Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by hammerddh »

Peaches wrote:I think we should start our summer purchases with 3 out of contract players : Martin Kelly (right back), Charlie Taylor (left back) and Dale Stephens (central midfield). All home grown, all at least as good as what we have now in their current positions. Kelly addresses our right back issue and can play centre back and is a more defensive right back to Byram's attacking leaning.
I honestly think Charlie Taylor is a better left back than Creswell, not as good gong forward, but better defending. It would allow Creswell or Masuaku to play at left midfield which would help balance the side and plays to their crossing abilities.
Dale Stephens is reminiscent of a young Kevin Nolan when he was still mobile and not just someone to play as a foil to a big front man. He is easily a more responsible midfielder than Kouyate and a better passer and more of a goal threat. He is also a leader.
None of the three are fancy signings, but none would demand stupid wages and are exactly the kind of players clubs like Everton, Southampton and a few years ago Tottenham would sign and get great mileage and production from. I think the three of them would be covered by Calleri and Tore's wages, not to mention Arbeloa,
If bring in those 3 on "frees" it would leave us in a position to spend the budget on a goalkeeper, and a couple of strikers and would also allow us to sell one of our left backs and one of our central midfielders.
i like the cut of your job peaches.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Charlie Taylor has been rubbish this season. So bad, in fact, that Leeds now play a right-back at left-back instead of Taylor.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Peaches wrote: I honestly think Charlie Taylor is a better left back than Creswell, not as good gong forward, but better defending.
I'm intrigued, based on what, getting dropped from the first team at a Championship club? Cresswell was the best left back in the Championship when we signed him, he's still a very good left back in the Prem, he just lost a bit of form in a dodgy side that's not exactly set up in a full back friendly way. We've got Musuaku and we've got Cress, we don't someone off of Leeds subs bench.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Charlie Taylor is at least partly not playing due to contractual issues
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

JLCABA wrote:
A Sampdoria fan championing a Genoa player ?
Wow :shock:
Haha.

The last time I championed a Samp player on here we signed him...hoping it happens again and weakens Genoa at the same time...but as Yorks said, probably got to wait and see how he recovers first.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Zabeleta starting in the Manchester derby, but according to some on here not good enough for us next season :lol:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Ifebbubbles wrote:Zabeleta starting in the Manchester derby, but according to some on here not good enough for us next season :lol:
I wouldn't trust any of Pep's view when it comes to defenders, Martial gone past him a few times already
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

fmgod wrote: I wouldn't trust any of Pep's view when it comes to defenders, Martial gone past him a few times already
A few times?

Considerably less than he goes past our lot in 45 minutes then.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Ifebbubbles wrote:
A few times?

Considerably less than he goes past our lot in 45 minutes then.
Stick him in our team he will get ruined, would be far more exposed, his finished, same as Ivanvoic at Chelsea went. I mean they've even been playing bleeding Jesus Navas at right back and the lad is scared of his own shadow
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Messi would be finished if he came to Westham

End of the day Zabeletta is a million miles better than the options currently available at right back.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

His not, I don't rate Bryam massively but there probably isn't much in it aside from name value, we need a proper right back who can be there for the next 6 years at least, not a 33 year old legs have gone has been on massive wages
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

fmgod wrote:His not, I don't rate Bryam massively but there probably isn't much in it aside from name value, we need a proper right back who can be there for the next 6 years at least, not a 33 year old legs have gone has been on massive wages
Legs gone?
I just saw him match Rashford in a sprint.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Signing Zabaleta is nothing more than a Band Aid. Proper ***** sully signing, might do a job for us for 6 months perhaps. We're interested because he's cheap, Rb position at West Ham needs huge investment which it obvs isn't going to get.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I would be happy with Zabaleta, but I think Martin Kelly would be an equally good and more defensive option on less wages and is home grown and 6 years younger.
We'd all like to sign Trippier, but that will never happen even if we did put up the money.
Charlie Taylor is not playing for contractual reasons. He may have had a bad game or two but he has still been far better defensively this year than Creswell. His signature defensive move isn't to back away and stick out a leg to try and most of the time fail to block an incoming cross.
Watch some YouTube of Stephens and you will see what I mean.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Peaches wrote: Charlie Taylor is not playing for contractual reasons. He may have had a bad game or two but he has still been far better defensively this year than Creswell.

No he hasn't, he's been dire pretty much every time he has played. He was dropped due to poor form.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Patito wrote:No he hasn't, he's been dire pretty much every time he has played. He was dropped due to poor form.
He was - although possibly because his head was turned in January and he had a niggling injury he couldn't shake over the winter. He was good for them August-November, the local papers here were saying it should be Leeds' priority to sign him to a new contract. When he refused, there were lots of stories about him securing a move in January plus he was out injured.

If Cresswell were to move on, we could start Masuaku and use Taylor as a back up. I don't think that would significantly weaken us. I wouldn't sign a LB if we are not selling one of our current two, though.
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

Zabaleta needs a defensive team where he gets plenty of protection for him to still look decent in his later years. So that's not us if Bilic's staying especially when you add the fact he definitely cant play wing back at this stage of his career.

If we had Benitez or Mancini's brand of football however...
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

We don't need a LB, we won't find an improvement on Cresswell and Arthur wothout spending big money, big money that is needed on different positions.

Charlie Taylor and Martin Kelly. Christ.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

At the moment I'm more concerned about who will leave this summer... I could see at least 3 of our first team choices looking elsewhere....

Then add that possibility to who needs to go and who have gone since last summer window.... and we are really going to need a lot of careful planning...

At the moment I think we still need at least 4/5 players to put us back to where we were before last summer season started.... then add to that how many we need to try and push forward and improve ... and then the risk of replacing what ever players we actually want that may move on...

This transfer window I believe is going to be very very hard just to standstill let alone push on ...
Patito

Post by Patito »

Fishdo wrote: This transfer window I believe is going to be very very hard just to standstill let alone push on ...

I wish the owners had realised this 12 months ago!