Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by D C »

Supersoulfighter wrote: Not digging you out personally on this, just using your quote as its something often said on here. My thinking is, maybe we need someone who will "do a job"? Currently up front we have Carroll with his fitness issues, the perennially absent Sakho, the sub-par Calleri and the young Fletcher. We've not a had a consistently playing and scoring forward for far too long.
Fair enough and I'm not saying we don't need a striker or two it just seems like potential bad business. My issue is that we seem to sign players on loan or for the squad to 'do a job' for far too long and it usually leaves us having to replace players who return to their parent club or try to flog some average squad players every year. Like Yorks said I'd rather use his fee and wages on someone younger who we could hopefully at least get our money back on.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3499 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Casillas wants London move:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=131139
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Patito wrote:

You'll find his answer on any of the last 794 pages of the Summer Transfer Thread.
Really?
I hadn't noticed 8-)
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

I'd made up my mind on Snodgrass back in 2013 and since then he's done nothing to convince me that he's good enough for a top ten Premier League side. The bloke has already been relegated twice from the Prem and was on course, and still might be, for third in four seasons.

You're quite right about Tore, he did look poor, I'd never deny that, and I'll admit I'm glad he's gone. I just want us to have real quality in the first 14 players or so and a mixture of youth and solid back ups after that, instead we've not even got a solid first eleven.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It does seem that, as a site, there is no appreciation of players who aren't flying in your first team but do a job in the squad. Take Valencia: Everton have no real interest in starting him but he's not coated off as rubbish and does a job in cameos.

Snodgrass seems to have fallen into the trap of "good or bad" at West Ham. Feghouli and Valencia would be two more examples of that, as Masuaku may end up being. Hell, I thought Nordtveit showed a very good account of himself against Liverpool in a position that still wasn't his strongest. A little patience might not go amiss, and a wider view on how we make up the squad.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Everton didn't pay 12.5m for Enner Valencia with the intention if him being a first eleven player.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

YorksHammer wrote:Quite genuinely, I would be happier with a window where we signed Lafont, Veltman, Onyekuru, Dimata, and Blin over one where we signed Hart, Zabaleta, Defoe, and Batshuayi. It would suggest we're actually scouting players rather than buying on reputation.
I don't know. Maybe because I'm old and don't play Championship Manager anymore but who is to say all of these players are going to translate that form into one of, if not the worlds, hardest league?

I would actually favour players, ideally British, with a 'reputation', who have been there and done it, mixed with these types of unknowns.
Andy Carroll

Post by Andy Carroll »

Pulls up Trees wrote:I'd scrap the lot bar Reid, Obiang, Lanzini and Antonio and start again.

How much would we get from that cull?
A ticket straight to the championship.
HammermanDan
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by HammermanDan »

I would love to see us pay what it takes for Loftus-Cheek. Gonna be a star, and built for this league
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Hart, Zabaleta, Defoe, and Batshuayi. would take that lot now.

agree that there is no resale in defoe and zabaleta but they would improve us now and give us another year to find the younger players to replace them. This isnot ideal but can we afford another bad window where a load of unknown players join us with reputations abroad who fail to click like last summer.

zabaleta and defoe would be on frees plus wages.

Batshuayi on a loan deal if possible as he is still largely untested at premier league level although comes with a good reputation for scoring goals.

Hart would cost us around 15m plus big fees. But would be GK for next 5 years. He would also help us attract better players and sort defence out.

The only other player I would want in would be siggurdsson from swansea. 27 yrs, proven midfielder in premier league. would cost around 25 - 30m plus big wages but instantly improves our team and options.
Him and lanzini in midfield for the next 5 years would be fantastic.

so around 45m spent on fees plus wages should be acceptable to our board.
outs could raise randolph 5m valencia 8m . Reduce wages on following going: tore,callerei,ardeola.

I reckon with something similar we would have a much better season and challenge top 8 plus a good cup run.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

^^^^^
All that's missing is "I've Got You Babe" on my clock radio!
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Phil? Phil Connors? :lol:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I would take Defoe if he's an as well as not an instead of.

We need to get that first team long term striker as well. Defoe would just be kicking the can down the road, Iheanacho, Batshuayi, etc would be picking the can up, and putting it in the bin.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Would expect our owners to be all over Casillas.

Would also expect he'll sign for Arsenal though.

I'll then expect calls of "We should have been all over that" when he does.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Jumby wrote:Everton didn't pay 12.5m for Enner Valencia with the intention if him being a first eleven player.
err i'm confused by this
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Patito wrote:Would expect our owners to be all over Casillas.

Would also expect he'll sign for Arsenal though.

I'll then expect calls of "We should have been all over that" when he does.
why would they sign him when they have Cech?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

HammermanDan wrote:I would love to see us pay what it takes for Loftus-Cheek. Gonna be a star, and built for this league
on 60k a week at Chelsea, I'd say for a player that's yet to do it, his salary is already above what we would pay.

Chelsea are ****ing football
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ozza wrote:

Arsenal have spent the last decade signing players for positions in which they already have sorted out. :D

In all seriousness, I did forget they had Cech though, maybe we have a chance. I'm sure Arbeloa will give Iker a glowing reference.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ozza wrote:

Because he's not as good as he once was. He's still good, mind you, but approaching his twilight years and a club with vision has to have one eye on the future and this is probably the reason they will move for Rui Patricio, who I would love to see as our GK, but there is f*** all chance of that happening
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Blooming heck if Cech is reaching his twilight years then what's Casillas (I know he's a year older)?