Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Lostcoco

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Lostcoco »

Imagine

Adrian
Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Masuaku
Walcott Lanzini Obiang Antonio
Ayew
Giroud

bloody hell :lol:
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Chippenhammer wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... ene-Wenger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nothing new, but tomorrows star.
Doubt we're after both. Think Giroud is more likely than Walcott and I don't personally think Giroud is all that likely.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I don't see the logic behind the hesitation over the Iheanacho buy back clause. He plays for us for 3 years and then we sell him back for a £10m profit OR we buy Giroud for £20m and he retires after 2 years and we have lost £20m. My maths say the Iheanacho deal therefore would see us £30m better off, got to be a no brainer?!?

Am I getting mixed up somewhere?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hamburger wrote:Am I getting mixed up somewhere?.
The game happens on the pitch, not the transfer market.

It isn't about 'sell on' , it's about goals, points and wins.
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

I think it is also a case that you know Giroud will guarantee you alot of goals. Whereas you dont with Iheanacho. So it is a big risk with minimal reward if they just buy back.
goof

Post by goof »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Olivier Giroud - £20m
Mario Lemina - £17.5m
Henry Onyekuru - £8m
Pablo Zabaleta - Free

Job done. £45m all in. Add the fees for the dogshit we've shipped out and there might even be enough to pull another shrewd signing out of the bag.
Still not enough for me Aztec, we are are only a Giroud injury from going backwards again. 45 million should be this windows spending, still waiting to spend the Zaza money & the Payet change. For me get shot of Sakho, Valencia, keep Carroll, Fletcher & Martinez. 2 strikers in is the minimum we should be looking at, Walcott, Giroud & Batman & last season will be forgiven Dave's.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
I would put it at 0% chance that we sign two of Giroud, Iheanacho and Batshuayi. I'd be surprised if we signed one. But none of those three would come to West Ham to play second fiddle to the other when that's what they already do at their current, bigger clubs. We also have Carroll, who even with his injury woes, isn't going to be third choice on 90k a week or whatever ridiculous wage he's on.

Giroud and Carroll (when he's actually an available footballer) as the two main strikers is quality. We'd be lacking a bit of a pacey change up (maybe they'd use Sakho for that) but it doesn't really matter as Giroud regardless of his style would be the best striker we've had in ages.
Whilst I agree that our chances of signing 2/3 of those strikers would be very small, I disagree that these players wouldn't come to us if they weren't the main men.

Giroud: Would be our first choice striker no matter what. Starts every week he is fit.

Iheanacho: At City he's behind Agüero, Jesus, possibly Sanchez if he comes in, and not to mention Sane, Sterling, Silva, etc. All of which are favored more by the manager. He's playing for a manager that doesn't believe he fits the style of play they are going for. Would definitely get more chances here.

Batshuayi: Same thing as Iheanacho. Behind Costa in the pecking order and possibly soon 1-2 other strikers. Also, even when they didn't have a fit striker, Conte did not play him. The only play time he got was in the cup and when they had already won the league. He's obviously not in the plans of the manager.

Carroll: The club either need to move him on, or he needs to accept that his injury record will never allow him to be more than an option off the bench. If we can't afford the wages, get rid. I am sure the club would rather have his wages used as an option off the bench than spent on him in the treatment room.

Again, don't think we will get 2/3 of these, but it's entirely in the realms of possibility that we could accommodate these players better than their current clubs.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

goof wrote:
Olivier Giroud - £20m
Mario Lemina - £17.5m
Henry Onyekuru - £8m
Pablo Zabaleta - Free

Job done. £45m all in. Add the fees for the dogshit we've shipped out and there might even be enough to pull another shrewd signing out of the bag.

Still not enough for me Aztec, we are are only a Giroud injury from going backwards again. 45 million should be this windows spending, still waiting to spend the Zaza money & the Payet change. For me get shot of Sakho, Valencia, keep Carroll, Fletcher & Martinez. 2 strikers in is the minimum we should be looking at, Walcott, Giroud & Batman & last season will be forgiven Dave's.

Come on, it would be as good as it could get realistically. I struggle to see how you could possibly ask for more going by your criteria. To say we would keep Carroll, add Giroud, Ayew, Antonio and Onyeruku (plus Fletcher, Martinez in the wings) wouldn't be going far enough if Giroud gets hypothetically injured is totally unrealistic. I don't think you're alone wanting more than that either. We can't be expecting some kind of super squad, even if we have moved stadium.

As an aside, injuries will always happen and can never be guaranteed who doesn't pick them up.

If we got in those 4 or similar and keep our best players whilst offing deadwood, that'll be a great window for us and just about all we need. To get anymore on top of that, would be a bonus but not because they didn't do enough.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Lostcoco wrote:Imagine

Adrian
Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Masuaku
Walcott Lanzini Obiang Antonio
Ayew
Giroud

bloody hell :lol:
Whilst I love the attacking intent Obiang would be demanding a move within a month due to overwork. Asking him to cover for 5 players may be a bit much.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

It's pretty clear Arsenal, and every other big team in Europe want Mbappe. Not many can afford him, and those that can probably can't guarantee him playing time. Arsenal are also looking to sign Lacazette and Mahrez. Selling Walcott and Giroud for a combined 45 to 50m in fees and 250k off the wage bill. Bearing in mind that Arsenal are not in the champions league they need to clear wages and raise money to bring in their targets. Winger would gladly swap Walcott and Giroud for Mahrez and Lacazette. That would still leave him with the ability to go for Mbappe if they end up selling Sanchez.
We have just cleared a whack of wages, and the additional commercial revenues last year mean we are unlikely to be troubled by FFP.
Walcott and Giroud need first team football if they want to play in the a World Cup. We can offer that, match their wages and they don't have to move their families. If it wasn't too good to be true it would be perfect.

Mario Leninakan would be an outstanding signing even if it meant one of Obiang or Kouyate was leaving.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

as stated on here we need two strikers to come in
giroud plus ileanacho or batshuayi

added to ayew carroll martinez

if giroud got injured we have cover and can switch to a one with ileanacho or batshuayi up top.

sell valencia and sakho

Henry O to cover left side
antonio and fegouli the right

do we need walcott ?

perhaps another DM and cullen to assist in that area
new reserve gk as I would sell randolph. bentley ?

main position is two strikers
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Whilst Lemina is a lovely signing, he's not exactly what we need in the middle of the park - we need somebody more robust and who will just sit and hold, break up play and pass it on. Lemina, from what I've seen, is a bit more like a more technically proficient Kouyate or Obiang, likes to get the ball and run with it.

We need a Romeu/Dendoncker/Blin type player.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Hamburger wrote:.
I don't see the logic behind the hesitation over the Iheanacho buy back clause. He plays for us for 3 years and then we sell him back for a £10m profit OR we buy Giroud for £20m and he retires after 2 years and we have lost £20m. My maths say the Iheanacho deal therefore would see us £30m better off, got to be a no brainer?!?

I just can't see the issue either, but others seem in meltdown over it. Baffles the hell out of me.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just sign him up ffs. they wont be buying him back with augero jesus sanchez etc
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:just sign him up ffs. they wont be buying him back with augero jesus sanchez etc
They will buy him just to sell him for profit. Whether he is good enough or not is irrelevant.

The issue with the buy back is that they can activate it out of the blue and leave us lacking up front. At least with Giroud we'd know when/if he's leaving or retiring.

Also, how ridiculous would we look if City bought him back for £30 million then sold him for £60 million?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

thejackhammer wrote:
Also, how ridiculous would we look if City bought him back for £30 million then sold him for £60 million?
Slightly less silly than if we let Leicester buy him and he banged the goals in for them for the next couple of years, then sell him on for a profit.

The buy back clause is a tricky one. Overall, I would say we should get him and accept the buy back clause as long as we are also getting in another quality striker. That would cover the risk of Man City deciding to buy him back sooner than we would like, and stop us being caught short.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

I thought the buy back was reported as 54m not 30m?
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Giannelli Imbula I like this player & believe he's in our reach possibly 12-15m.
Last edited by brooking1966 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Ozza wrote:I thought the buy back was reported as 54m not 30m?
£54m came out yesterday, before then it was being reported as £30m which is what we were haggling over.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Hamburger wrote:.

Another way to look at this would be, spend 25M on an unknown quantity in Iheanacho only to sell him back if he comes good , OR spend that 25M(as part of that 50M double) for Giroud and Walcott who are both proven at the Premiership/International level. You would think having both would improve us , and we can leverage that success to attract more players in the future.

Get 2 proven players, and any left-over excess can be use to bring in some exciting prospects outside the league. There will always prospects that are willing to make the leap to the league, and I would say those prospects have done more, and have more tested than Iheanacho. And the best part is that we don't have to pay the Premiership/Championship premium or deal with these buy-back clauses.

If the prospect at Snodgrass/Fonte money don't pan out, we can still pick another prospect the next year. I rather gamble of 6-10M Fernandez/Masuaku than a 25M(with buyback clause) Iheanacho.