSC in whatever way you can.

WHUISA are fully involved in this venture but have not contributed any funds.

Newham Recorder have picked up on the plight of the HSC and will be running a piece in all Recorder newspapers and the Barking & Dagenham Post next week.

Without help and support from Hammers fans and members of the club it will be in serious trouble. We have lost enough of our West Ham heritage as it is. Lets not lose any more if we can and this time this is in our OWN hands.

Please post any offers of help / support / ideas on this thread or send to me at enquiries@WHUISA.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or PM me. I shall pass them onto the new committee. :crest:

Paul
HSC Social Secretary and WHUISA Joint Chair.
PC Hammer

Postby Kialos on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Fantastic news, well done everyone concerned and I hope the venture is a success. :crest:
Kialos

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:41 pm

That's brilliant news, congratulations Paul and all others involved.

It's places like a Supporters Club that will help our club maintain our traditions and image, great to see it will continue and hope it can make the move to Stratford sooner rather than later!
HarlowEssexHammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion