Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Hammer83 »

If anyone is interested in Carvalho you can get 7/2 on skybet for him to remain at his current club come the end of the window. I just put a score on to cheer myself up when it falls through :D
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

If I put that bet on him, he'd probably sign for Sp*rs
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I'm still no wiser as to why I should be excited about a picture of Carvalho, George Michael, Tupac and Kriss Akabusi. Aside from the obvious implications it has on the life after death debate.

Can his moustache bring people back from the dead? Is that why they want €40 million?
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Ajax were building a great young side, now have had all there best players snapped up! do they really have more youngsters in the bank to bring through? because if not they're going to lose out to the mighty Feyenoord again.

sorry to my scandinavian friends but i'm going to claimt this as dutch syndrome; building up a good side and then having to sell all your best players..they have a bunch of good youngsters (such as donny v.d. beek being able to replace Klaassen) but you can't replace every outgoing transfer..at some point they're going to have to say enough is enough..but i wouldn't mind if we snapped Youness up..because it is
WHU

Offtopic but always liked Ajax, one of my earliest football memories was watching them win the European cup 1-0 (pk). When my similar age bro and I were growing up and playing football manager we'd always pick different teams in european leagues to manage and in holland I'd pick Ajax (him PSV).

I'd love to see them not have to sell every youngster they develop over the years. I'd love to go watch the play in the Amerstadm arena (?) too one day...
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

-DL- wrote:The right way round...

Picture not taken in UK, it's definitely Portugal, the bloke on the right is still wearing his all inclusive band .
Navyhammer

Post by Navyhammer »

Image[/quote]

We must be going for speed and endurance. Thats definitely Mo Farah next to Kriss Akabusi. Gooners aint going to be happy.
Lancaster Hammer
Location: The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an on-coming train

Post by Lancaster Hammer »

bubbles500 wrote:De Ligt will be top draw,sadly probably follow Sanchez to Spurs,as Ajax now appear their feeder club.
Would never pass a medical because he has a groove in his heart.
Northammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Northammer »

bubbles500 wrote:De Ligt will be top draw,sadly probably follow Sanchez to Spurs,as Ajax now appear their feeder club.
Lancaster Hammer wrote:Would never pass a medical because he has a groove in his heart.
Excellent!
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

http://www.football-italia.net/108403/l ... mobile=off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lazio chairman confirms we bid €32m for Keita Balde.

Wonder if we'd have signed Arnie if we could have got him?
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Not sure if it's been said already but the original pic of Carvalho ie reversed pic

Guy on left is Eddy Liberal, centre is, Jackson Piaxao and left is Carvalho....

Apparently taken yesterday in Lisbon which I think was confirmed here earlier...

Portuguese papers saying Carvalho is refusing to train at moment which was dismissed yesterday by his club but seems to be more widely reported today in Portugal....
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:http://www.football-italia.net/108403/l ... mobile=off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lazio chairman confirms we bid €32m for Keita Balde.

Wonder if we'd have signed Arnie if we could have got him?
Very doubtful mate... Inter bid €3m more than us and player has refused to move anywhere else apart from Juve...
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Gold on his and Sullivan's transfer policy-

"It is a tried and trusted system, it has worked nearly ten years we have been at West Ham and of course it worked for twenty years at Birmingham so if it’s not broken not fix it.”

insert achievements for both clubs here.....

Pardon?
mattyD
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Gold on his and Sullivan's transfer policy-

"It is a tried and trusted system, it has worked nearly ten years we have been at West Ham and of course it worked for twenty years at Birmingham so if it’s not broken not fix it.”
Jesus H Christ.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:Zabaleta is a massive improvement at the position and will also do a lot to help Byram learn.
I read this a lot - the reply's always the same - how's young Sam going to learn anything whist sitting on the bench?
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 501 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

I've never gotten this older signing will tutor a younger player thing.

I reckon it's more likely that the older guy will clue his former club into which players at his new club might be worth signing! Where are his loyalties likely to lie?
amsterdhammer
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by amsterdhammer »

The Rebirth wrote:
Ajax were building a great young side, now have had all there best players snapped up! do they really have more youngsters in the bank to bring through? because if not they're going to lose out to the mighty Feyenoord again.

They really do. Dolberg (20), who's been mentioned on here quite a bit, Kluivert jr (18), Donny vd Beek (20), De Ligt (18), Neres (20), all played in their Europa game on Thursday, and there's another 4 or 5 in the squad aged 20 or less... it really is a conveyor belt!

As an aside, the Ajax fans in the pub before the game were almost suicidal at the thought of losing Sanchez - the muppets from N. London really have got themselves a real gem there (unfortunately!), the lad's an absolute beast: great timing of his tackles, good in the air, comfortable on the ball and sprays it around well. They need to make the most of him 'cos he'll be off to a big team in a season or two without a doubt!
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

Skandi Brudson wrote:I've never gotten this older signing will tutor a younger player thing.

I reckon it's more likely that the older guy will clue his former club into which players at his new club might be worth signing! Where are his loyalties likely to lie?
So Pablo is sent to scout West Ham. Seriously? They train a lot more than play games. He can help Byram with defensive positioning, which seems to be his strength and Byram's weakness. Anyone who has been around athletics has witnessed older players mentoring younger. Some don't, because they are selfish, but most do.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Skandi Brudson wrote:I've never gotten this older signing will tutor a younger player thing.

They lie with whoever is paying him. It's a job like any other for guys at this level. When I go to a new job I don't hold any particular loyalty to the last company I worked for. And older players know that the way to keep getting paid for a few more years as their skill declines, and set up a career as a manager (if that's what they want) is to get a reputation as a player who helps the younger players.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 501 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Don't be ridiculous. I didn't suggest that Zabaleta or anyone else was sent to scout. I'm saying that a player who has played at a club for many years is likely to have a greater affinity with that club than his 'last pay day' club. Given that, he's likely to be in contact with former team mates and is as likely to talk up a young prospect at his new club as he is to 'coach' a younger player to take his spot in the team.

Is there any solid evidence of the latter scenario at any club?
Last edited by Skandi Brudson on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Lancaster Hammer wrote:Would never pass a medical because he has a groove in his heart.
:lol: