Robert Snodgrass signs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Robert Snodgrass signs

Postby GreenStHammer on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am

He won't be getting set pieces with jaoa Mario here. So I don't see where they goals would come from though. That's my only reservation
GreenStHammer

Postby Mayday on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:08 am

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
i know of at least one former player that has enquired and he is considered a legend

It must be Danny Williamson. Whatever happened to him?
Mayday

Postby Jumby on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 am

Mayday wrote:It must be Danny Williamson. Whatever happened to him?

What a player he looked like he was going to be, I was gutted when Redknapp sold him for money and the hen pecked one. An ankle injury at Everton ended his career. I'll never forget that goal against table topping Newcastle.
Jumby

Postby Colours never run on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 am

I'd love to see him invited back for a pitchside interview during half time. I reckon he'd be very warmly received and appreciated after all these years. He had real ability and shame injury curtailed his career before it really got started.
Colours never run

Location: Beneath the Directors Box searching for coins but fortunes always hiding..

Postby hammerleroy on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:58 am

If any ex-player is on this march it has to be Galey. Mind, they better not march too quickly!!! :lol:
hammerleroy

Postby LeonRivers on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:59 pm

I like to think that the manager will be given the opportunity to take a look at him in pre-season and decide if he can contribute.
LeonRivers

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm

I still find it difficult to see where he is supposed to fit in.

When he arrived under Slaven we already had loads of wide players so it seemed a curious signing, and we don't play wide midfielders under Moyes.

A Villa promotion is probably the best thing for Snodders and ourselves. He seems to be a bit of a hit with them and the fans seem to have taken to him.
bubbles1966

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm

He'll be 31 in September, and is one of the players bumping our squads average age towards 29 .

By contrast the average age of Tottenham's squad is just 26.

If we can persuade Villa to give us a half decent fee I'd sell him in the summer.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am

I get it regarding his age, etc but had we known what the last summer window would be like then I'd have wanted us to keep Snodgrass as an option. There's been times this season when we've been short out right. He'd have been better than what we had or at least a good filler.

Players need time to settle. He arrived here at the wrong time for him and wasn't given the to settle. I never thought he was a bad player and whilst it may well be for the best that he just moves on but if he comes back I will of course wish him well.

ps - good player, Danny Williamson. Gutted when he left here. Great shame about his injury.
DaveWHU1964

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 am

bubbles1966 wrote: we don't play wide midfielders under Moyes.

Is that because he doesn't want to (ever), because our defensive options suit three at the back or because we don't have any wide midfielders (or at least we didn't prior to Antonio's recent return to fitness).

IMO, he's had none to play since he took over.
LeonRivers

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 am

the pink palermo wrote:He'll be 31 in September, and is one of the players bumping our squads average age towards 29 .

Strange comparison. What's the average age of the squads that are winning trophies?
LeonRivers

Postby Jumby on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 am

If we didn't have Snodgrass, just say he was at Villa permanently, would we be looking at his, overall fairly decent, displays in the second tier of English football and think "that's a player that would do well for us, we could do with Robert Snodgrass", I don't think we would.

With Snodgrass there is also the case of squad unity and discipline, he was happy to criticise Bilic to the Media and even when he was with us he was moaning to them saying he wasn't being played in his preferred position. No, f**k this, he collected his money and did f**k all and whined making excuses. A professional footballer should be able to do a lot better than he did, in a West Ham shirt, it wasn't as if he'd never played left midfield before or that he was being asked to play right back.
Jumby

Postby hammers92 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 am

It’s truly amazing how people want him back. His best part of his career was a few months for Hull, aside from that he’s a championship player. Leave him where he is.
hammers92

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 am

Jumby wrote:If we didn't have Snodgrass, just say he was at Villa permanently, would we be looking at his, overall fairly decent, displays in the second tier of English football and think "that's a player that would do well for us, we could do with Robert Snodgrass", I don't think we would.

With Snodgrass there is also the case of squad unity and discipline, he was happy to criticise Bilic to the Media and even when he was with us he was moaning to them saying he wasn't being played in his preferred position. No, f**k this, he collected his money and did f**k all and whined making excuses. A professional footballer should be able to do a lot better than he did, in a West Ham shirt, it wasn't as if he'd never played left midfield before or that he was being asked to play right back.

Spot on Jumby.

:thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:02 am

the pink palermo wrote:He'll be 31 in September, and is one of the players bumping our squads average age towards 29 .

LeonRivers wrote:
Strange comparison. What's the average age of the squads that are winning trophies?

In this country the league winners in 2009-2017 had an average age of 26.91 years .The average in the big 5 European leagues is 26.5 years.

Kind of puts THFC in a good place to win the league in their first season at their rebuilt ground. That's what a cohesive recruitment strategy does for you.

Meanwhile, our squad will be older than a Cypriot team .........

You win nothing with pensioners , as Alan Hansen wishes he had said.

CIES Football observatory report
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Hamburger on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:36 am

Getting Snoddy back would probably deplete Holland’s chances of games and also Bamba if we signed him. I agree with PP, time to build anew not to plaster over with old lags again.
Last edited by Hamburger on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hamburger

Postby goa127 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 am

We're not looking to sign him he's our player. The decision is whether we try and sell him or keep him. I was pleased when we signed him, but there's no doubt it didn't work out how I'd expected. Assuming he's still here I'm sure Moyes will soon work out whether he can use him or not.
goa127

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 am

Selling him is approximately £11m off the books + any fee we receive.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am

keeping him, will tell us all we need to know about the clubs ambitions.

Sullivan: "Sorry David I'm afraid it's Snodgrass or nothing"

Moyes:

somerset-hammer

Postby hoptony on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Does Snodgrass actually want to come back to us? - that's another question to ask. If Villa get promoted, whose claret and blue shirt would he prefer?. Yes he's under contract, so does it matter what he wants? After all he was a 'PAYET' panic buy replacement?
hoptony

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion