Jose Fonte Confirmed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jose Fonte Confirmed

Postby steps on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:
He was at fault for their first last season which had the Southampton crowd singing that song.

Can't remember that mate. I was at that game (as you probably were) and seem to remember Gabbiadini's first being an absolute screamer.

Then we went on to win the game 3-1.

Like I say, Saturday was his worst game for us since signing.
steps

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Why wouldn't club 8 be of interest to him

probably because he is not completely mental (if I assume you mean us as team 8)

he has stated many times he wants to leave southampton to go to a bigger club with a chance of winning trophies and/or playing in champions league
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby wizzo_66 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 pm

steps wrote:Can't remember that mate. I was at that game (as you probably were) and seem to remember Gabbiadini's first being an absolute screamer.

Very similar with a more emphatic finish. He was offside but Fonte let him go.

Saints fans celebrated by immediately singing it sarcastically.
wizzo_66

Postby IanBishopLegend7 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:35 pm

As a centre back he is physically fine. Alvin Martin was in a worse state than him at 37; he frequently put in man of the match performances.

It's his overall attitude in games that gets me. He looks like he spends more time on his hair and goatee than any match preparation. He needs a firework stuck up his arse.
IanBishopLegend7

Postby Yea Why Not on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 am

wizzo_66 wrote:
Recovered from injury to play the last 10 mins against Huddersfield and then played the 90 against Liverpool?

Did you just make that up?

100% fit according to Sky fantasy football. I had him in my team :D. If you know that he was injured for the first 80 mins of their opening fixture then fair enough but what about last year? He didn't really nail down a spot then either. Add that to the fact that every Palace ST holder I know thinks he's either 'sh*t' or 'average'. It's worrying if some honestly believe he's the answer to our problems. De Boer seems to favour 3 center halfs so I guess he'll play with their current squad now Sakho isn't there. Although I doubt he'll suit the passing game he's going to be asked to play
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am

almost as bad a buy as snodgrass.
still some deadwood to shift at the club: fonte snodgrass sakho and carroll
shame we cant do a sully special offer 25m for the lot !
hammerman11

Postby Alfiehammer on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 am

Interesting going back and reading the first few pages of comments. Overridingly the comments were positive and the majority happy with the deal, with the odd murmur about the fee...but no one questioning the quality of the player or signing.

What do we do to players is my point??
Alfiehammer

Postby NW5hammer on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am

Alfiehammer wrote:Interesting going back and reading the first few pages of comments. Overridingly the comments were positive and the majority happy with the deal, with the odd murmur about the fee...but no one questioning the quality of the player or signing.

What do we do to players is my point??

I agree, it's weird. He came in at a time when the team was playing badly, was badly organised and low in confidence. He seemed to catch that mood like a virus. He may have lost pace but he's a quality centre back apparently. You'd expect someone of his experience to be able to handle this, but it seems he's just as prone to mental problems as a younger player. You kind of think someone like Allardyce would have sorted this better.
NW5hammer

Postby YorksHammer on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:33 am

Just read that he's given away five penalties since the start of last season.

Five!
YorksHammer

Postby Nesticles on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 am

Tomkins going and the fee we let him go for seems mental now

Would be a much better defensive unit with him here instead of Fonte

With Reid injured, Collins would imo be the first CB on the teamsheet now
Nesticles

Postby Chrissieboy on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am

Love Tomkins but yet another player who seems to be out injured every other week.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks

Postby Chrissieboy on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am

Having said that would still have him over Fonte any day of the week.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 am

YorksHammer wrote:Just read that he's given away five penalties since the start of last season.

Five!

I'd imagine it wont be the last either
chigwells finest

Postby Ferret on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am

Nesticles wrote:Tomkins going and the fee we let him go for seems mental now

It does seem mental and this also down to our manager thinking he could turn Antonio into a world class RB or WB and we all know how that turned out :lol:
Ferret

Postby Hammer83 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 am

IanBishopLegend7 wrote:As a centre back he is physically fine. Alvin Martin was in a worse state than him at 37; he frequently put in man of the match performances.

It's his overall attitude in games that gets me. He looks like he spends more time on his hair and goatee than any match preparation. He needs a firework stuck up his arse.

Physically fine? Do me a favour a geriatric snail moves and reacts faster than he does.The guy is useless he has already conceded 5 penalties and been at fault for numerous other goals.Now he is not playing in ultra defensive systems like he did for Portugal and Southampton he is being shown up for his true ability.Even in our team ( limited protection ) Collins out performs him all the time.

Fonte is so bad and almost 34 I personally would give him away on a free transfer to save his £3m per year wages.
Hammer83

Postby carnage on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 am

Ferret wrote:
It does seem mental and this also down to our manager thinking he could turn Antonio into a world class RB or WB and we all know how that turned out :lol:

Conte turned Moses in to a right wing back. If Bilic was left alone to get on with it Antonio may have been as well. We had a great run of results with him at right back, played some great football and he looked better there and looked more threatening.
carnage

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:33 am

If tomkins is available and we are not interested in smalling or sakho then we should get the boy back.

rather him than fonte any day.

free transfer for fonte is the only way as no one will buy him, not even villa !

reid ogbonna tomkins collins is better than what we have.

should never have left for the nigels.
hammerman11

Postby ironilunga on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:48 am

carnage wrote:Conte turned Moses in to a right wing back. If Bilic was left alone to get on with it Antonio may have been as well.

Who told Bilic to stop playing Antonio at RB?

As for Fonte, well he has only been at the club a few months and already has been written off by many on here. He has a history of being a very decent premier league centre half and no reason to suggest he wont be for us. He is 33 not 38 and will be fine once he has settled in.
ironilunga

Postby smuts on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:11 am

The same could be said for Snodgrass Iron and the club have wrote him off already.....
smuts

Postby ironilunga on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 am

smuts wrote:The same could be said for Snodgrass Iron and the club have wrote him off already.....

Agreed. I think Snodgrass is one of the strangest signings I can recall. Another who has had a decent enough career in the premier league and who after a few months we are desperate to get out of the club. Surely more to that one than meets the eye. Not entirely sure what a loan does either. If that was the only option would it not have been better to keep him in and around the squad to add a bit of depth. Baffling.
ironilunga

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion