Robert Snodgrass signs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Robert Snodgrass signs

Postby smuts on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't think it's fickle to question why a senior international player seemed to want to pass the buck to a young RB trying to win the manager over and establish himself. Snodgrass got the ball, immediately turned away and just kicked it in the general direction of Byram to come and fetch and try and get the ball in. He was praised on here for running his nuts off in his first few games, that seems to have dried up. Maybe he isn't happy about being played on the right instead of the left?

Perhaps he wasn't fit. In which case I expect to see him pulled out of the Scotland squad tomorrow.
smuts

Postby Devs Hampton on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

ChzMff wrote:It was a comment based on the game yesterday. Nowhere did I write him off, label him a terrible signing or fall to the usual hysteria whereby people nowadays expect every new signing to come in and be pulling up trees from the off. I've seen a lot of posts about the changing face of football off the pitch. The fickleness of fans on players performance is certainly part of that. I look at our central midfield of last season, which many have up there as one of the best in recent times, yet all you hear now is how neither player are good enough for us there.

Pulling up trees would be a bonus (given he is a supposed established PL player also maybe not unreasonable?) but all I am commenting on is my disappointment and shock that he is not even doing the basics!
Devs Hampton

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:33 am

He impresse in his first couple of games, and also played well for hull - who happen to play against the same teams and same defences that we do so whether hull are a good team or not is a bit irrelevant. I'm not sure what has suddenly gone wrong. Could simply be a temporary spell of bad form, which most players have at some point or another. Or maybe he's not fit and playing with a minor injury.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 am

It seems to be a recurring theme of our recent transfers, players looking a shadow of who they were before we bought them.

Feghouli, Nordtveit, Tore, Snodgrass, Fonte, even Ayew to an extent, all looked top players until they joined the West Ham fun house
thejackhammer

Postby fmgod on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:He impresse in his first couple of games, and also played well for hull - who happen to play against the same teams and same defences that we do so whether hull are a good team or not is a bit irrelevant. I'm not sure what has suddenly gone wrong. Could simply be a temporary spell of bad form, which most players have at some point or another. Or maybe he's not fit and playing with a minor injury.

He wasn't even that good for Hull, he just looks good on MOTD etc because he sticks in a decent set piece, we basically signed Chris Eagles, he's just not a good player. I don't know who people thought we was getting, there's a reason his whole career has been Championship/constant relegation and we paid 10 mil for it
fmgod

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

I dunno... I can't say I've seen him week in week out for other times, but I've seen him in a few full games for hull and for norwich, and he's always looked better than he's shown in the last few matches here.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby brooking_1980 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

thejackhammer wrote:It seems to be a recurring theme of our recent transfers, players looking a shadow of who they were before we bought them.

Feghouli, Nordtveit, Tore, Snodgrass, Fonte, even Ayew to an extent, all looked top players until they joined the West Ham fun house

Yes, I really don't understand what's going on, behind the scenes, we were told it was all Payet fault, but he's gone and its still the same ? 1 or 2 you could understand, but 6 names above + Zaza, its deeper.
brooking_1980

Postby sanchoz on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Snodgrass not trying to beat his man out wide, choosing to instead pass back to a clearly shattered Sam Byram and not give him much option to either cross or take someone one was one of the more frustrating elements of Saturdays loss.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm

sanchoz wrote:Snodgrass not trying to beat his man out wide, choosing to instead pass back to a clearly shattered Sam Byram and not give him much option to either cross or take someone one was one of the more frustrating elements of Saturdays loss.

Snodgrass is not a winger. He has never been a player to take a man on and beat them

He clearly knows his limitations, so to blame him for not doing something he is adept at doing is a bit short sighted

He is at his best when he plays centrally and drifts wide, and can make an angle inside to whip a ball in
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby hammers92 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Said this at the time he signed and got pulled up for it, there was no point in signing him, no value and wait to see what our situation was in the summer in terms of other targets/league position

He's been awful and we shouldn't have signed him. What a complete waste of money. Was there against Southampton and that was it from him, done nothing else. Not gonna be nice about the guy, he's rubbish.
hammers92

Postby sanchoz on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Snodgrass is not a winger. He has never been a player to take a man on and beat them

He clearly knows his limitations, so to blame him for not doing something he is adept at doing is a bit short sighted

He is at his best when he plays centrally and drifts wide, and can make an angle inside to whip a ball in

He clearly knows when playing out wide with a side fully intent on sitting back and trying to soak up the pressure, he has to try and take his man on or hold the ball up for the full back to overlap and play him in. Instead he received the ball and looked to pass back, killing the chance to attack Leicester down their left more effectively then what we saw. If you are on the pitch and told to play wide, you do it to the best of your ability, not play as if you are centrally and drifting wide.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby EastleighHammer16 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm still waiting to see his famed set pieces.
EastleighHammer16

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Before signing, Snodgrass was at least one of the best direct free kick takers in the premier league - based on goals. At the same, the statistics show that he was also topping the charts for the amount of time a free-kick doesn't clear the wall.
Burnley Hammer

Postby chalks on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

God forbid we ever give a player time to settle at a new club
chalks
Sliding down his pole

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

chalks wrote:God forbid we ever give a player time to settle at a new club

Well said Chalks
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby hammers92 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm

He's 29 and was playing week in week out for Hull playing very well. Why should he be given time? Anyone we bring in from abroad then yeah, give them some time but this guy needs to step up, and soon
hammers92

Postby Ozza on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Maybe getting to know the players in the team, how they operate, how you communicate, what the manager is asking you to do, getting a gaff, your Mrs being settled etc etc?
Ozza

Postby smuts on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Sorry Chalks but he ran Byram into the ground on Saturday. He started off his first few games by putting a shift and giving Cresswell, etc a few volleys for not doing their bit so why the change? Perhaps he isn't fully fit after doing his ankle the other week.
smuts

Postby hammers92 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm

I'd like to think I'm pretty fair with my posts, but I honestly think this was a pointless signing.
hammers92

Postby chalks on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

hammers92 wrote:
He's 29 and was playing week in week out for Hull playing very well. Why should he be given time? Anyone we bring in from abroad then yeah, give them some time but this guy needs to step up, and soon

Yeah **** it, why should he! :thdn:
chalks
Sliding down his pole

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion