Away priority points allocation

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Away priority points allocation

Postby danm79 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Westferry Iron wrote:However, I fail to see how it's fair that a kid can get a pp for a £1 to a home game they might not even bother going to. That can also make the difference of someone getting a ticket to Brighton or not. If that isn't queue jumping I don't know what is.

I agree that a ticket should be used for a PP to be issued but guess with the system we have isnt possible without spending money.

On your point re buying to gain points, I think a few do this with away games but it is not the norm.

One issue with selling away tickets is there is no exchange available, there will always be an AST that can't make every game with holidays, work, wedding etc. Add PP buyers in to the mix who think they can attend then factor in sickness, family issues I would guess if there are 3000 tickets sold lets say 100 each match can't attend these could be advertised on an exchange on first come basis and the club could monitor for regular sellers. A slight twist on the 10% if you like.

I would be for some sort of ID check against purchase history if it helped stop any reselling for points or making money for fans but I don't think it is a major issue (social media probably highlights it more) and not even sure it is really possible or practical to do.
danm79

Postby Westferry Iron on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

hadleighhammer wrote:
The pts for home cup games are not queue jumping as everyone has the same opportunity to book their own ticket for the cup game and get the loyalty point. The ballot is purely luck of the draw and others can jump ahead in terms of getting a ticket. A massive difference.

Whether the loyalty points for home cup games is something that should be allowed is another matter....

It's just the club selling points for peanuts. It is queue jumping in terms of the pp priority ladder. A fan or youngster who did an away to Everton is no way morally or in any other way equivalent to a kid getting a £1 to Shrewsbury at home, and doesn't go. Maybe it's just me who thinks that's unfair.
Westferry Iron

Postby danny faithless on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't often post on this site as there's far too much digging at fellow hammers which I don't like to see if posters don't agree with each other. It goes too far sometimes and I can't be dealing with that so just read most of the time.

Here's my two cents though.

First of all I respect our hardcore away support a lot. They do the miles and deserve tickets to the games. I used to be one.

But I'm not totally against the ballot process.

I go to every game I can. I've had a season ticket for over 25 years now. I used to go to most aways but then started a business, had kids and got married so funds became limited. That meant home games only and even these used to be a fight with the misses. "we can't afford it, you come back grumpy, you get too pissed etc etc" (she used to have a season ticket to but now stays home with the bins)

Sadly away games had to take a back seat. Now 10 years down the line they're more doable. Accept I only have 4 points and can't do everyone still so can't build up points by putting in the miles. Sunderland away on a Tuesday and so on. Family life and work still dictates. So the ballot works for me if I can make a game and in my eyes doesn't make me a queue jumper, I'd be going to every game if I could and have 20 plus points.

Does it make me less of a supporter? Not in my eyes. A mate of mine with points in the late twentys can't make Brighton so he's bought the ticket to keep his points up and I'm taking the ticket. You won't think it's my first away game in years cause I'll be there giving it some like all the rest do. People are buying tickets to keep points. Let's not pretend it's not happening.

Everyone has a story. This just mine.

The big issue though gang isn't queue jumping, it isn't the amount of points and who deserves to go. It's the board and why they're doing the ballot. It's to unsettle the fans, divide us, take the heat of them so they can rinse the club and fans more.

Let's stayed United shall we?

GSB OUT
danny faithless

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

danm79 wrote:
I would be for some sort of ID check against purchase history if it helped stop any reselling for points or making money for fans but I don't think it is a major issue (social media probably highlights it more) and not even sure it is really possible or practical to do.

I agree but I'm not sure it's very practical to do ID checks. How do other clubs manage this does anyone know? Surely Liverpool and Man United have similar issues.
Knighter10WHU

Postby k-r-c on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:I agree but I'm not sure it's very practical to do ID checks. How do other clubs manage this does anyone know? Surely Liverpool and Man United have similar issues.

Just simply print the name of the person on the ticket. Then say random ID checks at every game. They don't have to do everyone but do just enough so you know its a risk if you decide to buy a ticket off someone.
k-r-c

Postby Hammer'67 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 pm

[/quote]

I believe the PP for cup games were put into place on the off chance we got to a cup final to assist in rewarding people who had shown the most loyal support so maybe a move to Cup Points instead of PP would be more sensible so it would be Bond holders, AST, PP, CP, ST, Members, GS.[/quote]

There is no completely fair system. Have been a season ticket holder for years but the few home cup games we have had have since the new system have all fallen when I have been away on business. I am not going to buy a ticket just to get a point. Why should a new season ticket holder go ahead of me in a cup final just because they have attended a couple of cup games in the last 2 seasons.

TBH though a cup final looks unlikely so a theoretical argument anyway :)
Hammer'67

Postby hadleighhammer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Westferry Iron wrote:It's just the club selling points for peanuts. It is queue jumping in terms of the pp priority ladder. A fan or youngster who did an away to Everton is no way morally or in any other way equivalent to a kid getting a £1 to Shrewsbury at home, and doesn't go. Maybe it's just me who thinks that's unfair.

I kind of agree on it being a bit off that home cup games being worth the same pts as Everton midweek away, but ultimately it's not unfair as such as the youngster who did Everton can also buy a cup ticket, and by doing Everton will still be 1 point ahead of those who didn't.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby hadleighhammer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm

danny faithless wrote:I go to every game I can. I've had a season ticket for over 25 years now. I used to go to most aways but then started a business, had kids and got married so funds became limited. That meant home games only and even these used to be a fight with the misses. "we can't afford it, you come back grumpy, you get too pissed etc etc" (she used to have a season ticket to but now stays home with the bins)

Sadly away games had to take a back seat. Now 10 years down the line they're more doable. Accept I only have 4 points and can't do everyone still so can't build up points by putting in the miles. Sunderland away on a Tuesday and so on. Family life and work still dictates. So the ballot works for me if I can make a game and in my eyes doesn't make me a queue jumper, I'd be going to every game if I could and have 20 plus points.

Everyone has a story. This just mine.

That's all fair enough, but why do you deserve to take a ticket off 1 of 300 or so supporters who have done the miles who would have had enough pts if there wasn't a 10% ballot?

Even if for family reasons you can't do the games you want to build up pts, ultimately you are queue jumping in front of someone if you get a ticket in the ballot.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby mushy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

danny faithless wrote:'

So you get a ticket via the ballot when you have 4 points over someone who has done the miles and has 20 points, and that doesnt make you a queue jumper?
I dont follow the logic.

The big issue though gang isn't queue jumping, it isn't the amount of points and who deserves to go. It's the board and why they're doing the ballot. It's to unsettle the fans, divide us, take the heat of them so they can rinse the club and fans more.

And yet you seem in favour of the ballot.
mushy

Postby danm79 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:I agree but I'm not sure it's very practical to do ID checks. How do other clubs manage this does anyone know? Surely Liverpool and Man United have similar issues.

Its all about memberships and money at Man United, very difficult to get tickets unless you buy well over face value.

I still believe it is fairly easy over 2 seasons to have enough points to attend every match in season 3 the problem is people who want to do the odd selective game. I think for supporters of probably 60-70% of PL clubs this just isnt how it works. I get people have difference reason etc but not sure there is an easy solution.
danm79

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm

k-r-c wrote:Just simply print the name of the person on the ticket. Then say random ID checks at every game. They don't have to do everyone but do just enough so you know its a risk if you decide to buy a ticket off someone.

Pretty sure the away tickets are generated by the home club and sent to WHU so we wouldn't print them necessarily. Loads of people buy off of others so I reckon it should be a case of if we catch you using a ticket that is not your name that person loses the PP, nothing more (like refused entry to the ground). The trouble is, why would WHU pay someone to travel to the away ground and do these checks - what's in it for them?
Knighter10WHU

Postby Phil S on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

ref the ID

so on the day of the match I'm too ill to go
I know someone local who will go in my place, that's better for me to sell him my ticket so I don't lose out

with an ID system in place I'm ****ed
Phil S

Postby mushy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Any ID checks (random or otherwise) would involve the club sending stewards to away games solely for this purpose. This will cost the club money. Is there anything in these checks for the club at all? No there isnt, and as we know by know if it costs the club any money , its unlikely to happen.

Edit: apologies, Knighter has already pointed this out.
And you are also correct that the home team print all the tickets and send them to us nameless.
The only check you could do is if the stewards carried a spreadsheet with all the ticket numbers against the fans names that bought them. That means either someone enters this info manually, or a data extraction program running and sucking all the relevant info onto said spreadsheet. Both surely beyond the wit of anyone at our club.
mushy

Postby Phil S on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 pm

as for those saying why give a kid a PP for a home cup £1 game?

I go with my son, if they don't give him the same point they give me then that could be the difference between getting an away or missing out. I'd sooner pay the full price for him and keep level on points. We didn't ask for £1 tickets.

As someone mentioned earlier, separate away priority point from home cup points
If we ever get to a cup final or even a cup game that doesn't sell out, then home cup PP come in to play

simples
Phil S

Postby sanchoz on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Phil S wrote:as for those saying why give a kid a PP for a home cup £1 game?

I go with my son, if they don't give him the same point they give me then that could be the difference between getting an away or missing out. I'd sooner pay the full price for him and keep level on points. We didn't ask for £1 tickets.

As someone mentioned earlier, separate away priority point from home cup points
If we ever get to a cup final or even a cup game that doesn't sell out, then home cup PP come in to play

simples

How Liverpool Sold tickets for their League Cup final appearance in 2016 after their corporate membership schemes:

Season Ticket Holders, Members and Fan Card Holders

As tickets during the below sales can be purchased ONLINE ONLY, the club would like to highlight the following points;

• If you have forgotten your My Account password, you can request a reminder here; you must have an email address registered on your account to receive your password reminder.
• If you do not have an email address registered on your account, please contact us on 0151 264 2500 to update your details.
• To purchase tickets for any friends and family, your accounts must be linked. Log in to My Account to check details of friends and family you are linked to.
• Click here for further information relating to the friends and family scheme.

If you require assistance with using your online account we recommend that you contact us on 0151 264 2500 before Monday February 8 as once on sale we cannot guarantee that we will be able to assist with any My Account queries.

SALE ONE
Tickets will be available ONLINE ONLY from 9am on Wednesday February 10 until 8am on Thursday February 11 to the following supporters:

Season Ticket Holders, Members and Fan Card Holders who have recorded on their customer record four or more of the following Capital One cup matches during season 2015-2016:

Stoke City home (26/1/16), Stoke City away (5/1/2016), Southampton away (2/12/2015), AFC Bournemouth home (28/10/2015), Carlisle United home (23/9/2015).

Supporters can purchase one ticket per qualifying supporter for up to a maximum of EIGHT tickets per transaction.

SALE TWO
Tickets will be available ONLINE ONLY from 9am on Thursday February 11 until 8am on Friday February 12 to the following supporters:

Season Ticket Holders who have recorded on their customer record three or more of the following Capital One cup matches during season 2015-2016:

Stoke City Home (26/1/16), Stoke City away (5/1/2016), Southampton away (2/12/2015), AFC Bournemouth home (28/10/2015), Carlisle United home (23/9/2015)

Supporters can purchase one ticket per qualifying supporter for up to a maximum of EIGHT tickets per transaction.

SALE THREE
Tickets will be available ONLINE ONLY from 9am on Friday February 12 until 8am on Monday February 15 to the following supporters:

Members who have recorded on their customer record three or more of the following Capital One cup matches during season 2015-2016:

Stoke City Home (26/1/16), Stoke City away (5/1/2016), Southampton away (2/12/2015), AFC Bournemouth home (28/10/2015), Carlisle United home (23/9/2015)

SALE FOUR
Tickets will be available ONLINE ONLY from 8.30am on Monday February 15 until 4pm on Monday February 15 to the following supporters:

Fan Card Holders who have recorded on their customer record three or more of the following Capital One Cup matches during season 2015-2016:

Supporters who purchase during each of the above sales are guaranteed a ticket.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/tickets ... et-details
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby sharphammer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

do you get a loyalty / point if you buy a ticket but you're not a STH??
sharphammer

Postby Phil S on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

I wonder how the supporters got the tickets for the capital one games Sanchoz?

If they got priority over away fans I'm sure that went down well
Phil S

Postby Row X on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm

sanchoz wrote:
How Liverpool Sold tickets for their League Cup final appearance in 2016 after their corporate membership schemes:

SALE ONE

SALE TWO

SALE THREE

SALE FOUR

SALE FIVE

Ring Dave from Birkenhead, he'll have some copies.

SALE SIX

Travel on the day and bunk in like the majority do.
Row X

Postby Phil S on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm

sharphammer wrote:do you get a loyalty / point if you buy a ticket but you're not a STH??

yes, but you can't use it
Phil S

Postby sharphammer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Phil S wrote:
yes, but you can't use it

Cheers phil, so whats the 'point' in them? excuse the pun!
sharphammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion