Surrounding the ref...

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Surrounding the ref...

Postby Romford on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Considering we were done a couple of times last season for thafter one of our players were wrongly sent off...I do find it very unfair that certain teams seem to get away with it.

Is it actually a rule or not ?

Doesn't seem to be for the Mancs, Chelsea, Liverpool or Watford.
Romford
Big X

Re: Surrounding the ref...

Postby Nesticles on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I think it's a flexible rule, depending on the teams playing

Man United and that rat Herrera were at it yesterday but get away with it
Nesticles

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Yes, it's an offence. If two or more players surround the ref, at least one booking is meant to be handed out.

If the officials actually bothered to enforce it every time, it would stop overnight.
DasNutNock

Postby Borthos on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Doesn't seem to be consistent, does it?

I quite enjoyed Tyler shutting Neville up on commentary yesterday, after suggesting that it was now the rule that played be sanctioned for such behaviour. Almost as if Neville realised it tends to favour certain teams so he thought "let's leave it there and hopefully people will forget it happened".

Him backtracking over his initial "horror tackle" remarks about Stephens' challenge on Martial which was an excellent, full blooded feet on the floor slide through the ball tackle was also quite amusing.
Borthos

Postby fmgod on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Yeah just needs to be enforced, problem is people get sent off for ie then the media and everyone would be claiming, it needs to happen in my view, should be only captains allowed to speak
fmgod

Postby Harry Hound on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 pm

One of the outstanding characteristics of corrupt and failing organisations as well as societies is the inconsistent arbitrary application of the law. 8-)
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 pm

fmgod wrote:should be only captains allowed to speak

If the football authorities really cared about fairness and respect, they'd implement rules like this one. However, they are not - they only care about money, and controversy helps generate publicity, which helps make more money.
DasNutNock

Postby delbert on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Can anyone recall a ref changing their mind after being surrounded by players, or indeed at all?
delbert

Postby fmgod on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:47 pm

delbert wrote:Can anyone recall a ref changing their mind after being surrounded by players, or indeed at all?

Probably more than you think with in regards to cards and the way players react
fmgod

Postby Row X on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 pm

delbert wrote:Can anyone recall a ref changing their mind after being surrounded by players, or indeed at all?

No, but I bet you it influences his next decision... "I don't want them all surrounding me again, calling me all sorts of names" Even if they say they don't get affected, they do in the subconscious
Row X

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Nope, though there's little doubt that the kind of aggressive gesturing, swearing and threats can influence subsequent decisions.

DasNutNock

Postby Nesticles on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Little respect is shown towards refs. Then to top it off, the standard of officiating in the league is overall pretty poor which doesn't help.

If Redmond throws himself on the ground yesterday after Lindgard catches him in the 2nd half, Lindgard gets a second yellow and is sent off. Advantage Southampton for the rest of that game.

Redmond tries to stay on his feet, Lindgard stays on the pitch after a final warning

If there is no reward for staying on your feet, players aren't going to do it.
Nesticles

Postby vietnammer on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Think it goes in phases i.e. directives will be issued to refs to crack down on it, but this can peter out. Seem to recall 10 years or so ago it became an issue one season, and saw Emmanuel Petit run up to a ref and place his hand on his chest and it was alright get off (you could lip-read it) and a straight red. It's all crept back in since then though.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby bobd_uk on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm

vietnammer wrote:Think it goes in phases i.e. directives will be issued to refs to crack down on it, but this can peter out. Seem to recall 10 years or so ago it became an issue one season, and saw Emmanuel Petit run up to a ref and place his hand on his chest and it was alright get off (you could lip-read it) and a straight red. It's all crept back in since then though.

A Villa player was sent off this weekend for chest bumping a linesman, which is correct. Would like to see that extended to anyone screaming/crowding the ref too. Would stop within a week.
bobd_uk

Postby ashbanki on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:21 pm

To see one of the best English footballers in the current era Michael Carrick, come on the pitch and ,within minutes, dramatically, hurl himself to the ground and feign head injury to get a player sent off, was so sad,imo.
Southampton played football and Manchester United were doing the exact opposite!
Mourinho is the poster boy to this "cancer" that is killing football - a ****ing hypocrite of the highest order.
The sad thing is it has purveyed into every game - How many of us were critical of Kayoute and Antonio for not going down or simulating serious injury on Saturday?
ashbanki

Postby europeanscum on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Genuinely doesn't bother me. Not as bad as it was 10+ years ago.
europeanscum

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Most of the bigger clubs excel in the dark arts of referee haranguing. Man Utd have been getting away with it for donkeys years.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Romford on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Sadly i think its the managers that tell the players to do it....one of Maureen's worst traits is getting his teams to try and influence the ref.

It was no surprise Saturday to see Watford "at it" on Saturday with an Eyetie gaffer
Romford
Big X

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Absolutely wrong whoever does it as far as I'm concerned.

Dan's picture a few posts ago of the scum is the incident I always cite when this subject rears it's ugly head. Also, if I remember correctly, The Purple faced one's response to it was something on the lines of "Well the referee should have stood his ground". What the referee should of done was just brandish the cards. Can you imagine the fury that would have spewed out of the Ivory tower we've come to know as Old Trafford if that would of happened!

It's obviously done to get into the referee's head and sadly, the bigger clubs do it and to a large degree, I believe it eventually works to their advantage.

To me the only players that should approach the ref are the captains and the players involved in the given incident. Anybody else:- Card.

Another one that winds me up is players waving the imaginary card.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:The Purple faced one's response to it was something on the lines of "Well the referee should have stood his ground".

Keane also criticised the referee for not standing still whilst he and his mates threatened him.
DasNutNock

Next

Return to General Discussion