Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

CentenaryUpperHammer

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

hammerman11 wrote:25m for modeste a 29 year old who has never played in the premier league or a younger player with some premier league experience such as josh king adre gray ileanacho batshuayi ?

Modeste for 15m maybe but no more.

I dont believe that any of those players would want to play for West Ham inc Bats. Why would they? Outside the bottom 3, we have looked the most goal shy team.

If we had carried on from last year with the quick, counter attacking football, I could understand strikers wanting to play for us. Standing uptop battling long balls for knock downs isn't something most players want to do apart from Carroll.

I feel sorry for any striker signing for us.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Bilic needs to ditch carroll as his main striker and play quick mobile forwards. Carroll on the bench and as a plan B unless we can shift him to china. They are money stupid but not that stupid to take the carthorse.

i would bin carroll sakho callerei and valencia leaving ayew fletcher then get defoe king and gray in for 30m

we would have 4 under 30 and defoe
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote:25m for modeste a 29 year old who has never played in the premier league or a younger player with some premier league experience such as josh king adre gray ileanacho batshuayi ?

Modeste for 15m maybe but no more.

He has played in the Premier League...

Edit - Lanzini, Payet, Antonio, Obiang, Cresswell etc had no Premier League experience before joining us, I don't think it hindered them.
Last edited by Patito on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Modeste has played in the Premier League - 9 games for Blackburn on loan in 2012. No goals, one yellow card, one red card.

As far as pace goes, Patito, personally I don't see it. He's not running beyond his man at all, just ambling into areas. He rarely makes the space for himself, just ends up in it because defences switch off. I've seen three or four Koln matches this season and it's very similar.

He's not a poacher, he's a target man. There are real shades of Benteke about him in what he does, and I mean Liverpool/Palace Benteke rather than Villa Benteke.
Patito

Post by Patito »

23 league goals, 25 in all competitions. 1 goal every 109 minutes. Not bad for a target man who ambles around. :D
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I stand corrected 9 games for Blackburn on loan in 2012. No goals, one yellow card, one red card. sounds impressive.hes nearly 30 now and scoring a few but I would leave alone. buy premier league experienced players.

GK bergovic 10m
RB zabaleta free
CAM siggurdsson 25m
CF defoe free king 15m gray 15m

This would majke such a difference to our squad and first team

part fund with sale/release of tore, randolph 5m ardeola, hendrie, westley, sakho 3m carroll 5m, valencia 8m
fonte 4m snodgrass 5m possibly 30m plus wages saved

net spend 35m

bergovic
zabaleta reid kouyate masuaka
antonio obiang lanzini siggurdsson
King defoe

subs adrian cresswell ogbonna noble fernandez gray fegouli
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

I agree that we don't need to be splashy in the transfer window. Looking back over the past couple of years, and the players we've brought in, there doesn't seem to be any plan or sense of what type of team we want to be on the pitch. We have athletic thumpers with no touch, and then cadillac players like Lanzini. Obviously you want a diverse array of talent, but I think a few sound acquisitions in the 7-12 mil range is ideal. Don't need to be signing world beaters...just a few guys who will make us a little better at each respective position.
Teams like Southampton, Watford, etc have shown that this policy works.
tizzwoz

Post by tizzwoz »

If anyone needs reminding just how bad our signings have been this season, you should go to the official West Ham site and go to the player of the year awards section. Then watch the "Signing of the season" video. I cant believe they actually allowed it to go on the website and they are going ahead with that award this season. It's hilariously painful to watch.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

tizzwoz wrote:
Finally someone with some sense. So many fans think that spending huge amounts is a good thing. Its really not. There are far more examples of big buys, ending as bad buys - At both the top of the table and at the bottom. The key to our success in the transfer market this summer is identifying exactly the sort of players we need. I dont mean a goalkeeper, a striker etc. I mean what kind of striker. What system will we be playing. What will our Plan B system be? Look at Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso. Moses was frustrating with us with small glimpses of talent and Alonso was once a Bolton and Sunderland reject. A tweak in the playing system at Chelsea and suddenly these are pivotal players in a title winning team. More emphasis needs to be put on our systems and tactics and less on which marque signing we can waste 40m on... Hence why im so critical of SB.
Alonso cost more than our entire back 5...
tizzwoz

Post by tizzwoz »

[/quote]

Alonso cost more than our entire back 5...[/quote]

My point was more about switching 'average' players into different positions and different formations. But yes, maybe not the best example.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:I dont believe that any of those players would want to play for West Ham inc Bats. Why would they? Outside the bottom 3, we have looked the most goal shy team.
and yet, we're 9th in the league for goals scored.

hammerman11 wrote:CF defoe free king 15m gray 15m
who's this "free king" you "definitely" want to sign?!? :?
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Patito wrote:
Even with 2 goalkeepers?

Imagine Ginge with a Carroll on his shoulders. Andy would be getting crocked every game just from getting down.

Looking at your list though, I can't help but feel our owners will be going for the cheapest options they can. Costil, Zabaleta, Defoe probably!

Would go for Costil, Arias and Modeste personally.
With our two goalkeepers at the moment, yes :lol:

There would definitely have to be a stipulation that Carroll is to stay away from others, and low to the ground, for less impact on his knees/ankles!

I would hope that the owners could mix up the cheap with some expensive signings where needed. For instance a summer with Costil, Zabaleta, Defoe, Batshuayi (loan w/ option), Siggy, and one more wouldn't be deemed a bad summer at all, and a transfer fee would only be spent on Siggy!

I could care less if we spend zilch this window, provided the right players are brought in to supplement the squad. Bringing in free agents for the sake of saving money and hoping they come good is not what I have in mind, and I think that's what was focused on last window by the owners.
Jumby
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Sean Maguire has 24 goals in 21 appearances for Cork City.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Danny Whitehead has 1 goal in 16 appearances for Macclesfield.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Brian has 3 in 6 this year for new club Olimpia, Honduran bad boys are Olimpia.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a look at Sean Maguire, players with records like that in that league, and for Cork especially, tend to get scouted. You can just see it now can't you, Maguire becoming a goal machine whilst we spend 8m on Shane Long :lol:
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

This is all a bit premature - as I still think we could go down. Those two points (literally) dropped by Randolph last week could have huge ramifications.

Whatever the league we're in, goalkeeper should be position one we're filling. We haven't had anyone worth a damn since Rob Green.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

[/quote]

Alonso cost more than our entire back 5...[/quote]

My point was more about switching 'average' players into different positions and different formations. But yes, maybe not the best example.[/quote]

Alonso looked good at Sunderland, if I could be arsed to trawl through my posts I said at the time we should gamble on him, we never did.

This is what I find increasingly frustrating about us, we're in a position now (this s*** season notwithstanding) that we could be attractive to players dipping their toe into the Premier league on loan to other teams.

And again a couple of seasons ago before Dembele left Fulham for Celtic we could, and should, have gone in for him, but didn't.

I don't necessarily agree with spending 20/30m on one big signing at our level, I would rather something like this seasons approach (which seems to work for Spurs) of signing several 5m, 10m, 15m players and quickly moving on those that don't work out, rather than going big on one mega signing and holding our breath.

Unfortunately we bought almost exclusively foreign/untested players this Summer and they didn't work out, then went bonkers in Jan and paid over the odds for solid Prem players, who we knew we could get, but that are just steady Eddies.

Bravery mixed with tenacity this window please.

Not bravado mixed with basement bargains.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

Blooming heck I'd be grabbing my cheque book and heading to anderlect to sign the keeper, cm and cf
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Ozza wrote:Blooming heck I'd be grabbing my cheque book and heading to anderlect to sign the keeper, cm and cf
We were linked with the striker back in December. Tall Polish target man?

He was on a season long loan from Russia with rumours the parent club would sell him in January for more than the agreed price with Anderlecht.

He has since signed for them now anyway so would no longer be cheap.