Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by YorksHammer »

We'll get £13.5m for Valencia if (possibly a big if...) Everton take up their option, right? Or was it £14.5m? Something in that region.

Feghouli's market value on Transfermarkt hasn't been below £10m since 2013. To be honest, I'd say we were selling too cheap at that price - his history is good enough to warrant a better fee. Wouldn't sell anyway as he's starting to show himself as a useful player for us recently, with 2 goals and 3 assists in the last three months. Would probably cost us double that to replace him.

As for Nordtveit - if we sold him for less than £5m after one season with us we'd be mad, in my opinion. £5m is spare change for most teams now, including abroad.

£30m could turn out to be a quite conservative estimate for selling those three.

We also, very boringly, need to be wary of our homegrown quota - we only have 9 homegrown players in the squad, and one is Sam Westley who we're forced to name as there's a spot free. If we sell any of them, we should replace with a homegrown name - so that's Antonio, Byram, Carroll, Collins, Cresswell, Noble, Nordtveit, Randolph. Lose two of those and we pretty much have to sign a homegrown player this window. It's not all together that major, but it just restricts our overage squad if we don't utilise our quota.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HornchruchHammer

Post by HornchruchHammer »

I love the optimism of this thread (genuinely i do) and i agree with a lot of whats being said but i doubt we will even land 2 of the names mentioned in the last couple of pages. Just dont have faith the poison dwarfs will stump up anymore than £30m in the summer.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Wouldn't it be good to wake up one day in June and read in the newspaper that we had smashed our transfer fee and landed a striker of the calibre of Lacazette or similar without all the bollox from Sulivan about who we are fishing for and how much cash we have. I know it'll never happen but that's how it used to be.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Peaches wrote:In

Hart 12.5m
Zabaleta Free
Charlie Taylor Free
Batshyayi (loan with an option to buy)
Defoe Free
Sigurdson 27.5m
Oxlade Chamberlain or Wilshere 20m

Out

Feghouli 10m
Randolph 3.5m
Nordveit 5m
Tore (end of loan)
Calleri (end of loan)
Arbeloa (free)
Valencia 13.5 m

Net spend 28m- not an unreasonable amount, and we would gave a much better, more balanced squad.

That would be a dream summer transfer window for us. Can't see it happening and think some of the valuations are too optimistic. We'd never get £13m for Valencia or £10m for Feghouli. Something more like £8m and £6m would be more realistic.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Wouldn't it be good to wake up one day in June and read in the newspaper that we had smashed our transfer fee and landed a striker of the calibre of Lacazette or similar without all the bollox from Sulivan about who we are fishing for and how much cash we have. I know it'll never happen but that's how it used to be.
I don't recall us signing too many strikers with the reputation of Lacazette....

Mind you we did sign the odd Scottish midfielder , with little fanfare, who worked out quite well for us. :D
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

hammer1975 wrote: Cheers Luke

Too rich for our blood then
Probably 'too injured' as well.... He has been a bit of a sicknote for us - he has spent a lot more time out injured over his close to 4 years at the club then he has fit.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

upton o'good wrote:
Mind you we did sign the odd Scottish midfielder , with little fanfare, who worked out quite well for us. :D
Sandy Clarke?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Luke (THFC) wrote: Probably 'too injured' as well.... He has been a bit of a sicknote for us - he has spent a lot more time out injured over his close to 4 years at the club then he has fit.

Oh sweet naive Luke, that wouldn't put us off.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Linked with Johan Djourou.....now 30, on a free in the summer, out of the first team this season and looking for a move from Hamburg.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/03/24/ ... er/330833/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully not true
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

I just noticed we are on 100 pages and we still haven't signed anyone!

Board, Bilic, Brady OUT!!! :twisted:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammer1975 wrote:Linked with Johan Djourou.....now 30, on a free in the summer, out of the first team this season and looking for a move from Hamburg.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/03/24/ ... er/330833/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully not true

Free, cheap Why the devil not ? Free, cheap and useless doesn't normally deter us
Jumby
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Everton will not pay the extra for Valencia, not a chance, they'll spend that kind of money elsewhere.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

They spent £30m on Bolasie and sold Stones for £47m, i don't think they do valuations well.

Anyway keeping Valencia probably benefits us, bloke can still score goals as a striker but keeps being palmed off on the wing, if Slav actually used him as a striker we'd probably be in a better position than we are now.

Had a decent goals and assists ratio last season and has 3 goals 2 assists in 600 minutes for Everton.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I know this season has been **** but we can't be serious about taking Enner back into the first team equation.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I may have been a little off in my valuations. Hugh is reporting that Everton are looking to excercise their 11m option to sign Valencia permanently. Calciomerto have said that in January Roma bid 10.5m Eur for Feghouli and planned on returning with a 12m Eur bid in the summer. I do think we can sell Nordveit back to the Bundesliga for 5m.
I do think the prices I put on the "ins" are realistic and we can probably increase the wage bill by at least 10m: 7m FFP increase + at least 3m in commercial allowances, and that may be low.
I may even go so far as selling Kouyate for 20m and signing a Maguire and a more defensive oriented central midfielder.
Even more bizarrely, rumours are spreading that we are in for Isco as Real are prepared to sell him to a non Spanish non Champions League team for a knock down 10.5m.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

If we signed Isco the board would make a huge deal about signing a Real Madrid player and then close our activity in the transfer market, you just know it.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

If we signed Isco the board would make a huge deal about signing a Real Madrid player and then close our activity in the transfer market, you just know it.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jumby wrote:If we signed Isco the board would make a huge deal about signing a Real Madrid player and then close our activity in the transfer market, you just know it.
It would be a huge signing to be fair! Can't see it happening but he'd certainly be someone on the same wave length as Lanzini
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Above all else, I just want to see us stick to a strategy this summer that makes sense when recruiting players be it their genuine quality, ability, age, character and so on.

We seemed to be on the right path since relegation up til last summer gradually improving the squad year after year, in double quick time but it just seemed we took a big step back last summer that's held our progression back when previously we'd only been going forwards with our signings. I also think the January window looked more like panic buys simply because we had a shed load of money to burn from the sale of Payet as well as any money that was floating around anyway.

I'm not against a loan signing/freebie or two but not in bulk buys like last summer became. Tore, Feghouli, Zaza, Nordtveit, Calleri it was just too much of it. And some of those with a hell of a lot to prove in an alien environment playing in a highly competitive League they're not used too.

I want to see a return of scouring the lower divisions for a young gem or two like we found Cresswell, Antonio, Sakho as I'm a big believer in quality being there if you look hard enough and at affordable prices. I also want to see us buy the majority of signings for the present and future preferably within the ages of 23-28 - they won't come cheap and nor should they be expected to be. The occasional top quality signing outside of that I'm fine with as long as they're genuine quality with plenty left to give (the price would have to be right as well, not held to ransom).

I also don't want to see half a squad signing again like last summer. It got ridiculous the amount we shopped in, 12 was it in the end? Far too much for continuity sake so that didn't surprise me to see the squad unsettled and unbalanced which I said would happen. I'd say give or take about 5 quality signings maximum to bed in and probably only 1 maybe 2 who may well be quality but new to the Country. Not an endless number like last summer Feghouli, Calleri, Zaza, Tore, Nordtveit (I don't think he played 1 game for Arsenal in Prem), Fernandes (although come good). No wonder there's been little cohesion. Quality over quantity all day long. We don't need wholesale changes to the squad, just predominantly improving the 1st team with genuine upgrades of signings for positions we struggle to fill.

Do that, then we should get back on track and improve, fail by doing more of the same as last summer, then we regress further and risk being overtaken by those below us.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

The issues last summer stemmed from bulking out the squad with the expectation Slav could take us into the group stages of Europa, add to that the injuries to Cresswell, Carroll, Lanzini, Ayew and Feghouli before the window closed and it felt like we spent all summer purchasing replacements for injured players and then replacements for the new signings.

My hope is we can spend about £80m on 3 or 4 first team starters this summer including player sales.