Havard Nordtveit. Embryonic cult hero?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Havard Nordtveit. Embryonic cult hero?

Postby Nesticles on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm hoping he comes good, and will not be too surprised if he does between now and the end of the season if he features in place of Obiang

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/hav ... letting-go
Nesticles

Postby e17 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Makes Kovac look like Payet
e17

Postby Phil S on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

deserves a chance

sadly won't get one from a few on here
Phil S

Postby Romford on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Phil S wrote:deserves a chance

To be fair mate i think he has had a couple and done nothing...

I will always give a player every chance...and was one of the few who argued Obiangs corner.

Every Foreign player needs 12 months...so am still hoping for HV to come good but haven't seen much yet.
Romford
Big X

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Phil S wrote:deserves a chance

What I cannot understand is the length of contract awarded him .Five years ? On the basis of what ?

I'd love to know who made that decision , and why .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby smuts on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Another victim of the who can we play at RB this week?

Might come good in his proper DM role but looked a bit lost at how quick the prem was when trying to line up his Hollywood balls out to the wing. One more injury and he might have to step up quickly....
smuts

Postby Romford on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
What I cannot understand is the length of contract awarded him .Five years ? On the basis of what ?

I'd love to know who made that decision , and why .

He was on a free and was clever enough to cover the rest of his playing career in his one last contract
Romford
Big X

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Romford wrote:He was on a free and was clever enough to cover the rest of his playing career in his one last contract

I can see what was in it for him , I'm struggling to see why we would be so sure , other than the fact he was "free" .

Once again our Chairman unable to resist a "bargain" .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

An important player in a good Monchengladbach team, yet another to fall victim to the curse of new signings where they all fall to bits
thejackhammer

Postby Kitt the car on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

thejackhammer wrote:An important player in a good Monchengladbach team, yet another to fall victim to the curse of new signings where they all fall to bits

Personally think we haven't seen enough of him for him to "fall to bits". He completely ****ed up for the Spurs penalty but other than that he's been used sparingly as yet another square peg in a round hole.

As a big fan of his, I hope the recent injuries mean he 1) gets game time and 2) in his actual position.
Kitt the car

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 pm

However good or bad he is, he surely can't be anywhere near match fit. When was the last time he actually played in a game of football?
johnnyb

Postby WCpete on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am

He did play a few times at his 'natural' position, and he wasn't too stellar then either. He's entirely too slow to be effective in the middle of the pitch. And now that he hasn't played in months, what's the point?

Fernandes for me.
WCpete

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 am

Cometh the hour, cometh the embryonic cult hero :scarfer:
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby westlondonhammer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 am

Am I right that he hasn't played in his natural position in the team since September? When we were in a complete mess as a team...

For all Obiangs talent, he hasn't provided much in the way of protection for our back line...it's been a major weakness in recent weeks

With Obiang out for me it's time to give him another go at providing that protection the back line desperately needs. Fernandes brings great energy to the midfield but on reflection I'm not sure he'll bring that cover we need.

All foreigners need time and a proper chance...this is his time between now and the end of the season

Havard if we want to try and shore up the team
Fernandes if we want to continue to try to outscore the opposition who we're gifting goals
westlondonhammer

Postby Yea Why Not on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 am

Romford wrote:
I will always give a player every chance...and was one of the few who argued Obiangs corner.

I remember you banging Zarate's drum when almost everyone wanted him gone but Obiang? Just about everyone wanted him in the team and were baffled as to why it took so long

I'd give Nord a game or two sitting in front of the defence. We're at a point now where we really need to pick up some points and if we keep playing as openly as we have been that is going to be difficult.
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 am

We don't really have too many options available. If Nordtveit can't get a game now, he never will. Fernandes isn't the answer - he's more an attacking midfielder than a defensive one. So far, his experience has been a handful of games to settle in whilst trying to help shore up a side that was falling apart all over the pitch. He's not the quickest but appears to read the game well and makes numerous interceptions.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby YorksHammer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 am

D C wrote:I usually give signings at least a season before harshly judging but he's trash and looks like the sort of player that needs a structured set up. I dont want him to take any minutes off of Fernandes

Why would a DM be taking playing time off an AM?

I do agree on his pace being an issue, but I think the signing was a sound one, especially for 'free'. He was really very good in the Gladbach team and looked to be on the same level as the two players who played alongside him regularly - Xhaka and Dahoud.

I don't think you become a regular player in a team that finishes 3rd and 4th in consecutive seasons by being trash.

I'd have more faith in a Nordtveit-Noble partnership than a Fernandes-Noble one, for sure.
YorksHammer

Postby Hatcham Iron on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am

Hope he can step up now rekon he will be in the side til end of season with the injury situation as it is hope we see the real player now you never know :crest:
Hatcham Iron

Postby fredjstanley on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Not quite sure what he's done to deserve a chance in CM ahead of Kouyate or Noble. Terrible for the first month of the season in CM, even worse at RB for a few games and an absolutely unforgivable five minute "cameo" versus Spurs. Would much rather see Cullen recalled and given a run if I'm honest, but youth doesn't exactly seem to be a priority for us currently.
fredjstanley

Postby libero on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm

True he didn't have a brilliant first month for us and since then he's been chopping and changing and seems to have picked up a series of niggling injuries.

But he was pretty much first team def mid for Borrussia M for 6 seasons in the Bundesliga, so he must know what he's doing. Play him where he should be played, give him the confidence that he won't be dropped after one match and I think we will see a different player.

From here to the end of the season I think we're going to need him

PS recalling Josh Cullen would be a sensible thing to do and I hope that the club is exploring every avenue of making that happen. But, from what I've heard, I reckon it's not allowed under the terms of the loan deal and the transfer window - unfortunately :(
libero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion