Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Clucking Bell »

I'd still like us to sign Lacazette up front. The only issue I have with him is that he's only 5'9" and I'm not sure that's big enough for a Premier League striker unless you're also built like a tank. Mandzukic is a good shout but he's the wrong side of thirty.

I think we actually need to be looking for two strikers and offloading the current crop. Any strategy that relies upon AC being fit for more than ten games is doomed to failure and I'm past caring what the Sakho issues actually are. He's great when he's fit and feels like it but you can't build a team around him. Valencia, Fletcher and Calleri are flat out not good enough.

At the back, we really need to sort out the right back debacle. Byram is OK but it's difficult to form an opinion when he spends half the season injured or suspended. The real problem here is that anyone who's already playing in the PL who also represents a significant upgrade, is either out of our price range, not for sale or likely to look at us as a step down. We'll probably end up with someone like Kyle Naughton if Swansea go down. Either that or we'll look abroad and hope for the best.

I don't really know what to think about the keeper situation. I don't think we'll be able to get Pickford for two reasons. One, he'll have better options and, two, we won't pay that sort of money for a keeper. Are Adrian as #1 and Randy as #2 good enough? In truth, ****ed if I know! Prior to this season, I'd have said that Adrian was one of the best keepers in the league but, this season they've both looked like a pair of muppets. That said, they've played behind a defence that the word 'porous' doesn't begin to describe.

As to the rest, I dunno. I think the big issue is that Bilic needs to decide how the team is going to play and then pick the players to execute the game plan. I'd like to see Burke and Oxford get phased in as Ginge and Fonte get phased out and I'd like a bit of structure about the midfield five. Where are Lanzini and Antonio going to play? Is Noble still the first name on the team sheet and where is Slav going to play him? Are we going to play with two holding midfielders and, if so, are these Nordveit and Obaing? Where does Chiek play?
My view is that all of these players potentially bring something to the team but, Slav needs to decide how we're gonna play and make sure he's fitting round pegs in round holes.

This season we've played like England. Pick the eleven 'best' players regardless of the positions they actually usually play, send 'em out and hope for the best. Never has worked, never will work.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

Aguero would argue against your view
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Clucking Bell wrote: Slav needs to decide how we're gonna play
This is pivotal.

There are players at our club who I wouldn't rate very highly in a 4-2-3-1 who I think would do well in a 3-4-3, and then vice versa.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I'd rather have Defoe on a free on a two year deal than waste 20m plus on Joshua King, that way we can use that money elsewhere and try and nurture the young talent we have whilst trying to get in a decent top drawer style striker in the future.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

Just out of interest what's defoes weekly wedge likely to be?
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I reckon at his age he'd take 80k a week, I hope! Surely no more than that.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Ozza wrote:Just out of interest what's defoes weekly wedge likely to be?
£80k per week , all thier player wages were revealed in Daily star article April 2016 , could have negotiated a bit more but circa £80k
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

The only issue with Lacazette is that he wouldn't come to us.

Edit: and that our owners wouldn't put their money where their big fat gobshite mouths are.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Are we likely to prioritise the type of players we bring in based on what style the manager wants to play when that manager has only 12 months left on his deal?

I foresee a summer with the board tightening their grip on seeking value rather than loosening it tbh

Don't disagree it's what we should do. The sheer breadth of style of strikers we were after last summer suggested we had no idea what 'type' of striker we wanted and therefore way we would play.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Bubbs's point is the most relevant...to a team that isn't us (sadly). Whilst Bilic himself lacks bision, the club have the least disciplined approach to the transfer market of any top flight side. With that in mind, and the fact the owners are not convinced with Slav (clearly), it just won't happen that we see system and then buy players.

Right now we have seen that we have a decent squad that needs touches of intelligence to fine tune it.

First priorities might be: where does Antonio play best? Is Kouyate good enough for the middle of the park? With 3 centre backs, can Lanzini play deeper?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

If we go many and cheap, as the owners seem to prefer, go for Gray at Burnley and Afobe from Bournemouth to replace Sakho and Valencia.

Hogan has scored one goal since joining Villa.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

bubbles1966 wrote:If we go many and cheap, as the owners seem to prefer, go for Gray at Burnley and Afobe from Bournemouth to replace Sakho and Valencia.

Benik Afobe has 6 in 31 this season, basically 1 in 5.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Jumby wrote:Benik Afobe has 6 in 31 this season, basically 1 in 5.
A vast improvement on Zaza, Calleri, Fletcher, Sakho and Valencia.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'd rather go for 1 in 5 in the PL. Then 1 in 2 in The america copa leaguea division senioria 4.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Still dogsh!t though, he'd cost about 15m at least, sod that.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Is that our level now? We've gone from wanting a 20 goal a season striker to a 7-8 a season one? F**k me :lol:
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

bubbles1966 wrote:If we go many and cheap, as the owners seem to prefer, go for Gray at Burnley and Afobe from Bournemouth to replace Sakho and Valencia.

Neither are anywhere near good enough for us.

Put Sakho or Valencia in a Burnley or Bournemouth shirt and give them regular games - both would look good too.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

nickkarkie wrote:I really like the look of Patrik Schick up front for Sampdoria, so much skill.
Good shout.

I'd imagine if we are looking at strikers then he must be in the 10 or so on our short list.

We were linked with Muriel last month who is the Colombian front-man at Samp. Both him and Schick are being looked at by top clubs.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Think Afobe is a bit below our level, but Gray could be good enough. If we had Defoe and Gray we'd have good options and could play two up top if we wanted.

What Gray would give, where he lacks in star quality, he would offer a physical presence but also movement and running the channels. I think we could do better, but I think he would enhance the performances of Antonio, Ayew and Lanzini.

We wouldn't become an amazing team with Gray, but we'd be much better.

I'm not sure we can get better than Defoe, considering our season and standing.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Wilko1304 wrote:Think Afobe is a bit below our level, but Gray could be good enough. If we had Defoe and Gray we'd have good options and could play two up top if we wanted.

What Gray would give, where he lacks in star quality, he would offer a physical presence but also movement and running the channels. I think we could do better, but I think he would enhance the performances of Antonio, Ayew and Lanzini.

We wouldn't become an amazing team with Gray, but we'd be much better.

I'm not sure we can get better than Defoe, considering our season and standing.
Who hasn't hit the onion bag in 11 matches now and one of those was against us. Don't get the calls for this past it has been