Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by hammer1975 »

Amari'i Bell was due to be out of contract but Fleetwood had an option which they've exercised to extend a year. Not seen much of him but, whilst I welcome more depth at left back personally, would be an odd signing - especially with so many decent, proven at higher standard left backs about.

Would still like us to mess up Wet Brom and sign Charlie Taylor - moving Masuaku to left wing (when fit)

West Brom have offered £3m I've heard and Leeds want £4.5m to avoid tribunal....they also strongly wanted Ashley Fletcher on loan last season which could help
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

DDHammer wrote:Be a big mistake selling Masuaku, don't think he'd look out of place at any club in the world.
Roma were after Feghouli all January but only had cash for a loan IIRC correctly. May be unfair but I get the impression that the Italian clubs are regularly linked with Prem players but struggle with the finances so invariably end up offering half value or loan deals. We may be tempted with Feghouli (perhaps an idea would be to swap him for Lanzini's mate Juan Iturbe?) but can't see Masuaku going there as they'll probably offer less than we paid.

Any club in the world as left mid/wing though. Not left back.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Would be stupid to cash in on Masuaku/Cresswell when it looks like we finally have two competent left backs for the first time in ages!

Unless someone offers £30m+ for Cresswell, I would not be cashing in. Now if the club have decided that Masuaku would be better served as a winger, then I understand this signing. Otherwise I don't see the point.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Cash on on Cresswell if the right offer comes in. Keep Arthur unless silly money is being offered. If he stays fit next season he will be one of our best players.
Hamburger
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Bilic quoted as saying they wasted time on Lacazette so lost other targets. We could have told them that at the time, any decent international striker or other position for that matter will always want Champ League football unless they are paid fortunes and that ain't going to happen with us. Or they are well over 30, unwanted and looking for an easy retirement pay day. Zabeletta a prime example, whilst being a great player he is not someone we can build the future on and we'll be in the same boat in a year or so when he retires. We are worse off now than at the end of last season, we have learnt nothing and done nothing for our future.

Bilic also quite rightly states that most transfer targets have 10 or more clubs after them so getting quality players is difficult. No it's not, outbid the opposition if you really want them and pay them what they are worth instead of penny pinching complex wheeler dealing. We will be offloading 5 or 6 players at least so our chances of getting 'quality' then is pretty remote. It looks like another summer of disappointments, mediocrity and last minute panic buying of square pegs for round holes. Same old, same old.
Of the 14 players signed last summer, only Fernandez, Masuaku, Ayew, Feghouli, Nordtveit and Fletcher are playing first team football (excludes loans). And lets face it, none of them are that great.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think Fernandes and Masuaku will prove to be very decent signings. The rest are as you said not that good. If there is any truth to the Ayew to Marseille rumours then bite their hand off for the 20.5m we signed him for and use it to sign Ihenacho.
I completely agree we will struggle to attract any one special with no European football. There are really only 5 ways we can sign players who are above mid table standard. 1) They happen to be die hard West Ham, 2) They are money oriented and we pay over the top 3) They are currently at a top club and are fed up of sitting on the bench 4) We sign a young or unproven but promising player and get lucky. 5) An established experienced Croatian player who has achieved everything wants to play with Bilic.... or a combination of the above.
In Ihenacho, we can hit 2, 3, and to a lesser extent 4. The issue is if an opportunity to sign a player above our status arises, we have to be quick and decisive and nit mess around.... which does not sound anything like our way.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5524 likes
Total likes: 3044 likes

Post by MB »

Peaches wrote: In Ihenacho, we can hit 2, 3, and to a lesser extent 4. The issue is if an opportunity to sign a player above our status arises, we have to be quick and decisive and nit mess around.... which does not sound anything like our way.
Payet? Carroll loan to buy?
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Fair point about Payet, but he loan to buy on Carroll dragged on a bit and we were the only ones interested.
I am sure there are many suitors for Ihenacho so we best not mess around.

It sounds like we continue to be doing a good job at recruiting good young players with reported deals close for Oxford's Ryan Ledson and Fleetwood's Amari'i Bell.

If our 21 and under crew are as good as we expect or hope, we can afford to look at older players like Fonte and Zabaleta because they will be replaced in a couple of years or sooner by the Oxford's and Burke's and Declan Rice's and Martinez's.

We do need to balance the up and coming youth with putting ourselves in a position where we can attract top established players by finishing 7th again and qualifying for at least the early rounds of the Uefa cup.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

Peaches wrote:I admit Mawson started a bit raw, but I think he has improved and developed this season more than any defender in the league this year and is still very young, By the end of the season he looked better than any of our defenders except Reid and certainly better than Maguire, Gibson and imho Keane.
Carroll is better than any of our central midfielders except for Lanzini. Spurs made a huge mistake selling him. I would think he would be first choice on the left side of central midfield

Although I do agree with you Wilson, we should loan all our promising players to Barnsley.
It's been great watching Carroll kick on at Swansea, such a good technical player who is showing how good he is now. However from that generation of Spurs youth I think the one Spurs will regret selling most is Alex Pritchard, I suspect in a couple of seasons he will be close to the England squad.

Indeed if West Ham are looking for a creative English player who is good in the ball or a cheaper version of Sigurdsson, he'd be my pick.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

DDHammer wrote:Be a big mistake selling Masuaku, don't think he'd look out of place at any club in the world.
100%
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

Probably correct. Don't think Masuaku and Cresswell can both be satisfied competing for LB. One or the other is going to leave. Unless we move Masuaku up to LW.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I know with our owners we'd never sign one of them, let alone the pair, but wow, what a statement Barkley and Iheanacho would send. Young players with great futures too. I think Barkley needs to leave Everton and 1st team football in the capital could be what gets him going, That could happen at spurs but he'd be a smaller fish in a bigger pond and I don't think that's what suits him.

It shouldn't actually be that unrealistic for us to sign these types of players, 2-3 a window, and it would be a great model for success, but we will sign injury prone has-beens instead. New stadium that's meant to push us on, I really wish we would make these types of moves. Ideal summer for me would be:

Outs: Arbeloa, Nord, Feghouli, Snodgrass, Tore, Calleri
Ins: Barkley, Iheanacho

The outlay there wouldn't actually be stupid if we had any other owners.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5524 likes
Total likes: 3044 likes

Post by MB »

Modern wrote:However from that generation of Spurs youth I think the one Spurs will regret selling most is Alex Pritchard, I suspect in a couple of seasons he will be close to the England squad.

Indeed if West Ham are looking for a creative English player who is good in the ball or a cheaper version of Sigurdsson, he'd be my pick.
I know a couple of Norwich fans who rave about him and expect similar to you in terms of his development potential.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Steady on.

Certainly ain't the same player who has an absolute shocker at the Hawthorns as well as a couple of other suspect performances. I do like him in general but I do think some are going a bit ott. I don't even rate him better than Cresswell overall yet, let alone slotting in seamlessly for any old team in the world.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

30m for Jordan Pickford :lol:

I just hope we're sensible this summer, it is always a worry that Sulli has some crackpot ideas and can't help himself.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Absolutely no chance we will sign Barkley or Iheanacho unless I am missing something and they are available on loan?
We will be looking at the relegated teams, freebies and cheap signings from abroad, don't fall for these links while the season ticket deadline is approaching - same **** every year!
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Didn't we spend more on Ayew last season than Iheanacho is being touted around for? We bid double for Lacazete according to the Lyon mangement

Barkley sounds like b*llocks...it doesn't even appear to have come from the club but someone's wish list?

People always link is being linked to players to season tickets...I've never understood that...we're linked to good players throughout the window constantly and isn't it a bit if an insult to other supporters that they spend that kind of money based on rumours?

On Ayew...for me he hasn't been a flop...just not a 20+ million player. If we can get that money back it wouldn't be the worst thing to do
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

ageing hammer wrote:I know I keep banging this drum but this boy is in great form since he joined my local club in Cork City and he is still only 22 years old.

http://www.verywestham.com/2017/04/hamm ... -cant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Billydinho wrote:

This is the equivalent of signing a striker who banged in a load in the West Essex Sunday League.

With respect I disagree with you.

Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, David Meyler all played for Cork City and they didn't do too bad in the Premier League.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Jumby wrote:30m for Jordan Pickford :lol:.
If that's true...you've got to feel they're going to regret that in a few years when he goes for a fraction of that fee
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Barkley's okay, but he isn't top drawer.

Iheanacho is an interesting one though. Bring in a senior, consistently fit centre forward and a good loan as well and that would be welcome.