Surrounding the ref...

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Surrounding the ref...

Postby stouffer on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:33 pm

It's been a while since I've read he laws of the game,so they may have changed.It's my understanding that no player is allowed to approach the referee,not even the captain.
The captain is there for the benefit of the ref,to control his team and to make sure that all his players obeyed the referee's instructions.
Perhaps any refs on here can confirm whether this is still the case.
stouffer

Postby Rays Rock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

I genuinely want to see a ref chin a player one day ! The ref wouldn't have to worry about the player retaliating as the player would be rolling around crying for ever.
Rays Rock

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Rays Rock wrote:I genuinely want to see a ref chin a player one day ! The ref wouldn't have to worry about the player retaliating as the player would be rolling around crying for ever.

refs arent the sort of people to be like that though - except uriah rennie perhaps

no one goes to a football match as a kid and thinks ' i wouldn't mind being the bloke in black look at the respect he commands '
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Keane also criticised the referee for not standing still whilst he and his mates threatened him.[/quote]

Which makes that situation even more unbelievable!
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:Which makes that situation even more unbelievable!

No, not really. You wouldn't expect a cowardly c*nt like Keane to do anything else, really.
DasNutNock

Postby Tristan Shout on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Mic them up like rugby, simple, only the captain can question their decisions and the refs decision is final
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

No, not really. You wouldn't expect a cowardly c*nt like Keane to do anything else, really.[/quote]

Fair point and very true Dan.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby peter49uk on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Well it is in print if they would only use it.

What are the new Premier League rules on intimidation

The biggest changes will be concerning players surrounding and abusing the referee.

Anyone running to contest a decision, arguing face-to-face with officials and players using 'visibly disrespectful' actions will be booked.

Players will also be sent off for confronting officials and using insulting/offensive language or gestures.

Just googled.
peter49uk

Postby Gerblatz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

It needs referees to show more character and guts to deal with it in a way that let's the prima donnas know who the boss is during the game. Let them scream and shout, but come down hard on it - surely they have the latitude to use their initiative in those situations....irrespective of the fallout, if it's the right decision taken with a bit of wisdom. There shouldn't be grey areas that allow for doubt when this occurs...unless the alternative is that it's a bent game loaded in favour of the loudest shouters..
Gerblatz

Postby chappo59 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Rays Rock wrote:I genuinely want to see a ref chin a player one day ! The ref wouldn't have to worry about the player retaliating as the player would be rolling around crying for ever.

My uncle who played in an East London league in the sixties had a five foot nothing mate with a temper you wouldn't believe, anyway this guy got sent off so many times for fighting the league banned him for life or sine die as they called it. He decides that if you can't beat 'em etc so he became a referee and lo and behold he got grief from two opposing players in his first game, chinned both of them and walked slowly back to the dressing room shaking his head.
chappo59

Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon

Postby GreenIron on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:Dan's picture a few posts ago of the scum is the incident I always cite when this subject rears it's ugly head. Also, if I remember correctly, The Purple faced one's response to it was something on the lines of "Well the referee should have stood his ground"..

Which is exactly right. He shouldn't have moved an inch. He should have cautioned anybody and everybody who was dissenting. He should have sent off anybody who touched him or continued to dissent.

As in many, many situations in the game (diving, wrestling at corners etc etc), there's no need at all for "new rules", 'guidanceto referees" or any such bollox. Just enforce the laws of the game ffs.
GreenIron

Postby Sloffy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 am

its one of those rules that is left to the discretion of the ref.............and why the big guns consistently get away with it. Refs ( and officialdom in general ) love the elite clubs.

A bit like that big shiny new rule this season that visible signs of dissent will get you a yellow card. Early season against us and against Watford Diego Costa - already on a yellow - did it and got away with it. Harry Arter of little old Bournemouth however, did it against us and got a second yellow.
Sloffy

Postby Sloffy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:35 am

Nobody should speak to the ref unless spoken to.

also, any handball - accidental or deliberate - should be a foul. Gets rid of this grey area where Arsenal & Liverpool players can handball it in the area but play on its accidental, whereas its an immediate penalty if the ball gets smashed from 1 yard away against the shoulder of a smaller clubs player.

Grey areas = elite club assisted decisions
Sloffy

Postby The Gibbins on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:38 pm

I noticed Lingaard was booked for opening his mouth and having too much to say.

It has definitely improved over the years but i think the refs still need to be a bit stronger. As mentioned the big teams still try and hound the referee and you can see when they speak with their officials that players are still surrounding and trying to influence decisions. If they are not a certain distance back cutions should be handed out to make more of a point.

Card waving from players is starting to happen a lot more often now as well, it was nice to see a player booked for it the other day, can't remember who it was it might have been in the Champions League.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby Parkeslife on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Even in Rugby, players who have committed a foul or the captain are able to ask the referee for an explanation, albeit they have to do it very respectfully.

The referees don't have to explain, but do in the main because its in everyone's interest to know the interpretation to prevent it occurring again. The one thing that is certain in Rugby is that if a decision is made, and an explanation given, it is not open for any further debate.
Parkeslife

Postby delbert on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:53 pm

If the players of a club have gone over the top digging out the ref then the solution is simple. The next time that ref is in charge of them then start the match as normal then immediately blow up and book the captain and then anyone else who gobs off, call it a preemptive strike .......
delbert

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 pm

The ref in the pictured Man Utd incidfent was Andy D'Urso (also a friend of close relatives of mine).

Looking back, its interesting that his initial response was that he retreated because he thought he was going to be pushed over.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/625893.stm

In later interviews though he said it was his first seasson in the prem, first game at OT and with more experience he should have stood still...as Ferguson had stated. Easier said than done though, Im sure. Pretty glad TV proved his decision correct.
Westbourne Bill

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 pm

It's genuinely the main thing that football can learn from rugby.

No ifs no buts. If you approach the ref uninvited and you're not the captain then it's a yellow.
RichieRiv

Postby Penfold711 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Whatever happened to the FA disciplining clubs for failing to control their players? I seem to recall that we fell foul of that one a few times for our players surrounding the ref last season.
Penfold711

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Penfold711 wrote:Whatever happened to the FA disciplining clubs for failing to control their players? I seem to recall that we fell foul of that one a few times for our players surrounding the ref last season.

They were never going to risk upsetting any of the cash cows whose pockets they reside in.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion