Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: West Ham 2017/18

Post by Jumby »

GK - Adrian
RWB - Byram/Fernandes
RCB - Fonte/Kouyate
CB - Reid
LCB - Ogbonna/Davies
LWB - Cresswell/Musuaku
CM - Obiang
CM - Noble
RAM - Antonio
LAM - Lanzini/Musuaku
ST - Carroll/Defoe

Switch to 3-5-2 with wing backs or 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 with the players mentioned. With the squad depth that we have we should only four need five quality additions, Defoe, Sigurdsson, Davies and possibly another striker and a right back. Give youth a chance when they can and aim for a top ten finish with steady signs of improvement. The most crucial thing is the tactics and understanding of what players can play to a decent level in certain positions.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Jumby wrote:Nordy over Noble? One good game doesn't mean he should oust our captain.
Where did you get one game from?

I've seen nordveit play excellently in that role for us and for a champions league team many times. I've seen noble play in that role poorly for us many times. Kouyate and noble aren't CDM's it's probably been our biggest weakness all season, opposition attackers strolling through our centre mid with no one shielding the defence. Nordveit wasn't our best player today, but his performance influenced our performance more than anyone.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Been saying it for a while....Masuaku left wing.

4-2-3-1 with Masuaku-Lanzini-Antonio as the three

Able to switch into 3 at the back for some games but not use it for every match

New left back (as well as right back, GK, striker and holding mid)
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Peaches »

I think one thing we need to be careful about is signing players from leagues that are very unlike the premier league. We have a handful of matches left and only now are Masuaku and Nordtveit starting to look like the players we thought we signed.
I actually think we have the makings of a decent back 5. Masuaku and Byram are starting to show a lot more promise and both look to fit better into a back 5 than a back 4. I also think Creswell would be better suited as a wing back than as a fullback.
We still need another right back/ right wing back, a top goalkeeper should be a priority.
If today showed anything a mobile striker is a must. Calleri never looked like scoring but we looked so much better with his movement and pressing. I also think an upgrade on Feghouli is needed and we can use another left sided winger.

In: Pickford/Hart, Zabaleta/Malcuit, Oxlade Chamberlain, Will Hughes, Batshuayi/Mandzukic/Ihenacho/Walcott.
Out: Arbeloa, Randolph, Feghouli,Tore, Calleri, Sakho, Carroll, Valencia.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Pickford
Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Masuaku
Obiang Cullen
Traore Lanzini Antonio
Iheanacho

Adrian, Fonte, Nordtveit, Fernandes, Ayew, Carroll, Defoe
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Lb some bloke in his 30s from Serie A.
Midfield some unknown South American Kid.
Upfront we are pleased to say that Carroll is now fit and will be like a new signing. But we also have this Italian bloke on loan, he has been knocking them in for fun in Serie B.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

I'll just be happy for 2016-17 to end

But beyond that, I can't remember a time when I didn't think "we need a decent RB & Striker" to this question

Sort it out with Adrian or add "decent GK" too

Beyond that, it's always Russian roulette with our randoms - doubt that's gonna change
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I suspect we will be signing veterans. (Apart from goalie)

Hart
Zabeleta
Terry
Negrado
Defoe
Carrick
Ginge (another 12 months)

All old. But would make the squad stronger
Aloysius
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Aloysius »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I suspect we will be signing veterans. (Apart from goalie)

Hart. Yes
Zabeleta maybe
Terry No
Negrado No
Defoe Yes if on free
Carrick No
Ginge (another 12 months) Yes because we love him

All old. But would make the squad stronger
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

With that lot we should be asking Saga to sponsor us.
Claret Batman

Post by Claret Batman »

Realistic Summer Wish List

GK
Hart (if affordable)
Pickford

RB
Robertson
Daniels - Bournemouth
Nyom

LW
Traore - Boro (looks promising with further development)
Niang

ST
Defoe (if free)
Arnautović
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Where did you get one game from?

I've seen nordveit play excellently in that role for us and for a champions league team many times. I've seen noble play in that role poorly for us many times.
Today.

I don't give a f**k what he's done elsewhere, he's not done that in a Hammers shirt when played in that position until today, against Premier League opposition. I'm glad he played well today, and I hope he can keep that level up when he's on the pitch for us but I'd pick Mark Noble over him every day of the week. I can't believe how many think that dropping Noble is the answer.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Realistically we need to upgrade Randolph in a big way, a right back, an upgrade on Feghouli, a central midfielder, a left winger and 3 strikers to upgrade and replace Carroll, Sakho and Calleri. That is going to cost more than we can possibly afford. We can however take advantage of out of contract players to minimize cost.
Zabaleta, Charlie Taylor (as left back to allow Creswell or Masuaku to move forward), Jesus Navas, and Dale Stephens are 4 quality, English based out of contract players who are easily good enough to improve our squad leaving transfer fee money to be spent on a top quality goalkeeper like Pickford or Hart and the ever elusive mobile, fit and prolific striker. Ideally we would add the four frees and sign one if the aforementioned goalies and Mandzukic and Batshuayi to replace Randolph, Feghouli, Calleri, Sakho, Carroll, Arbeloa and the departing loanees.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Big Brit
Jermaine Defoe
Ben Davies
Gylfi Sigurdsson
Right back, preferably not Zabaleta
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Claret Batman wrote:Realistic Summer Wish List

GK
Hart (if affordable)
Pickford

RB
Robertson
Daniels - Bournemouth
Nyom

LW
Traore - Boro (looks promising with further development)
Niang

ST
Defoe (if free)
Arnautović

Pickford, realistic? I think you can forget all about that if today's 'Sunday Express ' has it right, Everton will offer him a £90k a week deal in order to beat off interest from Man City and Arsenal to his signature and I'm sure he would much prefer to go to either of these than face another year with a team battling to avoid the drop and unfortunately for us and regardless of our opinions, that is how we will be viewed by most players. For that, you can blame the owners for not properly investing in the squad last summer. Had they done so, this season will have been entirely different and we would have been able to really push on from last year and next season could have been when we reached the next level. Alas, some things never change
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Im starting to think Batshuayi wont do well in this league, same reason why Zaza and Calleri havent come good. They're all "complete forwards" meaning they all rounders and dont have that one standing out aspect about them compared to someone like Carroll who is tall, strong and good in the air and also Welbeck who is very quick.

Think in the prem you need an attribute that sticks out and cant be a jack of all trades striker especially when they dont have a strike partner and just get isolated the whole game because they dont have the strength or pace to beat their man
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Main issue is going to be getting rid of AC.

If Palace stay up I'd offer him in a part exchange for Benteke who Allardyce was trying to shift in January for some reason.

Carroll plus £15m sounds about right.

Fabianksi at Swansea would be a decent signing for a sensible fee, especially if Adrian has been looking to leave us.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

For goalkeeper, nobody has yet mentioned Szezesny. He is still an Arsenal player, currently out on loan at Roma who, going well in Serie 'A' behind only Juve, would suggest he is having a good season. I think he is a first class goalkeeper, certainly not worse than Cech, but whether he is attainable, or wants to stay in Italy at the end of his loan spell, or wants to return to the Premier League. who knows, but could be worth an enquiry
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I would not want Terry here under any circumstances.

I would let the following go.

Calleri
Collins
Adrian
Arbeloa
Tore

Try and get fees for

Carroll
Fletcher
Feghouli

We then need

A right back, Keeper, 2 strikers and a pacy ball winning midfielder.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

For once I hope we have a window that sees us getting transfers that are not bargain cast off's or has beens but proven players in the correct positions we need them for. For example last year we bought 2 wingers for the position Antonio was playing in just because they were cheap, In January we needed a striker so we bought Snodgrass who has scored 7 goals in 28 games and only has a left foot and we already have 2 who prefer that left side role. We also need a right back so we got 'bargain' has been Arbeloa who has only started once and subbed on twice. Then we got Fonte, who although has done OK, is not an investment for the future. The money we have wasted on several stop gaps and unwanted bargains (way over £50M) would have paid for 2 decent stars to build for the future. Only 3 of our 11 signings were involved last week and then 2 only because of injuries. Results generally reflect what you buy, it's not rocket science. Buy dross, get a dross team playing dross football. Yes there is the odd winner but that's just gambling not good business.

With our penny pinching stop gap policy we will never achieve a longterm, decent balanced squad. The ever optimists on here will keep on saying (again) 'put this season behind us and sure up the squad for next year' but deep down they know as well as I do we will only get bargain dross or mediocrity at best.

If ambitious clubs want a certain player for a specific role, they will put an offer in for him that is difficult to refuse to make sure they get him. We seem to put priority on price before suitability. Oh how I dream to see the headline 'West Ham put in massive bid for star player' instead of 'West Ham table desultory offer for unwanted injury prone 34 year old has been mercenary'.