Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Beavis Danzig »

everton will need all the help they can get if lukaku is off, as is on the cards.

was having a look at their top scorers in the league. lukaku has 21, next down on the list is barkley with 4. valencia with 3 in not that many minutes is prolific by comparison. he's got their second best goals per 90 minutes by far (lukaku is on .7, valencia on .6, barkley is on .1).

so maybe them chucking us a few quid for him isn't as unlikely as you might think.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

They'll definitely need a new right back for the start of the season as well, unless they have a conveyor belt of equal quality to step in. So it'll make it harder to compete for the likes of Zabaleta if we are sniffing around.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

3/4 quality players is all we need. we wont be spending 80m.

we currently have one fit striker in fletcher who never plays and callerei who will be leaving. Carroll is also around but who knows if he will be fit for the Hull game.

we are desperate for 2 new strikers in the summer.

Valencia has had his chances with us and is not good enough, so should be sold 10m if we are lucky.

fegouli should also be sold as not good enough, again 10m if we are lucky.

Randolph to be sold if we get a new GK in. 5m

Nordsvelt I would keep as not had a chance and is a DM who we need.

OUT tore,ardeola,hendry,callerei,valencia,fegouli

25m to put towards new players plus the payet money so around 50m

zabaleta free, sigurdsson 30m, batsuayi loan, defoe free are likely ins.

Maybe a new goalkeeper Hart 15m has been mentioned.
Maybe a winger will be needed

That would be my window and not too unreasonable nor costly for the board.

GK hart adrian
LB cresswell masuaka
RB zabaleta byram
CB reid fonte ogbonna kouyate collins oxford burke
DM noble fernandez nordsvelt obiang
AM lanzini sigurdsson
wingers antonio snodgrass ?
CF carroll batsuayi defoe fletcher sakho
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

hammerman11 wrote:
Nordsvelt I would keep as not had a chance and is a DM who we need.

He has had a chance and failed to impress or stay in the side whenever he's been asked to play and I've seen enough of him now to realise he isn't good enough at the level we want in this division. He isn't the answer to any of our questions, Feghouli is in a similar boat. Just put them and us out of all our miseries and send them on by making a tidy little profit in the process for someone else to worry about.

Agree with most of the rest of your post.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Yet he was good enough to be a starter for a better side than us last season?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

has nordsvelt actually played a few games as a DM for us. not just coing on for 10 mins. I remember him at spurs as a RB and that like others there was a disaster. Just saying he was a good player in the german league and maybe needs one more season and a few chances in cup games
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I see four of our summer signings have been ranked in the top 10 most useless transfers of 2016 by talk sport , Calleri,Tore , Arebeloa,and Zaza , tough to argue against.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Part of our problem this year is that we have players who don't complement each other at all. for example we have 3 attacking full backs, but practically no mobile defensively responsible central midfielders or even remotely defensively responsible wide midfielders to cover for them or help them out.
We also have a lot of flash looking players who look great going forward but can't track runners or get back defensively.
In the right system, with the right players around them, these players can be great, but in our team their flaws are exposed and they expose the flaws of others.
Feghouli, and Kouyate (especially as a midfielder), while very good players are prime examples of this.
I would argue Creswell, Masuaku, Byram, Ayew, Antonio and to a lesser extent Lanzini also falll into this category while Nordveidt and Noble are exposed by their lack of pace.
We aren't exactly going to get rid of 10 players (including some of our best ones) and replace them especially as Tore, Calleri, Arbeloa, possibly Sakho and at least one of the goalies and probably Collins are off at the end of the season, but we do need to change some of the squad for players who are a better fit with the rest of the squad.
I definitely think one of the attacking left backs should be sold and replaced with Charlie Taylor.
I would also sell Feghouli and replace him with a wide player who stays wide and is less of a liability defensively.
Controversially, I would sell Kouyate and replace him with a more defensively responsible central midfielder who is a better passer or who is happy to play the simple ball to a colleague who is a better passer.

I think the tweaking the squad to find better balance, fit, and players who complement each other is just as important as bringing in a top goalie, striker and right back.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Good post Peaches

Apart from selling Kouyate (who i would tend to use as a CB) I agree with all of that
Colours never run

If I had it my way..

Out

Randolph
Nordtveit
Arbeloa
Ogbonna
Feghouli
Calleri

We can improve on all those by either promoting some youngsters like Cullen and Burke, as well as buying better. Keep the rest as the bulk of the squad is a good one. So about 6 out and buying in about 4 or 5 avoiding drastic change like last time. But the ones we do buy have to be real proven quality who ain't a punt. Maybe allowing for 1 Sulley special but that's it.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Colours never run wrote:If I had it my way..

Out

Randolph
Nordtveit
Arbeloa
Ogbonna
Feghouli
Calleri

We can improve on all those by either promoting some youngsters like Cullen and Burke, as well as buying better. Keep the rest as the bulk of the squad is a good one. So about 6 out and buying in about 4 or 5 avoiding drastic change like last time. But the ones we do buy have to be real proven quality who ain't a punt. Maybe allowing for 1 Sulley special but that's it.
Ogbonna was our best defender last season, and unless we have a right winger better than Feghouli ready to join we shouldn't sell him either.
Colours never run

Reid was by far our best defender last season as he is this and I look forward to him developing a partnership with our new big signing Fonte. The good money we get from selling Ogbonna can be better spent elsewhere.

Sooner or later we need to integrate at least one of the Reeces and I see no reason why next season shouldn't be the time to do it.
D C
Has liked: 1122 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by D C »

I'm all for selling Kouyate if a big enough offer comes in. He's not progressed in a few years and I don't think he can improve much. I'd rather Oxford get his minutes at CM and CB.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

The Striker Situation

Carroll - keep
Sakho - sell for anything over 3m
Valencia - sell for anything over 5m
Fletcher - loan out to a Championship side side that really need a striker
Martinez - loan out to a Championship or League One side that really need a striker

Defoe - sign on a free
Tammy Abraham - test the water with a solid bid of around 10m

I honestly don't know who else we could get or who else the board would be willing to spend the money on.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Jumby wrote:The Striker Situation

Carroll - keep
Sakho - sell for anything over 3m
Valencia - sell for anything over 5m
Fletcher - loan out to a Championship side side that really need a striker
Martinez - loan out to a Championship or League One side that really need a striker

Defoe - sign on a free
Tammy Abraham - test the water with a solid bid of around 10m

I honestly don't know who else we could get or who else the board would be willing to spend the money on.
I think you are being extremely negative. Rumour is Everton will spend 11m to sign Valencia and if he proves his fitness we should be able to sell Sakho for at least as much.
Both Man Utd and Chelsea are looking to sign World class strikers Griezmann, Neymar, Lukaku, Belotti and the like. Batshuayi, and Rashford won't even see the match day squads let alone the pitch if they stay. These players are real options for us. Walcott is rumoured to be on his way out of Arsenal, plus there are overseas players who are also viable options.
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

I watched some of the Scotland game the other night to have a look at Snodgrass. He didn't impress. However the young kid from Fulham did. By all accounts he has the best passing record in the championship and is very highly rated. Ok it was against Canada who are probably championship standard but I'd be interested to see him again.

I reckon Defoe is a given. As will be Zabaleta or Sagna. Both tick the boxes of Sullivan. They're free !
I reckon we will go after Sigurdsson
I reckon Sullivan will try to bring in Hart (I'd prefer Begovic personally)
Finally, I reckon Sullivan will try and bring in Walcott

I would actually be delighted with the above if we brought these in. I believe that Sullivan would earn serious brownie points if he brought these in. We could seriously make a play for top 6 with those players.

Experience and quality.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

not sure I would want walcott rather the OX .

Batshauyi is the one we will go for I reckon. could of joined us, no chance on the chelsea bench and hardly plays. was banging them in before he moved. Loan spell with a view to buy would give him the necessary motivation to do well. If he does he has to decide wheher to stay or go back to the chelsea bench.

Hart or bergovic as no 1 with adrian as back up. sell randolph 5m

sakho wont be going anywhere probably not even on the pitch for us. No one will buy him after 18 months out virtually.

carroll will stay unless big chinese offer comes in but doubt he will want to go.

zabaleta for 2 years would be good but prefer a younger RB to come in. 10m must get us something.

fegouli is not good enough for the premier league. sell for 10m

Ogbonna is better than fonte and I would play reid and ogbonna in a back 4 and if a 3 with kouyate.

No way would ogbonna or kouyate be sold.Two of our better players.

If collins goes we will need a further CB.

outs randolph 5m,fegouli 10m,tore,ardeola,callerei,valencia 10m, total 25m
ins hart/bergovic 15m,zabaleta free,another RB 10m,maguire10m,siggurdsson 25m, defoe free batshauyi loan,another winger 10m. total 80m

spend 55m less payet money 25m ? gives a net spend around 30m

so could happen but unlikely.

for me though RB, siggurdsson and 2 strikers are the priorities.
Chimera
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

Everyone keeps saying we will go for Batshuayi. Wont Chelsea need a bigger squad next year to cope with the added matches in Europe?
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

What about Origi at Liverpool? Wildly inconsistent but still very young and looks to me like he has all the tools to be a very good player.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Colours never run wrote: He has had a chance and failed to impress or stay in the side whenever he's been asked to play and I've seen enough of him now to realise he isn't good enough at the level we want in this division. He isn't the answer to any of our questions, Feghouli is in a similar boat. Just put them and us out of all our miseries and send them on by making a tidy little profit in the process for someone else to worry about.
It's a sound transfer strategy, and presumably the reason you're so angry that we didn't sell Winston Reid or Michail Antonio after their first six months at the club.