Robert Snodgrass signs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Robert Snodgrass signs

Postby Hemel Iron on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Snodgrass is really looking like a whinging turd with all this carry on. As stated many times, he was poor everywhere and needs to accept that. Hope we agree a permanent fee to get shot before the loan ends as he'd be utterly hated if he came back.
Hemel Iron

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Iron-worx wrote:Doubtless Snodgrass is peeved...

But I don't think this is all about Snodgrass as he's far from the only player to have come here in recent times with a reasonable reputation and to have bombed.

There's more than a bit drastically wrong with our set up and there are doubtless elements of truth in what he's saying.

siding with the moaning old scot who ****ed off to make excuses in the loving bosom of steve bruce having never had a decent game for your club? had a fair number of games down the right and looked just as bad as he did down the left. remember the england vs. scotland game, he was worst player on the pitch.

typical of the modern support really, knives well and truly out.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Hammer83 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:21 pm

When was the last time a Scottish player had a good long run in the premier league to be considered a success serious question ? Off the top of my head I'm going as far back as Gary Mcallister. Basically the scots Produce crap.
Hammer83

Postby Iron-worx on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:had a fair number of games down the right and looked just as bad as he did down the left. remember the england vs. scotland game, he was worst player on the pitch.

Yes that describes Snodgrass...

But it also describes Zaza, Fonte, Arbeloa, Nordtveit, Tore, Feghouli...

The best part of an entire team

We are bringing in players with reasonable reputations and sending them away with lesser reputations.

Listen to what the moaning old Scot is saying for two seconds because based on all the other very similar things that have happened that aren't Snodgrass there might just be one or two bits of truth in there for those with half a brain to learn from.
Iron-worx

Postby Hayden on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes he was crap for us, but maybe having that said to you before you make your debut is quite off-putting. A manager who asks you where you play?

Glad to see him gone but what he has said is kind of terrifying but the most worrying thing is I don't doubt for a second that it's true. I am convinced more and more that although the players probably LIKE Slav, they don't have enough faith in him.
Hayden

Postby Ozza on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Seriously wouldn't you as part of signing for the club discuss how you are going to be utilised with the bloke who is going to be your boss? Stinks, I don't think he was ever Slav's pick which is ridiculous.

He also seemed happy to sign up for a shed load of cash without discussing how he fitted in the club?

**** off Snoopy
Ozza

Postby sgb1972 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Glad he's gone because he's been terrible for us.

But........

I don't get this why didn't he ask where he was going to play? He impressed for Hull playing on the right, as he had most of his career - if someone bought you for £10m fair to assume that club has liked what they've seen and want you to produce the same for them. If Gary Neville had been bought in his prime he wouldnt expect to have been played left back.

Sounds like either Slav didn't choose him and as such hadn't studied his game, or he did but wasn't sure how to fit him into the set up.

Either way, a p!ss poor scenario, and a significant waste of transfer funds.

We're looking very amateurish at present.
sgb1972

Postby Colours never run on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:
siding with the moaning old scot who ****ed off to make excuses in the loving bosom of steve bruce having never had a decent game for your club? had a fair number of games down the right and looked just as bad as he did down the left. remember the england vs. scotland game, he was worst player on the pitch.

typical of the modern support really, knives well and truly out.

That's how I took it also. I'd give more weight to what Snodgrass was saying if it was a regular under Bilic who had been here longer than 5 minutes or 1 who isn't a mardy prima dona.

Also, shoukdnt he be concentrating more on his career in the Championship, rather than keep hurling **** back towards his parent Club that pay most of his wages? Don't like that type of character and reveals something of the player more than the manager he's criticising (who I did give him every opportunity to impress all over the attacking midfield posotions). Think I'll trust Bilic on this occasion, just like he ****ed off Amalfitano after his dummy throwing exercise, wonder what he's up to these days too..
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:57 pm

My_Sobriquet wrote:If slaven actually said to him before coming on "where do you want to play" then that is terrifying.

Yep, it's a big ''if'' but IF this is true then it damns Bilic regardless of who was behind the signing.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Colours never run on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm

The time he came on halfway into the 2nd half with us already 3-0 down to Man City clearly heading for a defeat, Bilic probably realised the game was up anyway and it didnt matter much where he played him at that point and just asked him where he'd like to play for a brief run out on his debut.

If he started the game and said that, then maybe there's more to it but I'm not so sure.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby De Niro on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 am

Looks like he mainly played on the right to me....he just wasn't the main man like at Hull.

De Niro

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 am

Hammer83 wrote:When was the last time a Scottish player had a good long run in the premier league to be considered a success serious question ? Off the top of my head I'm going as far back as Gary Mcallister. Basically the scots Produce crap.

Darren Fletcher?

Highly regarded at Man Utd.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 am

Hammer83 wrote:When was the last time a Scottish player had a good long run in the premier league to be considered a success serious question ? Off the top of my head I'm going as far back as Gary Mcallister. Basically the scots Produce crap.

Think it might have been Denis Law
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby OFT on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 am

Bloody 'pro' footballer in 'he said , she said on the feckin seashore'

Does my head in.

It's true, we currently do have a thing for turning the reasonable into the 'shocking' but Snodders had better have the season of his life at Villa or risk looking a bigger twot than he does at the minute.
OFT

Postby Believer on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 am

Hayden wrote:Yes he was crap for us, but maybe having that said to you before you make your debut is quite off-putting. A manager who asks you where you play?

Glad to see him gone but what he has said is kind of terrifying but the most worrying thing is I don't doubt for a second that it's true. I am convinced more and more that although the players probably LIKE Slav, they don't have enough faith in him.

The fact the manager asked where he plays probably emphasises that he wasn't signed by the manager. Another player enforced on him !
Believer

Postby Hammer83 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

Ha I forgot about Darren Fletcher :oops: do we have any more I am still struggling?
Hammer83

Postby e17 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am

Championship level footballer. A gobby Matt Jarvis.

It's quite clear from his comments that he was one of those toxic types that any club with the ambition to progress in the top flight would be mental to sign now. Had his chance here but simply was not good enough to play for West Ham United. Sadly his mouthing off to the press was not exemplified by his presence on the pitch, where he appeared to be a bit of an invisible bottle job who was simply out of his depth.

Back in the day, the bloke would have been seen as a bit of a Beauchamp for undermining a WHU manager, but it's standard and rife in the modern game.
e17

Postby Colours never run on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

The really stupid part on his behalf by gobbing off like he has with barely a foot out of the door, is he's only on Loan and we are still his parent Club. He wants to hope and pray he plays so good for Villa it'll make it too hard for them to make it a permanent otherwise he risks coming back with his tail between his legs.
Colours never run

Postby e17 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 am

Colours never run wrote:The really stupid part on his behalf by gobbing off like he has with barely a foot out of the door, is he's only on Loan and we are still his parent Club. He wants to hope and pray he plays so good for Villa it'll make it too hard for them to make it a permanent otherwise he risks coming back with his tail between his legs.

Alternatively, deep down he's aware that we'd have to be brutally short to ever see him near a starting 11 for us again anyway and is banking on floating between the Fulham's and Derby's down there. He got found at WHU however he wants to dress it up, which is why he's on loan to that lot and not Newcastle or Huddersfield

Simply not good enough for this level.
e17

Postby sendô on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:48 am

People seem really quick to coat him off because he's having a moan about our club, without really looking at what he is saying, or even acknowledging the facts.

We've all moaned about Bilic and his apparent lack of "a plan", and we've all moaned about the seemingly haphazard nature of our signings (are they Bilic's or Sullivan's?), and yet when Snodgrass moans that he was put on the left when he was expecting to be on the right it's all his fault.

The reality is Snodgrass came to us having played really well and looked a good solid top half PL player despite being part of an awful Hull team - we then somehow conspired to somehow make him look like a player only good enough for mid table Championship side Aston Villa.

He isn't the only one - as pointed out above. Fonte, Hart, Nordveit, Zabaletta, Zaza, Ogbonna, Feghouli and so on. All joined as good players, all have looked **** for us.

No doubt there is a level of blame to be levelled at Snodgrass here. He's not exactly looked the most energetic at times, but to dismiss it all as him moaning simply because he isn't good enough for West Ham is churlish at best - you only need to look at our current position in the table to see that.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion