Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Lostcoco

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Lostcoco »

Probably 5m+ add-ons such as goals scored and appearances which would be good because i see Enner scoring 15+ in the mexican league
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

How could Enner's current value be described as disappointing?I would say that he has never been worth more,imo.He was signed off the back of having a six month goal scoring fest in Mexico and scoring a handful of goals (including against England) in pre WC friendlies and at the World Cup for Ecuador - It was our owners "showing off",imo on a "5 minute wonder".
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Rio wrote:My views on fletcher not being good enough are based on his numerous cameos. Looks lightweight, his touch isn't good enough, positionally poor. He's full of running granted, but I've not seen any other aspect of his game that suggests he's a premiership player.
:? Think he has the best touch out of all our strikers personally, particularly good with his back to goal. Criminal that he didn't get more of a chance ahead of Calleri last season. He'll make it somewhere if not with us.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

ashbanki wrote:It was our owners "showing off",imo on a "5 minute wonder".
And if they hadn't signed him, others would have been digging the owners out for not spending money and never taking a punt on a promising talent.

The constant bashing of our owners is really getting boring now.
Mick-the-Miller

Post by Mick-the-Miller »

ashbanki wrote:How could Enner's current value be described as disappointing?I would say that he has never been worth more,imo.He was signed off the back of having a six month goal scoring fest in Mexico and scoring a handful of goals (including against England) in pre WC friendlies and at the World Cup for Ecuador - It was our owners "showing off",imo on a "5 minute wonder".
I've said elsewhere that I thought West Ham would have to pay someone to take him away, if reports are correct and we get £5m for him then that's a right result!

What amazes me is what Ronald Koeman saw in him, I always had him down as a ultra sensible guy.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

ashbanki wrote:How could Enner's current value be described as disappointing?I would say that he has never been worth more,imo.He was signed off the back of having a six month goal scoring fest in Mexico and scoring a handful of goals (including against England) in pre WC friendlies and at the World Cup for Ecuador - It was our owners "showing off",imo on a "5 minute wonder".
I think it can be described as disappointing in today's climate for a player with as many premier league appearances and international caps as he has and at a decent age. I'm not saying I think he's great -- just that I can't think of many strikers with equivalent experience you'd get for less than £10m
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

everton having bids turned down for gylfi on the same day barkley is making noises about wanting to move for regular football to get into the england squad.

barring the fact that you're more likely to play for england playing irregular football for a big club, that sort of statement usually opens up options outside the top four and spurs' interest seems to have cooled massively.

could he be our "R", or would sully never pay the butcher's bill?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He's not very good.

Forget about experience and caps. People can see he's not very good. The teams who want him, at the level they are, can't afford more than what we're getting.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

You're gonna get less money from a Mexican club. Football transfer economics differ in other countries still. He'd have been at least £8m, if not more, in the Premier League, but he was always gonna go for less to somewhere like Mexico. It is almost acknowledgement that no one who can afford to pay a good fee would have him so you have to take what you can get.

I'd guess we got around £1.5-2m from Everton for his loan fee too so that can kind of be added
belgohammer

Post by belgohammer »

Mick-the-Miller wrote: What amazes me is what Ronald Koeman saw in him, I always had him down as a ultra sensible guy.
Watched him play with Everton (don't ask why).

Still crap, but played better there than with us for some reason.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

People worrying about Walcott's price and wages confuse me. We've certainly been linked with others in his price and wage bracket.

I'm more confused by us supposedly looking to sign another bloody right sided winger to the squad. Especially when we already have Antonio.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

I have been reading that we are improving Lanzinis contract ... with reports saying we will up it to £50k a week...

It sort of puts a lot into question when you consider what we are paying others and looking to pay ...

But surely that figure can't be right??
ashbanki

Post by ashbanki »

£5m is absolute peanuts (we paid that to loan Tore!) and not one taker in the whole of Europe!
For the record I said this at the time (through connections in Mexico) that he was milking cows in Ecuador a few years before and was a winger who made the national team and when their, then, striker -Benitez? died, Enner was tried as a striker and went on a scoring run, which saw him move to the Mexican League! I think I'm right in saying that no one in Europe were remotely interested in him at the money we offered.He surpassed my expectations of him and his "marquee signing" tag put hugely unfair expectations on him, imo.
Spammy The Vee
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

Interesting newspaper article on the front of today's New York Times Sports Sunday section "Soccer's Art Of Calculating A Player's Worth". Not directly West Ham related, but an attempt at an overview. Maybe someone wants to post a link I don't know how ?
ashbanki

Post by ashbanki »

Fishdo wrote:I have been reading that we are improving Lanzinis contract ... with reports saying we will up it to £50k a week...

It sort of puts a lot into question when you consider what we are paying others and looking to pay ...

But surely that figure can't be right??
£55k a week for Nordveit!!!
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

West Ham United are reportedly set to go head-to-head with RB Leipzig for the signature of Yann Karamoh, the young Caen forward.

The 18-year-old joined the youth team setup at the Stade Michel d’Ornano in 2011, and forced his way into the first team last season when he made his debut in August.

Karamoh went on to make a total of 35 appearances in Ligue 1, scoring five goals and assisting in a further four, which helped his side avoid relegation by a solitary point.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Spammy The Vee wrote:Interesting newspaper article on the front of today's New York Times Sports Sunday section "Soccer's Art Of Calculating A Player's Worth". Not directly West Ham related, but an attempt at an overview. Maybe someone wants to post a link I don't know how ?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/spor ... sfers.html
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

[quote="ashbanki
The Davids are not interested in youth as it does not massage their egos enough,imo.Only us Brighton,Burnley,Liverpool and Man Utd have not bothered to scout the U21 Champs, this summer!!
They begrudge the cost of the youth academy......[/quote]

Are you serious?

Martinez, Holland, Quina, Rice, Dobson, Fletcher, Fernandes all young/youth players brought to the club in the last few seasons. Cullen, Burke, Oxford developed by the youth academy.

So we do not got to the U21's - if our scouting is right no need, at that age we should know who the good players are and you get far more out of watching them play for their clubs against seasoned pro's than you would watching their age group games. Buying on the back of international tournaments or performances alone can be a receipt for disaster - Gary Breen?
belgohammer

Post by belgohammer »

^ Exactly

If anything, the youth we bring in is top notch.

Can't say the same regarding senior players :thdn:
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Cheers Bitter for the link..

That's an interesting article and makes a fair bit of sense.... it also makes sense when you look at our way of dealing..... especially when you factor in what we know of our board and the way they approach business generally..... it also does the same when you look at other clubs we know about and the type of guys running them and thier own individual approach to business....

It also in a way makes a case for waiting out negotiations and in effect leaving any final deals etc until or towards the end of season.... especially on the clubs that want too much money for players they say they don't want but still overprice them.... like Liverpool etc

That thinking could well relate to Pezzas post about "diamond in the rough" etc

So from one business point of view you could well argue that's a proper way to go about the transfer window as it's a balancing response to the significant increase in TV money etc