Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by YorksHammer »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:Signings needed: Begovic (£10-12m), Zabaleta (Free), Siggy (£25m), 1-2 of Batshuayi (loan w/ option) Muriel (£20-25m) or Modeste (£18-22m).
Can't see us buying two strikers, both of whom will want promises of first team football were they to move here.

More likely one of those options + Carroll, Sakho (?), Fletcher, Martinez.

In an ideal world, sack off Sakho and sign Dimata (£6-8m) to be coming through. One of him, Fletcher and Martinez will make it and be our starter for the future.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

YorksHammer wrote:
Can't see us buying two strikers, both of whom will want promises of first team football were they to move here.

I think we will need to buy two strikers , Yorks -

At the beginning of this current season we had Carroll , Ayew , Calleri , Zaza and Sakho to choose from , since the beginning of 2017 we've only had one striker of note to choose from , Andy Carroll - ok , we've also used Antonio in the striker role .
I can't see Calleri playing for us next season , neither can I envisage Sakho donning the claret and blue again - Whether Valencia returns or not I couldn't say - also how much of Andy Carroll's contract is left , we may sell the big Geordie or have to extend his contract .
Realistically that leaves Carroll and Ayew depending on the Valencia situation .

We definitely need to sign up two strikers in my opinion .

ps , - Apologies , forgot about young Fletcher .
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Interested in signing Rooney in the summer according to Sky, couldn't think of a more dividing player to be honest :lol:

I'd be very happy though
Scarhead

Post by Scarhead »

Notification come up on my phone from Sky Sports saying we're interested in signing Rooney if allowed to leave in summer.... :asleep:
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Yep just seen Rooney link. If ever there was a season ticket renewal leak from the board to push applications.
Cottee
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by Cottee »

Rooney still has two years left on a £300k a week contract. He's 32 this year and isn't the player he once was. I just don't understand why we'd want to spend a huge chunk of our budget on him.
Captain.Bob

Post by Captain.Bob »

Cottee wrote:I just don't understand why we'd want to spend a huge chunk of our budget on him.
Can he play right back?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I don't know why we wouldn't be interested in Rooney, in all honesty. I imagine every club in the league would be outside of the top five/six.
The Old Man of Storr wrote:I think we will need to buy two strikers , Yorks
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disagreeing that we need two - simply that the likelihood of us signing two £20m+ strikers on top of Carroll and our youth coming through seems unlikely, not least because I don't think they'd come here if they weren't guaranteed a starting role. It would be very different if we started two up top, but if we only start with one I can't see us attracting two players of that calibre.

It would be silly, in my opinion, to loan Batshuayi and then buy Modeste - one of them is plenty to have. You then have Carroll who's already here and a clutch of promising younger talents (I would add a young player from abroad with a proven record this season, so mentioned Diamata) who should be able to round out the options.

Then you'll have the new starter, Carroll, new youngster, Fletcher and Martinez as out and out striker options, with players like Ayew and Antonio capable of playing there too (probably fitting in between the new youngster and Fletcher in terms of pecking order).

Just for reference, look at the appearances for Palace's strikers this season - Benteke's on 30, Remy's on 7, Wickham's on 10, Campbell's on 9. Would someone like a Modeste be happy with 9 games a season if it was determined that someone else was ahead of him in the pecking order? Would we be happy if we spent £25m on him and only played him that much?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Cottee wrote:Rooney still has two years left on a £300k a week contract. He's 32 this year and isn't the player he once was. I just don't understand why we'd want to spend a huge chunk of our budget on him.
I know why:

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3189 likes
Total likes: 2324 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:Modeste (£18-22m).
Given they turned down a €50m offer for him from Tianjin Quanjian just last month (c.£40m or so?) all we need to do now is wait for him to have a potentially career-threatening injury and for £18-22m he'll be ours!
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1151 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I think they'll be doing their level best to sell Carroll in the summer, I think we'll be reading about Chinese bids regularly.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Rooney is this seasons lacazette. A pie in the sky player we have no interest and no hope in signing.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

From a footballing point of view Rooney would be fantastic id see him partnering Lanzini in attacking midfield and given a license to roam a bit!

Financially I think it would depend on how it affects other potential signings if it's at the cost of us properly investing in the striker and right back positions then there really isn't any point

In fact it's all make belief because it's tactics from our cheap owners but there we go!
leeo272

Post by leeo272 »

Sky Sports News 'sources' understand West Ham are interested in a summer move for Wayne Rooney.

In unrelated news, season ticket renewal forms went out last week.
steps
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

ST renewal time of year and I bet Sully is itching to get a 'Boleyn Insider' type column on the OS out soon. I'd expect to see a revised edition in the next few days/weeks since Brady vetoed the last one.

"My sources tell me we're linked with a veteran Manchester United player and captain..."

:asleep:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Can we please not entertain this Rooney idea and just ignore.

It's the usual sh*t that the owners come out with after they announce season ticket renewals.

The fact some of you still fall for it saddens me.
D C
Has liked: 1120 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by D C »

A fool and his money and all that.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Billydinho wrote:Can we please not entertain this Rooney idea and just ignore.

It's the usual sh*t that the owners come out with after they announce season ticket renewals.

The fact some of you still fall for it saddens me.
To be fair I don't think there are many falling for it.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I really hope this Rooney thing is all b******s.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

dont want rooney 32 soon, mega wages and big fee. No thanks

get a young fit hungry striker. Not a has been