Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Colours never run »

gegsy wrote:Pretty much every club borrows against future TV revenue.

Nobody pays a transfer fee in full up front.

Hope that helps.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Sir_Trevor wrote:http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-push ... take-look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Story here suggesting we are after Moussa Dembele again, although to be fair even the author of the article says he doesn't really believe it! :?

That report is based on this report:

https://le10sport.com/football/mercato/ ... um=twitter

Which just says that we've submitted a bid for Dembele in the past. Which I believe is true. But I also remember reading our valuations were way apart.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Morocco Mole wrote:
Who's this "they"? There is no "they". The club generates the funds

*sorry not a dig Rars :thup:
The collective 'they' who control the purse strings of the club, making the decisions about what the business can afford, not meaning their own personal finances.

They, being the decision makers. But meaning they, we, West Ham, us.

No dig taken, mate.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Getting loads of texts tonight, have we signed Big Willy?
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Jumby wrote:Getting loads of texts tonight, have we signed Big Willy?
Texts from whom?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Just mates, "it's done mate, you got him", stuff like that, but all I can see is that we're in advanced talks
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Jumby wrote:Just mates, "it's done mate, you got him", stuff like that, but all I can see is that we're in advanced talks
Maybe they saw jinxed post earlier. :thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm expecting it to happen, just like the others we signed already this summer.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
The collective 'they' who control the purse strings of the club, making the decisions about what the business can afford, not meaning their own personal finances.

They, being the decision makers. But meaning they, we, West Ham, us.
The Club's finances and the owners' personal finances are inextricably linked.

We are not run as a 'normal' business. The accrued value of West Ham United PLC does not and will not benefit West Ham United FC but predominany 2 people.

Let's be clear - they have injected no equity. They loan money at very high interest rates, they sold our one real fixed asset, they use income to pay for transfers and salaries and they sit on the capital growth for their own personal future benefit.

According to their own figures, the value of the Club has risen from circa minus £100m to plus circa £800m meaning a growth of nearly a billion quid. Now I know those figures are hogswash, but that's what they have been trumpeting.

A 'normal' business could realise that capital growth and invest it. They could borrow on the strength of it or sell shares to use the money for players or to buy the ground, a stake in the ground or to adapt it. What will happen instead is that 2 men and their families will trouser about £300m each and walk off leaving the Club benefiting nothing at all despite selling its ground and through a time of unprecedented growth due to TV revenue.

So when they say 'we' can't afford something, what they really mean is 'they' won't dip into their personal wealth which has risen on the back of the Club.

It's legal of course, but it deserves to be called out for what it is. I was told by a poster on here who will remain nameless that David Nice Old Man Gold was asked at a function if he would give some of his huge share back to the Club he loves when he realisises it and he looked him straight in the eye completely baffled and said 'why would I do that?'

There is no 'we'.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3684 likes
Total likes: 2404 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Doc :clap:

Pro rata I bet our owners are in the bottom two or three in the PL in terms of personal wealth invested over the course of their tenure. They've been here what...7 years? Total (including buying the gaff) maybe 60 mill (most of which are interest bearing loans)?
Someone (please) correct me if I'm wrong....?
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Haven't seen anything.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

The only Willy we are likely to sign is Free Willy. Given up on this transfer.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Has anyone else had multiple texts? If the deals done that would be logical would it not? I've had ziltch.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Honestly don't get all this "skint" talk.Just don't get it,seriously where is the money.Why are we all just accepting this idea that we are skint ,in a time of the richest TV deal in football history.
carnage

Post by carnage »

bubbles500 wrote:Honestly don't get all this "skint" talk.Just don't get it,seriously where is the money.Why are we all just accepting this idea that we are skint ,in a time of the richest TV deal in football history.
Because our net spend is about 7 million? And we appear to be quibbling over a couple of million, which is loose change to our owners.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Re Docs post and Gold saying "why would we do that." Brady gets bad press but at least you see what you get with her. Sully and Gold have brain washed 95% of our support with their "love for the club" and their self confessed saviour status.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

carnage wrote:Re Docs post and Gold saying "why would we do that." Brady gets bad press but at least you see what you get with her. Sully and Gold have brain washed 95% of our support with their "love for the club" and their self confessed saviour status.

That is just the way some money men are. They will broker deals worth millions, yet flinch when it comes to a few extra bucks. I have worked for some bosses like this in my time and it used to drive me mad
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: The Club's finances and the owners' personal finances are inextricably linked.

We are not run as a 'normal' business. The accrued value of West Ham United PLC does not and will not benefit West Ham United FC but predominany 2 people.

Let's be clear - they have injected no equity. They loan money at very high interest rates, they sold our one real fixed asset, they use income to pay for transfers and salaries and they sit on the capital growth for their own personal future benefit.
:thup:

Great post, but these 2 sections are on the money and how I see it with GS&B.

I think they see spending a couple extra £m on a player as more being taken out of their pocket in the form of lost future profit, so the bare minimum will spent in order just to survive on the Sky Premier League gravy train.
Last edited by hadleighhammer on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

hopefully big willy is done and announced today. give him a weeks training and in for the barcodes.

he will improve us in two areas defence and midfield. 40m good signing a lot of money but that is what you have to pay I guess.

new CB smalling in next please

new winger once snodgrass goes as well

doubt we will get a striker as AC has popped back in for training now. a "new signing "
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

carnage wrote:Re Docs post and Gold saying "why would we do that." Brady gets bad press but at least you see what you get with her. Sully and Gold have brain washed 95% of our support with their "love for the club" and their self confessed saviour status.
:thup:

I expect many of that 95% to now come charging on here to tell you they haven't been brainwashed, how wrong you are, you're biased, GS&B saved us, they're fans, they love the club, the radioactive Athletics Track cesspit is wonderful, had to move to survive, next level, etc...