Robert Snodgrass signs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Robert Snodgrass signs

Postby Ozza on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm

hammers92 wrote:I'd like to think I'm pretty fair with my posts, but I honestly think this was a pointless signing.

I've been confused by our transfer policy all season
Ozza

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Didn't think he would be great for us but must say he has been massively underwhelming so far. In fact on Saturday he was piss poor even when we were on the up in the second half.
johnnyb

Postby steps on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Before we signed him there was talk on here of him fighting for every ball and a 'roll his socks up' and get on with it attitude that Payet lacked and that s what we needed in the squad.

I mentioned about the Norwich fans giving me pelters about signing him, and how he never put a shift in for them and mainly tried to coast through matches.

I will admit, at Southampton he looked good but in every game bar that he's looked a dreadful waste of money and a bizarre signing. David Gold said we were buying a seasoned Premiership pro but in reality bar this season for Hull the only other times he's played in the Prem it's been in teams that have gone on to be relegated.
steps

Postby The Sherriff on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

thejackhammer wrote:It seems to be a recurring theme of our recent transfers, players looking a shadow of who they were before we bought them.

Feghouli, Nordtveit, Tore, Snodgrass, Fonte, even Ayew to an extent, all looked top players until they joined the West Ham fun house

Did they?

Average players ...certainly not top draw.

Snodgrass is ok .... very good championship player, in the prime of his career he's suited to a PL team fighting relegation.

I wont dig him out as I think his price tag outweighs his ability. Not his fault but I'm unsure as to what people we're expecting - not as if this lad is new to English football. If folk we're thinking he was going to tear down trees and become a crowd favourite on account of being a wing wizard then its a bit misplaced.
The Sherriff

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

The Sherriff wrote:Did they?

Average players ...certainly not top draw.

Snodgrass is ok .... very good championship player, in the prime of his career he's suited to a PL team fighting relegation.

I wont dig him out as I think his price tag outweighs his ability. Not his fault but I'm unsure as to what people we're expecting - not as if this lad is new to English football. If folk we're thinking he was going to tear down trees and become a crowd favourite on account of being a wing wizard then its a bit misplaced.

OK, maybe you can't call some of them top players, but I think it's true that they all looked much better players for their previous clubs than they do for us. A lot of people on this forum were genuinely looking forward to seeing Tore. Nordtveit was highly regarded by his teams fans for his workrate, and was considered by many on here to be a shrewd piece of business on a free. Feghouli is also a player that was highly rated. Snodgrass had been Hulls most effective player this season. Yes, I know it's Hull but what difference does that make? He still faces the same defences that we do, and if anything it's far harder for an attacking player to make an impact at a team that's stuck at the bottom. And we don't want to put Hull down too much - a short run of bad results could easily put us within a handful of league places from them. At this moment in time, we're only 9 points better than them - which isn't much really. Fonte was a very highly thought of, and successful central defender, and Ayew performed very well for Swansea last season. He may not have been what we needed, but I still expected more from him in terms of performances. On the bright side... he does seem to be becoming more and more effective as time goes on.

Just about all those players should have worked out better than they have.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Jumby on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

steps wrote:Before we signed him there was talk on here of him fighting for every ball and a 'roll his socks up' and get on with it attitude that Payet lacked and that s what we needed in the squad.

I mentioned about the Norwich fans giving me pelters about signing him, and how he never put a shift in for them and mainly tried to coast through matches.

I will admit, at Southampton he looked good but in every game bar that he's looked a dreadful waste of money and a bizarre signing. David Gold said we were buying a seasoned Premiership pro but in reality bar this season for Hull the only other times he's played in the Prem it's been in teams that have gone on to be relegated.

Mate I was exactly the same, I've never rated him as a top half of the table Prem player, my Norwich supporting mates didn't either, when we were first linked I just thought 'oh f**k, here we go', then we get linked with Puncheon, then we sign this snail paced, one footed, heavily aged Scotsman for 10m because he has scored a few free kicks. On the subject of free kicks, Lanzini takes two f**king beauties, scores one and draws a save with the other, this pr!ck gets one, straight into the wall, that's supposed to be the one thing he's guaranteed to be good at!

Redmond 11/12m - just turned 23
Snodgrass 10m - 30 in 5 months

I don't know if I'd want either as Redmond still lacks a consistent end product but we needed a wide player in the summer, we signed Tore, hasn't worked out, now we've signed Snodgrass, it doesn't appear to be working, that's more than Redmond cost.
Jumby

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

fegouli and snodgrass are squad players at best. Redmond was always a class player albeit inconsistent.

fegouli will be sold in the summer I would guess as there was some interest at arond the 10m mark.
snodgrass will be with us and will hopefully improve. he was poor on saturday and did little to support byram who was under pressure but passed the test.

If we sign a few quality players then snodgrass will be on the bench most of the time.

10m wasted at present. however there is time for him to come good and with the current injuries he will get some more time on the pitch. I do not want to see him booed as we have some players. He wears the shirt so I will support him fully.
hammerman11

Postby HammersChat on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 am

Hull built a team around Snodgrass, the other ten were set up to get the best out of him where we do not (and shouldn't). There's a reason only Burnley came in for him, and in my opinion, that was to scare Norwich into selling Brady.
HammersChat

Postby szola on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am

hammers92 wrote:I'd like to think I'm pretty fair with my posts, but I honestly think this was a pointless signing.

Ozza wrote:I've been confused by our transfer policy all season

Apart from Snodgrass, we have Feghouli, Ayew and Antonio who can play in attacking roles on the wings, behind the striker. Not that pointless.

Having said that, if we don't use Antonio as a striker, and don't trust either Fletcher nor Calleri to deliver, Sakho still injured and return date unknown, we might have altered our priorities and brought a striker, such as Defoe...
szola

Postby steps on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am

Brady was always leaving Norwich. He said he wanted out after Euro 2016.

It was just a case of getting the best price available for him.
steps

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Brady isn't good enough for us.
Last edited by Jumby on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Edit - Double post!
Jumby

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:41 pm

With Antonio injured we only have Snodgrass, Feghouli and Ayew as wide players, we probably could have found better but you can hardly say we didn't need him.
thejackhammer

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 pm

I had hoped that by next season Samuelsen would have pushed on enough, at the age of 20, to be in contention for a place on the bench and that would have made this panic buy a bit easier to stomach, he can't get off the bench for Peterborough though.
Jumby

Postby Ifebbubbles on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Jumby wrote:I had hoped that by next season Samuelsen would have pushed on enough, at the age of 20, to be in contention for a place on the bench and that would have made this panic buy a bit easier to stomach, he can't get off the bench for Peterborough though.

He clearly isn't progressing then. I remember seeing him playing in the cup last season for them live on bbc, and he was the best player on the pitch.
Ifebbubbles

Postby fmgod on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 pm

He was the best player at beating his man, his final ball was dreadful
fmgod

Postby Happyhammer52 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Pretty rank rotten for Scotland last night against Canada, certainly didn't stand out as a £10 million pound player. Then again the whole side was poor as ever, maybe with the exception of Cairney (Fulham lad).

I mentioned it when we signed him, but I would not be so surprised to see us go for Dembele of Celtic in the summer and offer Snodgrass as part of the deal.
Happyhammer52

Postby Jumby on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Snoddy and 20m for Dembele, if only we'd pulled our fingers out earlier eh?
Jumby

Postby Lostcoco on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Lostcoco

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Perhaps we bought Snodgrass to help us get back up into the PL next season?
TheHandOfDog

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion