Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ozza wrote:Blooming heck if Cech is reaching his twilight years then what's Casillas (I know he's a year older)?

Which is the very essence of my post.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

ChzMff wrote:I don't know. Maybe because I'm old and don't play Championship Manager anymore but who is to say all of these players are going to translate that form into one of, if not the worlds, hardest league?

I would actually favour players, ideally British, with a 'reputation', who have been there and done it, mixed with these types of unknowns.
Nothing, but equally we didn't really know that Payet, Lanzini, Kouyate, Reid, Cresswell, Antonio and the like would translate their form into the Premier League either.

Hart, for example, has made six defensive errors this season (based on Squawka) - reputation or not, that's one ever four games or so. He's under more pressure playing for Torino than he was at City because they're a midtable team in Serie A compared to a top of the league team here, so gets attacked more often. What's to say that's not the form he'd bring here?

Batshuayi might have a reputation but it's only built on what he offered in Ligue 1. There's no proof he would prosper here at all other than that, yet people are desperate for him. I think he'd offer a lot, for sure, but on a loan to buy that would probably still be reasonably costly, I think I'd rather we invested in a future prospect that has good form currently.

Defoe is 35 in October - vegan diet and ice chambers be damned, he's a short-term fix at best. Zabaleta is 32, so it's another sticking plaster in my opinion.

Every signing has a risk associated to it. We signed a player with 7 goals and 3 assists for Hull in January who has offered nothing significant for us since. So in my opinion we'd be better of risking it on a youngster who can improve rather than older players who likely won't.
Patito

Post by Patito »

YorksHammer wrote: Every signing has a risk associated to it. We signed a player with 7 goals and 3 assists for Hull in January who has offered nothing significant for us since. So in my opinion we'd be better of risking it on a youngster who can improve rather than older players who likely won't.

We should be going for both Re: the striker.

We need a reliable goal-scorer now. They would also be someone who the younger striker could learn from, there also wouldn't be the pressure on the younger striker to score from the off either. Would give them a bit of time to settle in and hit their stride.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Patito wrote:
Arsenal have spent the last decade signing players for positions in which they already have sorted out. :D

In all seriousness, I did forget they had Cech though, maybe we have a chance. I'm sure Arbeloa will give Iker a glowing reference.
I doubt theyre on talking terms, different sides of the dressing room split under Mourinho. Anyway Iker looked well past it a couple of years ago and I doubt his skill set would have been best used in the PL even at his peak.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

It would be just like us to spooge a load of money on a big name but not necesarily big talent goalkeeper. We'd be far better spending less on someone lower profile and spending the rest elsewhere.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Can people stop giving Hammerman11 grief?
I'm collecting his posts for a Christmas coffee book, provisionally titled:
Ardebola
The same f***ing thing on every page
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

spod wrote:Can people stop giving Hammerman11 grief?
Ardebola
'Nordshite to Nordsvelt: one man's journey of self discovery'

Would be my title.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I don't see the point in signing Joe Hart if indeed we are even in the market for him. Hart = Adrian = Randolph in my opinion. We can alternate the 2 decent keepers we have depending on form and injury. None of the 3 are top keepers and for the money we'd have to pay out for the minimal difference if any we should be looking at other areas of the squad.

What worries me is because "Joe Hart" is a household name the liars would be crowing about it on every form of media known to man in their usual North Korean brainwash look at us everybody we're world class manner.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

spod wrote:Can people stop giving Hammerman11 grief?
Ardebola
He seems to think if he says it enough times it will happen :lol:
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

thejackhammer wrote:I would take Defoe if he's an as well as not an instead of.
This. The bloke scores goals, there is nothing else to it. Yes he is old, but goals are goals. I say the same thing about young players too.
If you are good enough, you are old/young enough. If we signed him, as well as another striker then we are winning. Defoe, Carroll +1 is a strong strikeforce IMO.

Valencia potentially off to Everton which would be a fantastic piece of business - look like we are getting our money back there. Hopefully we can get rid of Sakho?
We still have Martinez and Fletcher next year too - maybe send one to the Championship and have the other as 4th choice if Sakho goes.

I like Loftus-Cheek too, have rated him whenever I have seen him the last 2 years, but didn't know he was on circa 60k pw. (and Chalobah and Ake from Chelsea too fwiw).

Sadly out of our price range it would seem, but a good addition alongside Obiang and Lanzini in midfield.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Joe Hart is definitely an upgrade on what we have in goal now, but my main problem would be whether GK needs upgrading ahead of more vital parts in our team. The wages he would be on alone would be better spent on other positions. I just hope we do our business early ala Big Sam and don't end up scrapping around on deadline day. Say what you want about Allardyce but he knew what he wanted and he went and got it early on and with no fuss.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Get the right back first, then the striker and then the GK. Whatever is available after that then whatever
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Just an off the cuff thought given Brexit today. There is the possibility that should things all go seriously wrong financially in the UK then it might be prudent by the owners at this moment in time that we do not invest heavily in expensive players on long term contracts? Obviously that applies to all English football teams but it's very much a case of damned if they do or don't. Nobody can really predict what is going to happen. I suppose the only slightly positive thought is that we could return to seeing more local players raised through the academy who we can identify with like in the past, and on much less money.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I know we are well stocked up with young centre backs but a lad from where I live in Cork made his international debut last night for the Republic of Ireland.

John Egan plays for Brentford and I think he is a great prospect.

He is 24 now so not really one for the future and as a school kid playing for local club Greenwood he was head and shoulders the best schoolkid in the country back then.

Gets his fair share of goals too, Sunderland left him go on a free a few years ago and I think they will regret that fairly soon.

His dad ( same name ) was one of the best Gaelic footballers of all time.

As I said I know we have a few already but thought I would mention it anyway. :)
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Goal keepers are an odd one to assess, I like Adrian and are happy with him as a number one, going on this seasons stats Joel Robles is one of the best keepers in the league yet no one would be happy with him but then I like my goalkeepers old style so give me someone like Buffon over Neur/De Gea anyday
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

kitthehammer wrote:Just an off the cuff thought given Brexit today. There is the possibility that should things all go seriously wrong financially in the UK then it might be prudent by the owners at this moment in time that we do not invest heavily in expensive players on long term contracts? Obviously that applies to all English football teams but it's very much a case of damned if they do or don't. Nobody can really predict what is going to happen. I suppose the only slightly positive thought is that we could return to seeing more local players raised through the academy who we can identify with like in the past, and on much less money.
Brexit is the new FFP? Is that you David?
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

kitthehammer wrote:Just an off the cuff thought given Brexit today. There is the possibility that should things all go seriously wrong financially in the UK then it might be prudent by the owners at this moment in time that we do not invest heavily in expensive players on long term contracts? Obviously that applies to all English football teams but it's very much a case of damned if they do or don't. Nobody can really predict what is going to happen. I suppose the only slightly positive thought is that we could return to seeing more local players raised through the academy who we can identify with like in the past, and on much less money.
The plus side might be that the pound drops making the purchase of the club a lot more interesting for foreign buyers
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Ozza wrote: err i'm confused by this
It was in relation to the previous poster saying that Everton don't ave high expectations of Enner and are happy giving him the odd cameo and the fans are content with him, my point being that they aren't the ones that paid 12.5m for him with the intention being that he'd become a first team regular.

I probably should have just quoted Wilko's post :lol:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Iker Cassilas, the same Iker Cassilas that Adrian was pushing out of the Spain squad not so long ago?
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

ahhh got ya, cheers Jumby